Two cute young guys drown in the Thames trying to save a dog

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Two best friends drowned after leaping into a freezing river to save a pet dog.

The young men had been walking by the Thames with their dogs when one of the animals got into difficulty in the water.

As the dog struggled against the current, owner Kadir Shillingford leapt in to try to save it.

article-0-0BB5F259000005DC-219_224x331.jpg
article-0-0BB5DEC3000005DC-847_224x331.jpg

He was overcome by the freezing water, and 19-year-old Ian Coy jumped in to help.
Passers-by could only watch in horror as the pair, both from Staines, West London, disappeared beneath the torrent and failed to resurface.

The dog, an American Staffordshire terrier called Bailey, scrambled on to the bank unhurt.

Last night mourners held a candlelit vigil by the riverside and laid flowers at the spot where the pair died.

Mr Coy’s father, Andrew, had to identify his son’s body.

‘It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do,’ said the 46-year-old.

Mother Collette Coy, 44, added: ‘Ian lived life to the full. He didn’t think about putting himself in danger, it was just an instinctive reaction to jump in to save his best friend.

‘He was a mummy’s boy and I will always love him.’

The family will fight for more life-buoys and signs to be put up around the quiet riverside at Penton Hook Lock in Staines.

Friends said both men had been devoted to their American Staffs, Charlie and Bailey, and often walked them where the tragedy happened.

Jade Francis, 26, said: ‘They were both full of life and adored their dogs. They came down here for some peace and quiet. I can’t believe it.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...drown-trying-save-pet-dog-freezing-river.html

Back