10 cm of snow Causes Travel Chaos in Britain

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
I though my country was fucked but watching scenes from London this morning, I am really proud of the local authorities in Sofia.

10 cm of snow led to all bus service suspended in London, Heathrow airport is closed and some tube trains are out of service.

_45435351_006818356-1.jpg
_45435350_006818362-1.jpg

We get up to 30 cm here and even 40 sometimes every winter but the streets are cleaned immediately, buses trams and the metro continue to operate, I mean wtf 10 cm of snow paralyze a city of 8 million people?

Maybe its because it doesn't snow so often in London, can someone from the UK explain?

Thanks!!!

Partly it's because our snow tends to be heavy and wet, so it's harder to clear. And partly because it doesn't happen often (this is heaviest snowfall in the south for nearly 20 years), so we're not used to it and maybe it's just not worth investing in the kit to clear something that only happens once in 20 years. And partly, yes we're incompetent - come over Meatpie and sort us out!

Thanks DD, I didn't know about that once in 20 years thing...did it snow last year?

I think I remember there was snow in London last year too.

Snowed a bit last winter - some winters recently there's been no real lying snow except on the hills. I was shovelling the snow off my path and back lane this morning - first time I've had to do that for several years, but 15 years ago when I moved here I had to do it a couple of times every winter.
English winters are unpredictable - some years there's hardly any snow or frost and the temperature is up to 10C even in January, some years it's cold with frost and snow from November to March (but never continuously - cold spels with milder between).

I remember when I was a kid there used to be a lot of snow, sometimes up to a metre. There is always snow in witner in Bulgaria.

But shockingly, 2005-2007 were warmest on record with absolutely no snow and temperatures in mid twenties in January.

I went to work with a t-shirt in January 2007, I would never forget that.

We humans are seriously messing with the weather, I hope we don't burn in the summer like they do now in Australia.

There were huge forest fires here in 2007 and 2008.

I just don't know what to expect. For me personally, the planet has gotten warmer.

Back