19-year-old New York Rangers Prospect Croaks in Russia

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Tragedy struck the New York Rangers family today when 2007 first-round draft selection Alexei Cherepanov died after collapsing on the bench late in the third period of a KHL game in Russia. He was 19.

Cherepanov, a right wing for Omsk, was taken from the Avangard bench unconscious after suffering an apparent heart attack during the match against Vityav Chekhov in Moscow Region.

Cherepanov, who had scored a goal in the game, collapsed while sitting beside former Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr Jaromir Jagr after returning to the bench following what had been a routine shift with No. 68.

Cherepanov_ceremony.jpg

The ambulance that had been stationed at the rink had left the building before the game's conclusion. Though reports from Russia vary, if not conflict, it is believed that doctors were able to temporarily revive Cherepanov during a 45-minute wait for an ambulance to return to the rink.

Jay Grossman, Cherepanov's agent, said he had been told doctors were able to detect brain activity upon reaching a hospital. The young man, however, soon passed away.

"We lost a life today; that's the bottom line," Rangers coach Tom Renney said before last night's game against the Devils New Jersey Devils at the Garden. "He's a Ranger, and his loss will have an impact on all of us in our own personal ways.

"This serves as an inspiration for the rest of us not to take anything for granted."
Cherepanov, who was the 17th overall selection in the 2007 draft, attended the Rangers' prospect camp in Tarrytown the June week following his selection. The native of Barnaul, Russia, had visited Brighton Beach during his brief stay in New York.

The Rangers had every intention of signing Cherepanov and bringing him to New York next season upon the expiration of his contract with Omsk.

"Alexei was a great kid who always had a smile on his face," Grossman told The Post. "He was also a terrific competitor who was looking forward to playing in the NHL for the Rangers.

"He had made it clear he was going to come to New York next season. He was set and declarative in his thinking. What happened is just devastating on every level imaginable.

"As far as hockey, it's a shame that the people here didn't get the chance to see him."

Cherepanov_workoutbench.jpg

With Jagr having left the NHL to join Omsk this season, the Rangers have a close, if not intimate relationship, with the Avangard organization. As such, assistant coach Mike Pelino traveled to Russia in late August and spent a week with the team.

Cherepanov had slipped to 17th overall in the draft because of the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Russian Federation discouraged clubs from selecting him.

"Alexei was a very engaging young man who was very excited about what would happen when he got to New York," Pelino said. "He was full of energy and full of enthusiasm.

"I came back very excited about what I had seen. After watching him on the ice and seeing him with Jaromir, my thought was, 'Wow, we did get something special here.
"As a raw talent, he was great."
Rangers GM Glen Sather was informed of the death by Omsk head coach Wayne Fleming, a former NHL coach and a close friend of Renney's, who has remained in touch with Jagr.

"In my last conversation with him, Jaromir told me he thought Alexei could play on the Rangers' second line right now," Renney said. "Wayne was really excited about the youngster's future with the team."

Renney, who has extensive international hockey experience, did not question medical standards in Russia.
"I've always felt comfortable there with our players should the need arise," Renney said.

The New York Post

--------------------------

I imagine he was taken to one of those brutal dirty morgues in Moscow where they absolutely rip young guys open with big knives and that huge saw they used in "Autopsia Vera" vid.

Such a shame. Really cute too.

Attachments

• paul1.jpg
    paul1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 78
  • paul4.jpg
    paul4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 132
  • paul8.jpg
    paul8.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 78
Indeed.

A heart attack at such a young age...

Must have had some heart disease

Attachments

• 20090408132730-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    20090408132730-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 984
  • 20090418130148-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    20090418130148-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 20090418130150-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    20090418130150-ktzmpwkpwlqiiokof.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,180
Yes, he had chronic ischemia - a condition where unsufficient blood reaches the heart.

If you remember I posted a similar case a bulgarian lad dying on the field at 17

Attachments

• 100_0724.jpg
    100_0724.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 445
  • 3761214580_e8ae735b21_o.jpg
    3761214580_e8ae735b21_o.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 205
Yes, I do remember something similar...

A real shame these diseases hit youngsters. Never had the chance to grow up, fulfill their dreams, fall in love, get married, grow old together and such...

makes me sad inside

His face is so handsome.

Back