jeanpierre53

Forum Newcomer
Hi Guys,
I wonder, how long does it takes before you die when you hang yourself.
I wached the Swedish guy and it took awfull long before he was not moving anymore.
Does anyone haf a clue?
So only the " do it your self hang jobs ", and not the professional snap your neck hangings.

Thanks for the input

It takes about about six to ten minutes depending on how it's done. The method used by the Swedish gentleman is slow and painful strangulation. It can take three or more minutes to lose consciousness and longer for brain death. If you watch the videos of hangings in the Islamic countries, you can see that they are strangling the victims rather than performing the more humane neck snap.

Some of the variables that determine the speed of death include the type of rope, placement of the knot, the initial drop and the weight of the victim. The optimum results are obtained by compressing the carotid arteries which shuts down the blood supply to the brain.

All and all, hanging one's self on a door is inefficient and causes more suffering. There are better ways to terminate one's life.

I've hanged a couple of friends for years and over the years, it has taken them longer to reach the moment of passing out. I don't do the gallows style long drop hanging with them, i just do the pulling out a box or stool from under them. The same goes with choking, bagging, or pillow smothering. They've gotten used to it. It's not like the movies where it takes seconds, it can take a long time. One of my friends lasted eleven minutes before passing out, but he's used to it so he knows how to last longer than a guy who is new to it.

I some 50 years ago put my bathrobe belt around my neck and stood on a pile of magazines with a mirror on the wall opposite me. Once the magazines moved out from under my feet, I could atch myself turn red, get harder, etc. and then suddenly (maybe 50 seconds to a minute later) I passed out. The belt broke and I crumpled to the floor - my weight must have shifted completely to the neck at the point when I passed out.

Once you pass out, it is fairly well-known that the heart continues to beat for anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes and there may be twitches as the heart shuts down and a little bit of movement throughout. Death does not come until the heart stops but the brain may lose some of its capacity immediately and one may not wish to live once the brain has lost capacity.

As many have mentioned it can take sometime depending on how the rope/noose is placed around the neck. If it is slow strangle it can take quite awhile, minutes. It is much quicker if the noose is placed so that the carotids are compressed. If placed correctlty you will go out in about 6-9 seconds. Death will occur several minutes (10-15) later as brain death and the heart shuts down.

I have done sleeper hold play and noose play. It is very dangerous to drop anyone, even a short drop from kicking a chair or stool out from under them, if playing as can hurt the neck. I have never been fully suspended as it hurts like hell. I have been on my toes though with the noose placed high under jaw and chin. If adjusted so that my carotids are compressed I will go out in about 6-9 seconds. You don't need suspension to compress the carotids and take you out and cause death. Simply placing the noose around the neck and allowing the upper body weight to cause constriction of the noose is sufficient, as the Swedish guy did. His mistake was not placing the noose so that his carotids were compressed and he had to endure slowly being strangled. He may have had experience with that though in play and could handle it.

Last edited:
First you'll feel shatp pain, then will be light-headed and pass out after several seconds. Even partial suspension is sufficient to constrict blood flow in carotid and vertebral arteries. From this point you will be able to do nothing. Your body will enter tonic-clonic convulsions, the your brain will start to die. It will last no more than 3-4 min. Aferwars your heart will still beat but evenetually will stop after several minutes.

Judicial hangings attempt to break the neck. The classic hangman's fracture is a hyperextension injury where the head is rapidly whipped backwards by the hangman's knot under the neck. This injury can instantly crush the spinal cord just below the skull. This would cause paralysis of the extremities and body, but the victim is still potentially awake to feel the strangulation that follows. This is probably why a hood is used, to hide the suffering expressed in the face.

Depending on the body of the victim, it could take minutes for strangulation to occur, and longer for loss of consciousness. If you were having second thoughts after starting, it could be a really long time perceptually before loss of consciousness.

Death by hanging, is always caused by strangulation. Short drop, no drop, long drop, hoisted-up, strangulation is what causes death. Long drop causes paralysis, so you don't kick or flop around as much. The "English" always left the person "hanging" for 1 hour, to make sure they were "dead". If the noose is place at the right-side back of the neck or directly behind the neck, this will cause you to pass out quicker, "second". Placing the noose to the sides of the neck, will not compress the neck arteries totally, and it will take much longer for a person, to pass out. If you are "hanged" this way (other than the long drop) you will be conscious for a few minutes. Also the higher the noose is on the neck (up under the jaw bone) the longer it takes to pass out. If the adam's apple is compressed or damaged, this would cause death quicker, (and it hurts like HELL).

If you are "hanged" this way (other than the long drop) you will be conscious for a few minutes.

I don't mean to be rude, but where are you hearing that?
People routinely loose their lives in solo play because they don't realize how fast even a partially suspended person looses consciousness.

Hey be careful youse guys, wanna see your posts for years to come, not read about you in the obits!

Breath control has always worried me. I knew a bartender years ago here on Phoenix who did not survive a mock hanging. ( I think is was a hanging could maybe be just breath control ) I have always used a safety Harness and if your victim is a good actor it can be real enough. It always gets me going thinking of him swinging at the end of the rope and piss dripping off his boots. He would do death twitches, his spurs would jingle and his leathers would creak

JJ

I have passed out when play hanging and that happens in less than a minute because it is lack of blood supply to the brain. However, the victim might move and thrash around for much longer but they will not know it. Some people estimate the total death (cells die off) will take up to 30 to 45 minutes even though the heart may stop pumping at about 20 to 25 minutes. I suspect the Swedish guy may have been unconscious when he was flapping around or he might have grabbed the rope and saved himself.

I have a strong desire to do stuff like this, but know to definitely NOT do it alone. No matter how, "fool-proof" the set up is, accidents happen. There are countless pics out there of guys who died in their, "fool-proof" set ups.

I've seen a few no drop hangings where they went on for some time. A couple as long as 90 seconds still kicking. I don't think anyone knows for sure what you'll get or why. I suspect a thick noose with the knot to the side gives you a better chance to last awhile.

One I saw was a Russian soldier hanged by some kind of Muslim fighters. He went on for clearly over a minute. His hands weren't tied so he was flailing around. It looked like he was conducting a fucking orchestra!

The Iranian woman hanged between the two guys kicked it up for about that long too. She had a thick noose and her knot was kind of to the front. The two guys were still. I think they were hanged and lowered so she could be hoisted up.

Another great one was a group of five or so Iranians I think, being hanged. One guy in a purple shirt pulled the coolest move ever and put his own noose on. Then he stood there until a guy came along and tied his hands. You never know, maybe he was into it and knew how he wanted to hang? He put his knot to the side. Once hanged he thrashed around and his hands came untied. The camera moved around so you didn't see his whole hanging but a glimpse of him looking like he was waving to the crowd. The video didn't go on long but the last time you saw purple shirt, it still looked like he had some fight left in him.

One I saw recently, I think just surfaced from Libya. The guy isn't cooperating and they have to lift him up to get the noose around his neck and then the push him off. He's clearly kicking for over 30 seconds and then the camera goes to the crowd. It comes back after another 20 seconds or so and it looks like he's done.

The guy in the purple shirt is great. I love the arm coming loose.

Back