Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
alan_turing_ds.jpg

A
lan Mathison Turing
was a brilliant English mathematician and computer scientist. He was highly influential in the development of computer science and saved hundreds of lives during World War 2 after breaking german military code.

Alan was gay.

He was prosecuted and convicted for "indencency" in January 1952 and was given oestrogen hormone injections to reduce his libido.

TAHC_Alan_Turing_3.jpg

On 7 June 1954 Turing committed suicide by eating an apple sprayed with cyanide.

He was re-enacting a scene from the 1937 film Snow White, his favourite fairy tale.

The British government released a statement on on 10 September 2009 apologising and describing Turing's treatment as "appalling",

Alan_Turing.jpg

The then Prime Minister Gordon Brown:

Thousands of people have come together to demand justice for Alan Turing and recognition of the appalling way he was treated. While Turing was dealt with under the law of the time and we can't put the clock back, his treatment was of course utterly unfair and I am pleased to have the chance to say how deeply sorry I and we all are for what happened to him ... So on behalf of the British government, and all those who live freely thanks to Alan's work I am very proud to say: we're sorry, you deserved so much better.
Shame on Britain for their retarded treatment of homosexuals in the 1950s.

:unreal:

I would love to see it yes, thanks.

Thanks for this little tidbit of 'good news'. More revalations like this need to be brought out. What would be really great right now is if one of the guys that just took out Bin Lauden went public and said "Oh, btw, I'M GAY" - that would REALLY set those damn religious people's heads spinning!!!

Went to a gay wedding at the week-end and it was great. I have many friends who are gay and they are the best bunch of guys you could get. England still hates gays.

Shame on Britain for their treatment of gays in the 50s and indeed much later than that and although it is largely (officially) gay tolerant now, there are still people who hate gays...........BUT.............Britain was far from alone in its' attitude and there are still countries today where being gay can earn you the death sentence!

Happy birthday Alan

:Birthday Cake:

Would have been 100 today.

Alan-Turing-Centenary-Science-Museum.jpg

Back