Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy snow tonight in Sofia, pic from a few minutes ago.

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil [terrorists] and on the good [Bulgarians], and sendeth rain on the just [Meatpie] and on the unjust [Hillary]."

Same goes for snow.

:retard:

No, it's Bulgarian Orthodox which is the oldest Slavic Orthodox recognized as an independent Church by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 927 AD.

There is a Catholic cathedral in Sofia as well called St Joseph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_St_Joseph,_Sofia

Thanks Meatpie. I did not even know there was a Bulgarian Orthodox Church!

When I asked about Gothic-looking cathedrals, I was really thinking about the Medieval ones - though doing a quick Google I see that Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is 19th century.
For British cathedrals and other buildings I can normally tell the difference fairly easily between genuine medieval and what we call Victorian (ie later 19th century) - unless they are a mixture or very heavily restored in which case it is difficult. For Western European I find it a bit more difficult, because I do not know the genuine medieval styles so well although mostly the British architecture is fairly close to the Continental (especially French) - 'fairly' being the operative word since although the actual styles aren't that different our cathedrals tend to be much longer but lower, and more likely to be a mixture of different periods rather than all built/rebuilt in a single consistent style. But for Eastern and especially Southeastern Europe, the styles are so different that I can't easily tell the difference at all, certainly from a distant view.
All our Medieval cathedrals became Anglican (Protestant) at the Reformation, so all our Catholic cathedrals are 19th-20th century (and there are 19th-20th century Anglican cathedral as well). Mostly I do not like the 19th-20th century ones much, but there are just a few which I do find interesting.

Deaddirty, can some of the world's great pipe organs be found in the world's great cathedrals? I'm thinking maybe pipe organs were more of a Protestant instrument, but some of the music Bach wrote for them certainly sounds Gothic.

Certainly many great cathedrals contain great pipe organs, and a quick google indicates just as many Catholic as Protestant cathedrals -
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...A&biw=1064&bih=1743#imgrc=_&spf=1518641420292
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou...i22i30k1j0i13i30k1j0i13i5i30k1.88.dNbF3h19_UI
The second link is giving mainly English cathedral organs, the first images from all over, mainly Continental Europe.
And this lists a 'top ten' including at least one 6th-century organ in Germany.
http://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/organs/
'Gothic' in this sense is Medieval architecture, from the late 12th to the 15th-16th centuries - Bach's music is baroque (and very fine it is too).

There is a very famous bit of pipe organ music that sounds like a horror movie...very sinister. I wish I knew the name of it, but I don't. However, everyone would recognize the few bars I have in mind. They are deep and sonorous and scary. They are BAROQUE! :D

Trolleybus in Orenburg, Russia photo from 1995.

S6edvKz.jpg

I don't understand how that works. I thought electric trolleys had to ride on rails. Anyway, that rusty bus is so crowded, people are soon going to start climbing on the roof, like they do in India, and then it will only be a matter of time before we have a photo of someone being electrocuted.

Snow mixed with Saharan dust falls in Romania and Bulgaria

Photos from March 23, 2018.

Sepia snow, looks like Bulgaria is still in the 19th century.:happy banana:

Usually snow lands clean and white, and then slowly gets dirty from traffic and dog piss. When these flakes came down they were already an unattractive color. I hope this turns out to be a one-time meteorologic anomaly.

Well oK, Romania looks as if it is still in the 9th century then.

The presence of telephone poles is a dead giveaway that those sepia photos were not taken in 9th century Romania. I guess the presence of the photos themselves is a clue that we are not looking at the 9th century. Even Count Dracula hadn't made himself known in Transylvania yet. :p

ither would be remarkably advanced for 9th century Romania, as indeed would be sepia photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back