When is a person actually dead?

• You can feel no pulse

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • He doesn't breathe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His heart beats, but his EEG shows no brain activity at all in the last 5 minutes

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • His heart beats, but his brain is splattered all over the tarmac

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • His heart has stopped beating, but the EEG still shows brain activity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His heart has stopped beating, and the EEG shows no brain activity in the last 5 minutes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Body temperature has dropped below 30C (86F)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Rigor mortis has set in

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

PiercedChest

Transfixed Torso Thirster
See also Jon_b's thread "Doctor, doctor, about that dead guy" 27-03-11.

If you're sure a person has died and can't possibly be resuscitated, then his organs can be used for transplantation (if he himself or the family has consented). Waiting too long means decay has progressed too far already and the organs have become useless, but is there a clear division between life and death?

I think someone dies when his brain dies, that's what makes be someone

Aye dead when heart stopped, brain dead and spirit left the body. As a soldier I am officially dead on the battlefield when the army says so and buries my corpse.

Dead......when he can't pitch a tent

In order to be absolutely positive a body is dead, you must reduce it to ashes. If left in any physical condition short of cremains, there is a possibility, however remote, that a person (even headless) retains a spark of life. Being buried whole is a very bad idea.

In order to be absolutely positive a body is dead, you must reduce it to ashes. If left in any physical condition short of cremains, there is a possibility, however remote, that a person (even headless) retains a spark of life. Being buried whole is a very bad idea.

I don't think that's quite accurate..... as soon as decomposition sets in then we know death has happened. Reducing it to ashes, in my mind is a bit barbaric, but each man to his own.

I don't think that's quite accurate..... as soon as decomposition sets in then we know death has happened. Reducing it to ashes, in my mind is a bit barbaric, but each man to his own.

If decomposition is the criterion for death, then we have to specify the decomposition of WHAT exactly. For instance, there could be a poorly-controled diabetic whose foot has become gangrenous. The foot might very clearly be decomposing, but the person attached to it could, at the same time, be just as clearly alive and breathing. Do you see the problem with decomposition as a standard?

Back