Beuen

Forum Resident
3783704407_db17eabd36.jpg

Joseph Paul Jernigan broke into a house and then beat, stabbed, and shot a man to death. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to die by lethal injection. Jernigan decided to donate his body to science. After his execution, his body was used as part of the Visible Human Project. His body was frozen and then sliced into sections which were then digitally imaged to provide a three-dimensional view of the human body.

And here are all the slices of Jernigan as they cut through him from head to toe.

There is a documentary of the entire process where they show the process of the scientists creating the images and creating the multiple views. I will see if I can find it. Here is some more info on the topic:

The male cadaver was encased and frozen in a gelatin and water mixture in order to stabilize the specimen for cutting. The specimen was then “cut” in the axial plane at 1 millimeter intervals. Each of the resulting 1,871 “slices” were photographed in both analog and digital, yielding 15 gigabytes of data. In 2000, the photos were rescanned at a higher resolution, yielding more than 65 gigabytes. The female cadaver was cut into slices at .33 millimeter intervals, resulting in some 40 gigabytes of data.

The term “cut” is a bit of a misnomer, yet it is used to describe the process of grinding away the top surface of a specimen at regular intervals. The term “slice,” also a misnomer, refers to the revealed surface of the specimen to be photographed; the process of grinding the surface away is entirely destructive to the specimen and leaves no usable or preservable “slice” of the cadaver.

The data is supplemented by axial sections of the whole body obtained by computed tomography, axial sections of the head and neck obtained by magnetic resonance imaging, and coronal sections of the rest of the body also obtained by magnetic resonance imaging.

The scanning, slicing and photographing took place at the University of Colorado's Health Sciences Center, where additional cutting of anatomical specimens continues to take place.

The male cadaver is from Joseph Paul Jernigan, a 38-year-old Texas murderer who was executed by lethal injection on August 5, 1993. At the prompting of a prison chaplain he had agreed to donate his body for scientific research or medical use, without knowing about the Visible Human Project. Some people have voiced ethical concerns over this. One of the most notable statements came from the University of Vienna which demanded that the images be withdrawn with reference to the point that the medical profession should have no association with executions, and that the donor's informed consent could be scrutinised.

The 59-year-old female donor remains anonymous. In the press she has been described as a Maryland housewife who died from a heart attack and whose husband requested that she be part of the project.

I am not sure that I would want to be frozen and then ground into visible slices. Then again, I would be dead so what difference would it make to me. It would only be the people left behind that have an issue with it.

Back