Status
Not open for further replies.
Moscow blocks of flats

0potwTH.jpg

Huge traffic jam in Orenburg, Russia on Christmas day during heavy snowfall.

BVvx5jm.jpg

Why would all these people want to go out on the road on Xmas day during a heavy snow? They are gluttons for punishment.

The world’s most dangerous highways, along frozen Siberian rivers

In winter vital supplies of food and fuel are regularly delivered to remote settlements in Siberia by trucks driving on frozen rivers and lakes.

Sometimes the ice cracks and the vehicles get stuck or sink as photo gallery below shows. Today temperatures in Oymyakon dropped to -62°C (-79.6°F).

Family of Amur tigers thrive in one of coldest winters on record 2018 in Siberia

It is estimated there are only around 500 Amur tigers in Siberia but their numbers are incrasing due to preservation measures by the Russians.

Photos taken at Land of the Leopard National Park
Primorsky Krai, Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Leopard_National_Park

In winter vital supplies of food and fuel are regularly delivered to remote settlements in Siberia by trucks driving on frozen rivers and lakes.

Sometimes the ice cracks and the vehicles get stuck or sink as photo gallery below shows. Today temperatures in Oymyakon dropped to -62°C (-79.6°F).
I've read that there's an above-average amount of depression and alcoholism in Siberia, and I would guess it has something to do with living in that never-ending cold. Humans can live under such conditions, but they don't thrive.

I feel just a bit guilty for thinking this, but I was pleased when that tiger mauled one of the gay guys who put on trained tiger acts in Las Vegas. The victim was either Siegfried or Roy, one or the other. Such a shocker may have been what was needed to put a long overdue end to such cruel shows.

Toxic Smog over Sofia, Bulgaria in January 2018

Deep inversion layer filled with toxic smog blankets Sofia, Bulgaria in January 2018. Levels of fine particulate matter reach 800 µg/m³ in the evening hours. Burning of coal and wood for heating of homes and car exhaust are the two major causes of persisten air pollution in the winter months over Sofia.

It's nasty, but I don't think there's anything the populace can do to remedy the situation. People need to drive to get to work, and people need to keep warm by whatever means are available. Sofia needs a few nuclear reactors and a million electric cars.

That is a beautiful building! Does the word "Cathedral" always refer to Catholic churches? This cathedral looks so different from the famous ones in Europe.

Indeed beautiful building and picture.

Cathedral is a church where the bishop has his seat "cathedra". The word cathedral is used in Protestantic countries like Finland and Sweden also.

As Bearkill says, there are cathedrals wherever there are bishops - Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, and some though not all other Protestant denominations.
Meatpie, I imagine from the architecture that that is an Orthodox cathedral - and I am guessing from the name that it is Russian Orthodox rather than Greek? Though if there are Catholic cathedrals that far east in Europe, do they still look broadly Gothic as I know they do in Slovakia for instance, or do they look more like Sofia?

Meatpie, I imagine from the architecture that that is an Orthodox cathedral - and I am guessing from the name that it is Russian Orthodox rather than Greek?

:retard:

No, it's Bulgarian Orthodox which is the oldest Slavic Orthodox recognized as an independent Church by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 927 AD.

Though if there are Catholic cathedrals that far east in Europe, do they still look broadly Gothic as I know they do in Slovakia for instance, or do they look more like Sofia?

There is a Catholic cathedral in Sofia as well called St Joseph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_St_Joseph,_Sofia

Heavy snow tonight in Sofia, pic from a few minutes ago.

There is a Catholic cathedral in Sofia as well called St Joseph.
I'm afraid St. Joseph cathedral is not going to inspire anyone to join the Catholic church. It is an ugly building, compared to Nevsky cathedral. I will become a Bulgarian Orthodox, just to have a good excuse for making frequent visits to their place of worship in Sofia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back