Whybother

Esta la Tierra Linda...
I've wrote an interactive story that members can participate in. The way it works is, as the story unfolds, readers can ask from five imaginary characters called the oracles. They'll tell you about things that you would like to know about the characters and things that appeared in the story. The story is mostly told through the point of view of the narrator who is reluctant to be a necrophile that meets people along the way that are necrophiles. The story consists of love, betrayal, deceit and conspiracies and requires the reader's imagination and sense of empathy to the events happening as the story unfolds. The story is almost a full fledged novel but not structured to be as such which makes it impossible to work without the participation of the readers. The five oracles are,

Lola the Gypsy
She tells you about the past of the characters that the readers are interested in.

Lou Yueh the Oracle
Tells you about things that are hidden that happened in the present.

Eren Maz the Persian Cloth Merchant
He tells you what the characters were wearing that the readers are interested in.

Halgimesh the metalsmith turned glassmaker
He answers your random questions about anything in the story.

This thread is where the stories will appear. Readers can ask questions in the following link.

http://www.cutedeadguys.net/showthread.php?p=44329#post44329

Please post your questions and comments in the link rather than here whether it is positive or critical. I hope everyone got what I'm trying trying to say. Hope you all find this a little amusing.

Last edited:
picture.php
picture.php

Visualisation of how 'he' looks like because I know you all will only be interested about the story if there is at least one cute guy. These two guys combined to form how the first character met by the narrator in the story looks like.

It was morning. As usual, I woke up very early. Having had cleaned the apartment yesterday, I can't be bothered, so I thought I'll wait until the stores open to do the groceries. In the meantime, I thought I'll just go to his room until he wakes up. I sat by one side of his bed and nudge him gently because he gets easily cranky in the morning. He was reluctant to respond, so I just sat and wait until he comes around. After some minutes bored waiting, I expose the curtains letting the sun's bright white rays fill the room. He began to move.

"Morning." he greeted while rubbing his eyes. It was still rather cold. He rubs his shoulder and reach for his white tank top under his pillow and puts it on. Then he said,

"I feel great today! Just perfect, tops!"

"I guess you're a morning person now huh? Breakfast?"

"Mhm. Sure. Come here, I need to talk to you." I walk towards him

"What is it?" I asked.

"Come sit next to me." tapping the mattress with his hand.

"I think today is the day for me."

"Woe, don't say it, just don't!"

"You told me to stall. I did. Come on, get the cam."

I turn to the right bedside drawers and pulled out a video cam. He turns on the video cam and starts recording.

He began by saying the date, time and introducing himself...,

"... Today I'm going to die, but I'll be leaving behind my body for you guys to enjoy. Check this out."

He turns to sit on the left side of the bed and began recording his whole body. Then he lifts his leg back on the bed and place the camera in his trunks.

Bewildered I asked, "Why are you putting the video cam in your pants?"

He replied, "Dude! I'm having a morning erection..."

"I don't need to know that. I'm off to make breakfast."

"Make me a roast beef sandwich. You know how I like it, and doggy bag it, we're going to our mansion today."

"Since when did you have a mansion? Our?"

"It'll be yours when I die along with the rest of my things."

"You are not going to die! By the way, what am I going to do with your stuff. Give them to charity when you die?"

"I did my fair share of philanthropy this last six months even before I quit my job just like you told me to."

"I never told you to quit your job. You were the CEO. What were you thinking?"

"I was jerk! I ruined a lot of people's lives. You told me to be a better person."

"Why kill yourself? I don't get it"

"My motto in life, live fast, die young, leave a good looking body. I don't wanna die old."

"Why not?"

"Who wants to fuck an old man, let alone a deaded one."

"Don't swear. You know I don't like swearing. Also, deaded is grammatically wrong. It's dead. You're still in your prime, not old. You still got a lot ahead of you."

Smugly he responded, "Chill man! You're being too politically correct. I am a prime male specimen aren't I. You know know ya betcyah!"

"Enough! What is up with you today. I don't want you to die. That's it! Go get ready so you can show me that mansion you promised. I don't believe it's real."

"You'll see, it's not too big but the location..."

"I'll believe it when I see it. Go and shower!"

He did a soldier salute, just to annoy me said, "Yes ma’am!" and rushed to the bathroom.

The bathroom went silent for quite sometime so I thought I'd go check up on him. Just to entertain him.

"Baby?! Are you done honey?!"

He popped his head through the bathroom door into the walk in closet, amused, "Did you just call me babe...? And honey?"

"Yes, just to mess with you."

"You're a real spirit breaker. I thought you were warming up to me."

"Whatever. Are you done?" I ask.

"Yeah, just done." He replied then walked out the bathroom stark naked just as I was about to come into room.

I exclaimed in shock, "Oh gosh!" and walk out of the room.

"What?! It's not the first time you see my dick."

" It's not funny! And I didn't do it on purpose!"

"I don't get?! I know I'm hot! Never had any complaints. I'm too hot handle for you to handle, no doubt!"

"Oh shut up! Don’t flatter yourself. Put some pants on."

I waited until his voice came over, "Pants on! Come on in wuss!"

Peering in, he's now sporting a white briefs.

"Happy? Help me pick something to wear. I wanna look my best. Maybe I should be in my birthday suit to show off my smokin' bod."

“Birthday suit?” slightly confused by what he meant.

I just sighed at what he just said while sitting on a modified chair that functions like a stool like the ones you see in shoe shops and waiting rooms. With a hint of sarcasm I said "Have you been planning this funeral for quite sometime. Who else did you invite? Hah!..... Did you went to the shrink as I told before about your obsession with your death?"

"I had a Degree in Psychology. I'm aware of what and why I'm doing this. I'm not crazy! Trust me."

He stood still as if he was waiting or hearing something out. I sat speechless wondering what he was doing. Then finally broke the awkward silence.

"I think I'm cumming." he ejaculates, almost literally.

"You must be kidding!" I said with that face 'What is wrong with you?'

"Yeah, I'm cumming. Ohhh! That feels good!"

I cringe. I guess I don't get the point why some people masturbate to have it off. I just don't. His underwear was showing a small wet spot that began to spread and got bigger.

"You should change your undies." I told him.

He hold out his hand telling me to wait.

"What are you doing?! I asked.

He made all sorts of grunts and sounds, "Agggh! Still producing man juice." Then he made a sighed of relief. "Ahhh...!"

Pleased with what he did, he stretch his underwear a little to see the size of the wet mark he produced.

"Man that felt good! I've been holding it in the whole morning." He began to carefully began to slide the underwear off.

Before I could turn my back, "Now don't you fucking turn away. Sorry I said fuck. Hehehe... Look here! You better enjoy this and don't make any faces!" I felt sorry for him so I did trying very hard to keep a straight face. He was careful not to let the semen to touch his legs then leave it on the floor. He rubbed his palms and sniffed them then walks towards the drawers where his underwear’s were kept.

"Aren't you going to wash your hands and you know whats’ before you put a fresh pair on?"

"Come on! It's my cum. You washed the cum I made in this house all the time. What's up man? Don't you like to touch a manly, virile, studly cums all this time? I betcha yer enjoying every minute you get that cum on your fingers, you were fantasizing about me. Don'tcha wish you do do, don'tcha! YAH!"

"Don't remind me. I had a hard time to clean up after every time you masturbate in front of the PC in your study checking out dead guys' corpses. Cleaning in between the keyboard was a nightmare. Before I got my own laptop, I had to use yours to use the internet. First time I used it, I didn't know what the crusty stuff was. You only warned me to clean it up before using it. I thought you were just trying to get me to do your chores. When I found out what you were doing in your study when you weren't working, I finally figured out what the mouse was for and why it has a mode for vibrate. I had OCD for the whole year obsessively washing my hands.

"I got you to hold something that touched my..."

Before he could say the word, I stopped him, "Don't! And that's as close in that tone of intimacy you're ever going get from me."

He sniggered. "I gotcha didn't I!" He then pick up his underwear with the semen. "What are you going to do with it?"

"Me?" I got up and pushed him to march back towards the bathroom.

"Oh woe! You touched me! Now I'm going again!" He held his suspender like a bowl to catch the semen. I took my hands off his back.

"Don't you fucking dare take your hands off me. Put your arms around me and look at it!"

I did as he said and exclaimed, "What are you trying to prove anyway?"

When he finally stops, I pushed him towards the bathroom instead he turns and told me to look at the sticky white stuff on the once clean white briefs.

"Touch it!" He said. I shook my head turned his shoulder to march towards the bathroom again. Again he turns and said, "Why not?! This liquid is precious. It is the source of life. You know it comes from a potent, virile male breed. Stop treating it like crap! He cups some semen in his hand and tried to touch my face with it. I avoided, he laughed. I finally got him into the bathroom and left him there so I can go back and sit on the stool.

He came out of the bathroom showing his hands, "I'm clean, now what?"

I simply dictate the fact, "You were suppose to get dress so you can show me that mansion of yours."

"I tried to wash my cum off my ‘gundy’ with hot water but it's still sticky. I left it in the wash basin. Do you need a strong detergent to wash my cum off?" He said smugly.

"I'll do it later when we come back home after you showed me your mansion." I sighed.

"You better not. When I die, you'll have that to sniff on my manly scent when you miss me." he glanced at me hoping for a reaction but I glanced at him right back with indifference.

"You're staring at me... Naked."

"So?" unsure what he was implying.

He did a cocky strut from the bathroom and said, "You're finally enjoying this, aren't you?" while showing off his body.

"Oh do shut it! Get dressed. I'm excited about seeing your new mansion."

"It's not new, not that you know. I'm excited about you, but of course, you don't believe that!"

picture.php
picture.php

Visualisation of how 'he' looks like because I know you all will only be interested about the story if there is at least one cute guy. These two guys combined to form how the first necrophile in the story looks like.

It was morning. As usual, I woke up very early. Having had cleaned the apartment yesterday, I can't be bothered, so I thought I'll wait until the stores open to do the groceries. In the meantime, I thought I'll just go to his room until he wakes up. I sat by one side of his bed and nudge him gently be cause he gets cranky in the morning. He was reluctant to respond, so I just sat and wait until he comes around. After some minutes bored waiting, I expose the curtains letting the sun's bright white rays fill the room. He began to move.

"Morning." he greeted while rubbing his eyes. It was still rather cold. He rubs his shoulder and reach for his white tank top under his pillow and puts it on. Then he said,

"I feel great today! Just perfect, tops!"

"I guess you're a morning person now huh? Breakfast?"

"Mhm. Sure. Come here, I need to talk to you." I walk towards him

"What is it?" I asked.

"Come sit next to me." tapping the mattress with his hand.

"I think today is the day for me."

"Woe, don't say it, just don't!"

"You told me to stall. I did. Come on, get the cam."

I turn to the right bedside drawers and pulled out a video cam. He turns on the video cam and starts recording.

He began by saying the date, time and introducing himself...,

"... Today I'm going to die, but I'll be leaving behind my body for you guys to enjoy. Check this out."

He turns to sit on the left side of the bed and began recording his whole body. Then he lifts his leg back on the bed and place the camera in his trunks.

Bewildered I asked, "Why are you putting the video cam in your pants?"

He replied, "Dude! I'm having a morning erection..."

"I don't need to know that. I'm off to make breakfast."

"Make me a roast beef sandwich. You know how I like it, and doggy bag it, we're going to our mansion today."

"Since when did you have a mansion? Our?"

"It'll be yours when I die along with the rest of my things."

"You are not going to die! By the way, what am I going to do with your stuff. Give them to charity when you die?"

"I did my fair share of philanthropy this last six months even before I quit my job just like you told me to."

"I never told you to quit your job. You were the CEO. What were you thinking?"

"I was jerk! I ruined a lot of people's lives. You told me to be a better person."

"Why kill yourself? I don't get it"

"My motto in life, live fast, die young, leave a good looking body. I don't wanna die old."

"Why not?"

"Who wants to fuck an old man, let alone a deaded one."

"Don't swear. You know I don't like swearing. Also, deaded is grammatically wrong. It's dead. You're still in your prime, not old. You still got a lot ahead of you."

Smugly he responded, "Chill man! You're being too politically correct. I am a prime male specimen aren't I. You know know ya betcyah!"

"Enough! What is up with you today. I don't want you to die. That's it! Go get ready so you can show me that mansion you promised. I don't believe it's real."

"You'll see, it's not too big but the location..."

"I'll believe it when I see it. Go and shower!"

He did a soldier salute, just to annoy me said, "Yes ma’am!" and rushed to the bathroom.

The bathroom went silent for quite sometime so I thought I'd go check up on him. Just to entertain him.

"Baby?! Are you done honey?!"

He popped his head through the bathroom door into the walk in closet, amused, "Did you just call me babe...? And honey?"

"Yes, just to mess with you."

"You're a real spirit breaker. I thought you were warming up to me."

"Whatever. Are you done?" I ask.

"Yeah, just done." He replied then walked out the bathroom stark naked just as I was about to come into room.

I exclaimed in shock, "Oh gosh!" and walk out of the room.

"What?! It's not the first time you see my dick."

" It's not funny! And I didn't do it on purpose!"

"I don't get?! I know I'm hot! Never had any complaints. I'm too hot handle for you to handle, no doubt!"

"Oh shut up! Don’t flatter yourself. Put some pants on."

I waited until his voice came over, "Pants on! Come on in wuss!"

Peering in, he's now sporting a white briefs.

"Happy? Help me pick something to wear. I wanna look my best. Maybe I should be in my birthday suit to show off my smokin' bod."

“Birthday suit?” slightly confused by what he meant.

I just sighed at what he just said while sitting on a modified chair that functions like a stool like the ones you see in shoe shops and waiting rooms. With a hint of sarcasm I said "Have you been planning this funeral for quite sometime. Who else did you invite? Hah!..... Did you went to the shrink as I told before about your obsession with your death?"

"I had a Degree in Psychology. I'm aware of what and why I'm doing this. I'm not crazy! Trust me."

He stood still as if he was waiting or hearing something out. I sat speechless wondering what he was doing. Then finally broke the awkward silence.

"I think I'm cumming." he ejaculates, almost literally.

"You must be kidding!" I said with that face 'What is wrong with you?'

"Yeah, I'm cumming. Ohhh! That feels good!"

I cringe. I guess I don't get the point why some people masturbate to have it off. I just don't. His underwear was showing a small wet spot that began to spread and got bigger.

"You should change your undies." I told him.

He hold out his hand telling me to wait.

"What are you doing?! I asked.

He made all sorts of grunts and sounds, "Agggh! Still producing man juice." Then he made a sighed of relief. "Ahhh...!"

Pleased with what he did, he stretch his underwear a little to see the size of the wet mark he produced.

"Man that felt good! I've been holding it in the whole morning." He began to carefully began to slide the underwear off.

Before I could turn my back, "Now don't you fucking turn away. Sorry I said fuck. Hehehe... Look here! You better enjoy this and don't make any faces!" I felt sorry for him so I did trying very hard to keep a straight face. He was careful not to let the semen to touch his legs then leave it on the floor. He rubbed his palms and sniffed them then walks towards the drawers where his underwear’s were kept.

"Aren't you going to wash your hands and you know whats’ before you put a fresh pair on?"

"Come on! It's my cum. You washed the cum I made in this house all the time. What's up man? Don't you like to touch a manly, virile, studly cums all this time? I betcha you were enjoying every minute you get that cum on your fingers, you were fantasizing about me. Don'tcha wish you do do, don'tcha! YAH!"

"Don't remind me. I had a hard time to clean up after every time you masturbate in front of the PC in your study checking out dead guys' corpses. Cleaning in between the keyboard was a nightmare. Before I got my own laptop, I had to use yours to use the internet. First time I used it, I didn't know what the crusty stuff was. You only warned me to clean it up before using it. I thought you were just trying to get me to do your chores. When I found out what you were doing in your study when you weren't working, I finally figured out what the mouse was for and why it has a mode for vibrate. I had OCD for the whole year obsessively washing my hands.

"I got you to hold something that touched my..."

Before he could say the word, I stopped him, "Don't! And that's as close in that tone of intimacy you're ever going get from me."

He sniggered. "I gotcha didn't I!" He then pick up his underwear with the semen. "What are you going to do with it?"

"Me?" I got up and pushed him to march back towards the bathroom.

"Oh woe! You touched me! Now I'm going again!" He held his suspender like a bowl to catch the semen. I took my hands off his back.

"Don't you fucking dare take your hands off me. Put your arms around me and look at it!"

I did as he said and exclaimed, "What are you trying to prove anyway?"

When he finally stops, I pushed him towards the bathroom instead he turns and told me to look at the sticky white stuff on the once clean white briefs.

"Touch it!" He said. I shook my head turned his shoulder to march towards the bathroom again. Again he turns and said, "Why not?! This liquid is precious. It is the source of life. You know it comes from a potent, virile male breed. Stop treating it like crap! He cups some semen in his hand and tried to touch my face with it. I avoided, he laughed. I finally got him into the bathroom and left him there so I can go back and sit on the stool.

He came out of the bathroom showing his hands, "I'm clean, now what?"

I simply dictate the fact, "You were suppose to get dress so you can show me that mansion of yours."

"I tried to wash my cum off my ‘gundy’ with hot water but it's still sticky. I left it in the wash basin. Do you need a strong detergent to wash my cum off?" He said smugly.

"I'll do it later when we come back home after you showed me your mansion." I sighed.

"You better not. When I die, you'll have that to sniff on my manly scent when you miss me." he glanced at me hoping for a reaction but I glanced at him right back with indifference.

"You're staring at me... Naked."

"So?" unsure what he was implying.

He did a cocky strut from the bathroom and said, "You're finally enjoying this, aren't you?" while showing off his body.

"Oh do shut it! Get dressed. I'm excited about seeing your new mansion."

"It's not new, not that you know. I'm excited about you, but of course, you don't believe that!"

He opened the drawers and pondered which underwear to put on. "Which to chose... which to chose... Can you help me pick. Shall I wear boxers so my man stalk can move about freely... I know, how about a Y-front so people can get my dick out to suck on... also what colour?... or even a suspender to show off my impressive bulge....."

"Just put on a pair of boxer trunks. Gees!"

"Why? Does that turns you on." He raised one of his brow.

"Just put some clothes on, will you. Stop talking dirty!"

He took out a black suspender and put it on.

"How do I look?" enquiring my opinion.

"You look sexy. Happy?" I said just to entertain him. He walks towards the dressing table to look at himself. He smiled and looked very pleased then said, "I do don't I. OK yah OK. Time to go!"

I was shocked, "You're not going outside..."

"Just kidding!" he laughed. "Almost gotcha didn't I. Aha ha."

He walked towards the armoires and take out an obviously brand new vintage designer suit I never seen before on a hanger from the railings.

"I bought this tailored suit six months ago after I quit my job. What do you think. Would I look good in it?'

I sighed. "You'll look tight... wearing it." with that, a big smile came upon his face. He laid the suit on the seat next to me that stand facing me, he probably thought he cracked it.

"I think. You know. I think I haven't had any sex in six months. Ihsss.....! Aahh.....! I'm jacking up here. Look!" he points at his briefs that clearly have something going on inside it.

"Let's do it! Let's have sex! Come on. Make me happy. You know you want to. This is the last time anyone be so so ridin' on with this stud." he said while dancing to his own made up disco beat doing the 'Bring It On! dance'.

"You know I don't.!"

"Just take your clothes off! It will come naturally! You can't possibly resist this manbuff that clearly so so asking for it!"

"No!!!" I said firmly. He stops dancing.

"You're a party pooper! It is so easier for me to a straight guy to take his clothes off than you. I tried so may things to help you be free because I pity you. I even drugged myself to look like a mansnuff to see how you react."

"What?! The three times when I came home where you were stoned?!"

"The third time I was naked. My cock was full, ripe for a session fun... Yah! You didn't even lay a finger on me. Instead you cover them up with a towel. I was shocked when I played the recording. My friend mocked me because of you. What is wrong with you. This hard to get game you're playing, is it to mess with my feelings or you felt I wasn't attracted to you so you ignore my attempts to make me want you more. Either way, it worked. I want you. I'm not that shallow to judge someone solely on their looks."

He just made me angry for some reason. "Don't give me that crap! You were a jerk! Six years I rented my room you made my life hell! Come to think of it, you started being nice to me later after you were airing your "cock" for display! Before that, you were so strict about getting the rent! I was very rarely late to pay! You keep moving up the due date so I’ll appear late for the payment and it's always before pay day so you can use it as an excuse to force me do your menial chores! You made me clean your crap! I had to clean your vomit whenever you came home drunk after happy hour with your buds or you'll kick me out if it's still there the next morning. I had to work like an unpaid maid instead of a tenant. The only reason I stayed was because this neighbourhood was the only decent place to live in within my limits."

"You said crap. Please..."

"...I found another place close by. Expensive, not as nice as this place but I would've managed. Until one night you came home pissed..... I'm sorry that you almost died. I was so angry. You were pissing everywhere. I flipped. I pushed your display cabinet to fall on you. It wasn't heavy so I thought you'll get yourself out from under it because you looked like you were managing. I neglected the fact that you were too pissed to function. I went straight to bed for half an hour until I heard you were still scuffling trying to get yourself up. You almost died because of a paper weight."

"How would you rate it as a sexy death if I was to die? Did I looked handsome?

"No... You were smelly. There was urine everywhere and you were continuously wetting yourself as your left lung was filling up with fluid. It was scary! Your eyes were all white and you looked like you were having a seizure."

"Come on, that's sexy! You are describing it quite vividly. You were probably touching me and licking my manly sweat! Secretly a necro huh?"

"Eww! That's disgusting! I was worried! What is wrong with you! If it weren't for that episode where I almost killed you, I would've left already."

"But you didn't... [pause]... You stayed and took care of me until I got well. I liked it when you massaged my cramps."

"I don't believe you! You were complaining the whole time about everything, even using guilt so you can tell me to do small stupid things like clipping your toe nail. Your feet reeked!"

"Are you kidding. Under those thick blankets, I was jerking hard when you were loosening my tendons on my foot. Never was I so pampered. I promise you. I was digging you back then."

"Sure didn't looked like it. I swear, I almost put bleach in your soup when you complained it was not hot enough. You were a right jerk back then."

"I remember pissing you off about your massages and loving every minute of it."

"Yeah, you like torturing me with your verbal abuse."

"You know I didn't meant those things I said."

"It was hard to tell because you were always acting like an ass towards me."

"I'm no longer a jerk anymore. Am I? I meant, I've changed, a lot, haven't I?"

"You're still a jerk. But you're nicer now."

He smiles. He got himself a can of deodorant and did a solemn dance while putting them on and did a stupid 'Mr Universe' pose to show of his muscles but failed terribly. He looked in the mirror and teased around his short hair and said,

"Do you think I should put on gel or hairspray?"

"Whatever. Knock yourself out!" I said, with that he put a little gel on his front hair fringe then using a comb in one hand and a can of hairspray on the other and made his hair looking sharp like he always did before he left the house. I just felt it was so wrong for someone to do some to look their best preparing for their funeral while they are still live and kicking.

"Please don't kill yourself. I've gotten used to running your house for you. Where am I going to live?..... What if I was mugged again. You said you're going to protect me, take care of me. Remember, you swore."

"When did I said that?"

"What?! It was when you were being weirdly nice to me after the accident. You said these exact words, "Thanks. When I get better, I'm going to take care of you." Then you called me a prick and laughed like an ass. You only starts to really cut some slacks for me three months later. It was after I came home with you naked on the carpet. I wish not to remember that evening."

"You do remember! I knew you were checking me out this whole time."

"Don't get too excited. I'm grateful that you were more considerate with my rent. I should've known something was wrong. First you made me too comfortable as your friend, then three years later you tell me you want to kill yourself. Can you imagine what I'm going through hearing you said that?!"

"I never knew you cared for me that much. I mean, you didn't even want to do me! What's up with that!..... [pauses]..... Tell you what, if you have sex with me, I'll call off this whole thing."

"Why are you doing this to me? Don't make me chose between my faith and you."

Hearing that made his face red with rage. With a crazed look in his eyes he came closer positioning ready to chokehold. I never saw acting that way. He saw the fear in my eyes, his face softens.

"At least hold me. I know you'll miss me." he said in a low reassuring tone.

Before almost teary eyed, I jumped towards him and hugged his torso like an orangutan baby.

"I always knew you were a monkey." My hands began to slip off him but he held me higher to stop me from falling.

"Heh... Hold me tighter, don't let go."

I asked him, "Can I get off now?" but he didn't answer. He just seem to stare blankly at the window. Then he looked at me.

"You want to get off now?"

He picked me up from under my arms to help me get off his body. My toes accidentally brushed against his gents as he was putting me down on the stool. He reacted by while trying not to smirk.

"Aha, your toes tickled my dick. You're gonna make me cum again." He fisted his right had to cough a little to hold it in. He took the trousers and handed them to me then he took an expensive designer belt he already chose earlier that he placed on the dresser beforehand and gave them to me to thread it to the pants. He took the trousers and begin to put them on. Stood up to leave the room so he can get dressed instead he held my arm to stop me letting the trousers to drop around his foot level.

"Why don't you help me get ready." he requested.

"You're more than capable..." before I could finish he raised his tone and commanded so imposingly.

"Help me put my pants on!"

I got down on my knees to get his pants up to his waist but his bulging genitals gets in the way.

"Would you mind pushing 'IT' in with your hands?"

He jokingly moved his bulge closer to my face to tease me. "You do it. You live under my roof. I can tell you to do anything."

"You own only part of the roof. It's an apartment."

"If I say the whole building is mine, it's mine! Now dress me up bud!"

"You're not the boss of me. I pay my rent."

"Do it or I'll kick you out. It's cold out there this time of the year."

I hesitant to the unsavoury ordeal I had to face l took his hand but he shook my grab and crossed his arms. Left with no choice or risk being both humiliated and homeless on the same day, I closed my eyes and get it over with and zip it up and quickly fasten the belt and burst out the room.

"Come back! Were not done yet!"

He eventually came out of the room looking sharp, like a fine gentleman.

"You look like you're on a hot date!"

"I always look like I'm on a hot date." He said with a dazed look on his face.

He then handles a matching work briefcase and welcomingly beckons me to get on our way by palming on my left shoulder.

ON THE WAY TO THE MANSION

Mark in the car driving…

It felt strange that day. The way Mark was acting was very strange, especially the sort of words he used and the way they were said. Somehow, I’ve had a growing sense of worry that something bad is going to happen. Is someone going to… We hadn’t spoke a word since we went in the car. Mark kept looking at me like he was going to say something to me then changed his mind. I thought of breaking the awkward silence.

“So Mark, I you’ve been acting really strange lately. Do you have anything in your mind? I’m worried.”

“What do you mean?” Mark’s brows wrinkled.

“It was strange the way you talked, back at the apartment. It was like you actually meant what you said about killing yourself.”

Mark cleared his throat. I was expecting a reply but instead, another silent treatment. As I sat there wondering how today was going to be like admiring the soft gentle morning light, blissful in between the leaves of the trees of March. A cold spring yet unexpectedly a warm day today. As the morning grew stronger, something was glinting from Mark’s side of the car. I realised Mark was wearing a familiar watch.

“When did you get that watch Mark?” I asked.

“Huh?” He responded. The air cools as we were entering a motorway with trees covered hills and a clear serene bayou. The car stopped in front of a shack by a secluded area that looked like a bar with an unlit sign that said “Drummond’s bayou”.

Mark turned to face me. “I bought this watch…” as he was saying, I noticed what seemed like a golden wedding band on his left ring finger. He realised I noticed.

“A wedding ring!” I said. “Whose the lucky guy?”

“No, I was married to my wife.”

“Was her name Ana?”

Mark seemed uncomfortable, “How did you know?” He asked. His face changed then said, “I’m going to take a leak. You coming?”

I shook my head. He smiled.

“Be right back in a flash.” Kissed my head then got out of the car and walked into “Drummond’s bayou.” Left to ponder again what is today all about. I stared out around the glass of the car, all I could see was the bar, trees and hills. Then, I say something white, like the top of a building, barely poking out of the greens on top of the hill. Mark appeared from the bar. He entered the car and started the engine. I thought I should ask him about the white structure peeking amongst the trees.

“Mark, what is that white building on top of that hill? Is that the mansion?”

Mark smiled and laughed. “Mhmm.” He drove the car back on the road passing by a hill then drove onto an untarmacked road into the forest where it was dark. So dark, that you can’t see what was in front of you. So dark, that the sun had a hard time shining through. It felt like the time before dawn breaks or the time when the sun just set when night time begins. The only way that Mark might know what he was doing was the road tracks that laid in front of the low lights the car made.

“Mark, where are we going? The mansion was back there on the left of the road on top of that hill. Why did we turn right instead?”

Mark remained eerily quite.

“Mark?”

Still no response from him. Still, his eyes on the road.

“Mark, what is the matter?” The day started from being out of the ordinary to alarming. The car just kept drawing deeper into the forest, following the road that kept bending to the right, away from the direction the supposed mansion was. Then it finally dawn on me,

“Oh my God! This is not one of your fantasies that you share with your snuffie friends, is it?”

The car clunked, locking the doors.

“Oh my God!!!” I trembled. Mark smiled while laughing like he was enjoying something, eyes fixed on the road.

“Mark, stop the car. Let me out!” I cried out. His eyes didn’t once turned towards me. I was so shaking, I can feel my head was going to explode. Suddenly Mark put his arm around me and sniffed my hair and kissed it. I was so scared I can’t moved. The only thing I could do was stare out of the window, scared enough not to provoke a psychopath, trying to get myself calmed by the beauty of the forest despite having a mad man sitting next to me.

The road begun to make a left turn and eventually it was getting brighter. Still in Mark’s hugging arm.

“Where do this road lead Mark?”

“We’re taking a detour to the mansion.” He answered in the way he usually do without even a hint of the madness in his voice.

The sun was shining in the sky as the car left the dim forest. The car made a sharp left turn and drove onto a much benigned grassed area. Mark placed both of his hands back on the steering wheel and unlocked the car doors.

“Is this lawn?” I asked.

“Yeah, I had my groundskeeper, Dan, trim them for me. Nice?”

“Yes… Why did you lock the car door back then Mar…” I noticed a stone building appearing as the car drew closer.

“Is that the mansion you were talking about?”

As we got closer, I noticed the windows were shattered, most were missing. Somehow, I felt that wasn’t the end of it.

“That doesn’t look much of a mansion.” I spoke to myself, alarmed.

The car came closer, then passed the derelict building.

“That wasn’t the mansion.” Mark clarified. I felt relieved yet it still wasn’t over. The car kept moving.

Finally we arrived at a very tall hedging. The car stopped. Mark turned to me and spoke.

“We’ve arrived, are you ready to have a look at our mansion?”

“Sure, is it behind this hedge?”

Mark smiled and nodded.

I was about to open the car door then Mark started the car again. He drove a long the stretch of the hedging to a narrow opening. There it was. A huge white structure. Perhaps five storey high made out of stone. Mark parked the car, leaving the engine running and went to open a small garage door that was next to a large garage door that you see at fire-stations and large malls and buildings. He then went back into the car to drive it in.

“Mark, what’s that giant garage door for?”

“It’s my automated garage door.”

“Why don’t you use it?”
He parked the car and we got out. Mark pressed a few switches by the garage door. The garage door closes and the lights on the ceiling glimmers for quite sometimes and eventually stays constant in accordance to it’s function. There it was, a few dozens of road worthy vehicles, obviously expensive and tastefully accessorised. European cars, SUVs and whatever they were.

“What do you think? Impressive huh? They are all yours.”

“Mine? But Mark. What would I do with all these… cars. I can’t even drive!”

Obviously Mark never thought of that. “Oh!” There was an awkward silence, then Mark began talking again.

“Well, shall I give a tour of this humble abode?” I thought to myself, ‘what was that all about?’

“Uhh, sure.”

“My mansion is not that big compared to the properties I once had.”

“Somehow, I find that hard to believe.”

Mark lied. The place was huge with all sorts of stuff anyone could ever want.

“What do you do here anyway Mark? This doesn’t look like house, more like a hotel resort and spa than a home. Looks like a whole community can fit in this place.”

“I relax here when I had the time. I entertain business clients here most of the time. Spend time with friends. Throw a big house party.”

“And I thought you were actually on business trips all this time.”

“I was! I rent out the mansion once and a while. I don’t really have the time to relax. If I did, I would be able to afford even close to having this mansion.”

“OK. Now you’ve shown me your mansion. Can we leave now. This place gives me the rash. I need to do the groceries back home. We need to stock up on food and fabric conditioner.”

“Don’t you want to stay a while longer? Try out the jacuzzi!”

“No thank you. It’s almost lunchtime.”

“Have lunch here. Come on, stay for a day at least.”

“I have to go to work tomorrow.”

“I’ve dressed up especially today to spend time with you. Come on! I still have a lot to show you.”

“Oh, fine!”

Mark brought me upstairs to show me the bedrooms. Each rooms was bizarre after the other. One room was pink all over with road kill trophies hanging on the wall. That one smelt like it was occupied recently.

“This room smells funny. What happened here?” I asked.

“A couple of guy friends had a session here yesterday. Elsa was suppose to clean the place before she gets a day off.”

“A session?”

“You know. Tough rough tussle. Video cam. Suck…”

“That’s enough Mark. Question! Why is it, all your bedrooms has a theme. It’s like you run a business here.”

“It’s not a business. I don’t charge. I invite friends, they made requests for…”

“So you mean…”

“… sessions”

I held my finger pinching my nose. “I am not staying in any of your kinky rooms Mark if you want me to stay overnight.”

“It’s a good thing you didn’t look under the bed.”

“What’s under the bed?”

“Trust me! You don’t wanna know… There’s a bedroom downstairs where the housekeeper sleeps.”

“You didn’t have any of your so-called session in there, did you?”

“I don’t think so…”

“No thank you…”

“Just kidding. No, I can assure you, no hanky-panky happened there what so ever. Promise.”

“OK. Let’s have lunch. You didn’t have any breakfast.”

Mark brought me to a small room with a small dining table with three chairs and an armchair.

“Where can I get a plate for the sandwiches?”

“The next room is the employees’ pantry. I have a surprise for you there.”

“Employees’ pantry?”

Surely, there were plates there but it looked more like an ordinary proper kitchen. I glanced across the room and saw an empty door frame, there was what I suppose was the mansion’s proper kitchen. It was huge. A pile of fruits on a basket, mostly peaches caught my eyes on a worktop in the so-called employees’ pantry. There was a note slipped in between the peaches. I took a peach and bit it. It was sour and tannic with an after taste of the sap from the unripe fruit. “Yaghhh!”

“What’s wrong?” Mark asked as I returned with a plate.

“In your note you said they were sweet. They tasted ‘orrible! Did you even had some?”

“I did. They were sweet. I picked them myself.”

“It’s early spring. They aren’t in season yet in this area.”

“I didn’t know.” He explained then return back to what he was doing. Polishing his shoes.

“Can you help me clean my shoe?” I took the brush from his hand and began brushing the sole of his shoe. He didn’t do a good job getting a few grit stuck in between the ridges. Once I was done, I offered him the sandwich. He stood up and took the plate from me then put it back on the table. Taken by surprised, unprovoked, Mark grabbed me by the shoulders with his hands and kissed me on the lips. I walked backwards to get away but he wouldn’t desist until I hit the wall. He pushed his body towards me but I pushed him away.

What are you doing?!”

He looked disappointed. “Do you want to see the orchard. You go out that door and go back to the old house that you saw earlier. The trees are next to it.” He told me, pointing at the door that’s in the pantry. Excited I ran towards the door but noticed Mark wasn’t following.

“Aren’t you coming Mark?”

“I have something to do. Catch you later.”

“Remember to eat your sandwich. See ya later Mark!”

It took around five minutes walk to trace my way from the mansion to the orchard. Surely the trees were there. I must’ve missed it as it was blocked by the old stone house. Some already had fruits hanging from it’s branches, some still flowering. There weren’t only fruit trees but other trees like chestnut and silver birch. It was a ground full of diverse trees and shrubs. Every step I took, a surprise was in store. Blueberry bushes but not yet in season, spring gooseberries that was so sour it made my lips pucker like it’s going to implode into my mouth. I recognise some of the trees from the ribbons and strings I tied to them a long time ago. I lost track of time walking around the orchard, exploring the abandoned house and a store room where the grounds keeping equipment were kept. A man was there, working on a mower. I greeted him.

“Hi there!” He saw me and began moving the mover and parked it in front of me.

“Good day!” He replied holding out his hand to be shook. “Dan Long.”

“You must be the groundskeeper. Have you been taking care of my trees.”

“Your trees? You must be the one Mr Heston said he took the trees from a while ago. Three years ago?”

“There abouts.”

“How do you like your orchard?”

“I may have grown a few of the trees, but it’s not my orchard Mr Long.”

“Dan. No, Mark said he started this small holding for you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, no doubt about it. So, how do you like it?”

“Dan? What do you know about Mark suicide tendencies.”

“I wouldn’t know. Why?”

“He said he’s going to kill himself today. Lately he’s been talking about his will and all sort of crazy stuff. You wouldn’t know anything about that, would you?”

“Is he here at the mansion?”

“Yea.”

“I would go back there straight away before he do anything stupid.”

With that, I began running back to the mansion. Dan shouted,

“So how do you like your orchard?!!!”

“It’s great!!!”

The sun was setting. When I reached back to the mansion, I called out for Mark. To my relief, Mark was still on the armchair where I left him. I went over to the sink and washed my hands. I glanced on the table and saw the roast beef sandwich I made for him was still there, untouched. Mark was sitting on the armchair, relaxed, eyes closed. His hands were resting on the arm rest. Not a sound came out of him. The atmosphere in the room was dimmed. Mark’s complexion looked pale and bluish.

“Mark?” I nudged him gently. I called out his name again and nudged him harder. I jumped as he took his breath . Relieved, I gave him a hug and held his face.

“Wake up, Mark. It’s evening already.”

Mark yawned. His mouth smelt like something I never smelt before.

“You didn’t touch you sandwich.”

“Huh… What? I must’ve fallen asleep.” He explained, still groggy after his sleep.

“Sorry I was late. I’ll make dinner.”

“You don’t have to. There isn’t enough time. Are you hungry?”

“Not really…” before I could finish my sentence, Mark stood up and walked away. I called out for him but he ignored me. I followed him until we arrived in a brightly lit room with gurneys, boxes, some opened, weird looking machines with tubes coming out of it and a glass tanks filled with clear fluid. There were worktops with bottles that contained fluids, a trolley with cotton wool and surgical apparatus, metallic dishes that shaped like a kidney and so much thing-a-ma-bobs that I can’t even begin to comprehend. The room likened it’s odour to Mark’s mouth earlier.

“I know you’re big on the environment. So I got these boxes of environmentally friendly embalming things…”

“Mark? You aren’t really going to kill yourself tonight, are you?”

“Yeah!” he answered as if it was a mundane question.

“But why? And why bring me here?”

“I’m a disappointment. I disappointed everyone that ever cared about me. My old friends that I grew up with didn’t stay in touch after I came out. My only family treated me as if I never existed. My wife…” he broke down.

“Then they are not really your friends. You never disappointed me Mark. What happened?” I said. Mark sat on a chair and invited me to sit on the stool that he pointed at.

“Yes I did. Every time I tried doing nice things to you, it backfired.” Mark took a breather before he continues.

“You married?”

“Was married. Her name was Ana.”

“Did you love Ana?”

“Very much.”

“Carry on.”

“This was before she found out.”

“That you are…”

“Yes… One day, she left for a voluntary community service. I had a day off so I offered to look after the kids. I thought it was safe to bring my lover home and you know…”

“Mhmm.”

“Anyway, he came around often. My wife thought that we were just mere buddies.”

“So what happened?”

“Ana forgot her phone. She came back to get it.”

“That’s when she found out. Right.”

After that Mark became silent.

“So, did Ana broke the news to everyone?”

“Noo… At first she had her heart broken. We worked it out…”

“Then what happened?”

“I broke up with Toni.”

“So Toni snitched you out.”

“Yes.” Again he became silent.

“So Mark. What is the problem?”

“I panicked.”

“Of what?”

“I panicked. I left town for months on end because of the shame… How can I be so selfish.”

“You were scared. It’s not your fault. I can understand.”

“Don’t you see. It was my fault. I was sole the breadwinner and I left my wife and kids to fend for themselves… How can I go to work while staying in hotels and not face my own family. I’m such a coward… I’m pathetic…. I’m a loser. As I said, a disappointment.”

“You’re not a loser Mark Heston! You’re rich, handsome, drop dead gorgeous. People throw themselves all over you. You were a CEO. You almost obtained a full partnership with your company before you quit. I still don’t understand why. You have a happening social life. You have everything. I on the other hand have no social life. You travel and meet rich and famous people. My only friends are you, a few people at work and some people that runs food shops. I’m poor and all I do for a living is test shampoos and soaps like a guinea pig.”

Mark shakes his head, “I disappointed myself… I can’t even make you…” he broke down again.

“What? Mark, I wouldn’t have it with anyone. What makes you think it’s your fault.”

“That’s not it.”

“You said you had a wife. Did you have any children?” Mark nodded.

“Then you have a reason to live. Live for them.”

“I messed up terribly. Ana got full custody… She never wanted to talk to me. She moved away, changed her name and remarried… I never got to spent time seeing my son and daughters grow up… My sister hates me because I killed my father. I’ve got no one now. Everyone is better of that I’m dead. Just as she said.”

“Who said that?!”

“My sister.”

“Mark, you know that’s not true. How about your other friends. They’ll greatly miss you.”

“Oh, they want me dead. They’re looking forward to it. You’ll see…”

Mark grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.

“I leave you my planner. It’s in the right drawer, in my desk, in the study. It’s black. Inside it, I have all my contacts…”

“What would I do with it anyway?” I asked.

“… just hear me out, please? I’ve marked people that I trust that you can always contact to help you out whenever you need them. Those were ticked with green ink. Five of them will come over this Wednesday…”

“Where? Here?”

Mark nodded.

“Now, I don’t want my body to go to waste, so I want you to take care of it…”

“What?!!!”

“I want you to use it to make money. I’ve marked…”

“Woe woe! Mark what would you have me do?!”

“Just listen. I’ve marked them in red, pink and yellow. The pink ones are high rollers, so you can charge them big money…”

“I can’t believe I’m hearing this…!”

“So are you excited?!”

“Nooo! What is going on around here. First you’re suicidal, now you want me to rent you out to your necrophiliac friends for things…”

Mark took a deep breath and continues, “The yellow ones are cheapskates, the red ones in between. I expect you to get me under the high rollers. Promise me!”

“No, I wouldn’t! This is sick. Not to mention. ILLEGAL!”

“Come on. Do it for me. It’s my dream that my body is abused after I’m dead. I want to make some lucky sick fellow necrophiles happy. Huh… huh?! I’ve also donated my semen to the county hospital. You can sign the release if I was chosen and take the money for yourself!”

I kept shaking my head from side to side and said firmly, “NO!”

“If you get yourself in any money trouble…”

“NOOO!!!”

“Well this is a let down. Do whatever you want with my body. It’s your property now…” then mumbles to himself as he climbs into the glass tank filled with strange smelling clear liquid. A feeling creeps in that something seriously not right.

“Mark, what are you doing?” I asked.

“I’m embalming myself!”

“Alive?! I can’t take this all in one day. I’m calling the ambulance… And the police!”

“Don’t! I’m going to die anyway. I’ve drank a few bottles of the embalming fluid already.”

Shocked, I dropped my phone onto the floor. It shatters on impact. I was dumbstruck.

“I thought I would be dead already. I guess it doesn’t work as well as formaldehyde.”

“We should get you to a hospital!” I said. Then I realised I can’t drive.

“Mark, give me your phone!”

“Here!” He handed his cell to me. I grabbed it but before I could dial the emergency protocol, he pushed my face towards his and stared into my eyes. His eyes was beautiful as it sparkles full of life.

“I need you to do this for me. Put down the phone and just listen to me.”

I did as he said.

“There’s a manual over there on embalming…”

“I don’t want to…”

“Just do it! Do this last thing for me…”

“There’s still a chance that you can be saved. Please, let me call the paramedics!”

“I’m dieing.”

“You still look fine.”

“My stomach is wrenching from pain.”

“You’re sure not showing any of it. Come off it Mark, please!”

Mark ignored me and got himself into the glass tank. I grabbed his head before he could submerge himself. He kept trying until he stopped then laid inside the tank with his arms resting on the sides of the tank keeping him a float.

“You can’t stop me. I’m bigger and stronger than you.”

As I struggle to deal with my emotions, again I beseeched him, “Mark, just come off it. I don’t want to miss you.”

Mark took a deep breath and exhaled.

“Fine, we’ll talk.”

“If you’re gone, I wouldn’t have a cool friend anymore.”

“You’ll make new friends…”

“They’ll be nothing like you. I’m going to really miss you. You know, when you quitted your job and said you were going to Brazil so you can become a ‘morto’ and get autopsied and video-ed. That’s what you said. I kept playing the phone voice recorder over and over again so I can hear your voice. I know, creepy, but you didn’t even call or left a message of how you were doing. I was really worried. Aren’t you going to miss me when you die?”

“Not creepy at all. I was expecting that. You didn’t contact me the whole time, so I wasn’t obliged. You know I missed you every time I left home.” He said while caressing my face. He took his hand off then swallowed his throat. He rubbed his face with his left hand.

“Can you get me the mirror.” He requested.

“Where?”

“Over there!” he pointed. There was a mirror on the white worktop. Oval, the size of a large trout serving dish with an intricate brass frame. It stands out in the bright, white room. I picked it up and gave it to Mark. Mark was still rubbing his chin when I handed over the mirror.

“Ihsss… Shit!... Sorry. You’ve stalled me long enough that I’m growing stubbles.”

“You should get a shave. Come off it now.”

“As I hate looking scruffy, I think I look sexy. Don’t you think so? You think I look sexy don’t you.”

“Very. Mark don’t kill yourself. Aren’t you…”

Mark’s face cringes.

“My stomach and chest… it’s wrenching.”

“You’re hungry, you didn’t have anything the whole day. You didn’t even ate your roast beef sandwich. Get out of the tank so we can eat then you can carry on with this…”

“You know, I have a weird craving for that crispy soya bean fungus that you made before. What was it?”

“Tempeh? But I thought you hated them.”

“They were alright, until you told me they were soya beans with moulds growing on them.”

“I remember your face. Then you said to me “You should warn me about your exotic veggie junk before I pop it in my mouth. Are you trying to kill me! That was like five years ago.”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll make them for you if you call off this whole thing.”

“Naahhh! I don’t like them anyway… Would you come and hold me? I think I’m going under. I want to die in your arms.”

I placed my arms under his shoulders and hugged him. Mark’s eyes suddenly rolled over and began to collapse.

“Mark!” I called out his name, catching him before he could fall into the acrid smelling water. Scared, I cried. I slapped his face until he comes around. His eyes went back to normal, staring at me. He smiled then said,

“Don’t cry. You know I don’t like people that cries a lot. I don’t want anyone to cry as I die. I want you to be happy. I know I’ve hurt you so much the whole time we know each other but please just remember the good things about me.”

Sobbing, “I will.”
“Please watch the video. The tape is on the left of the cam.”

“I don’t want to see you dieing…”

“Please, it’s important to me. You can do anything with my death video.”

Mark began to submerge his whole body but I grabbed his head and cried. I put my arms under his shoulders and embraced his torso crying.

“If you’re going to be this way, I don’t want you here when I die! Leave the room!”
I stepped away from Mark and began walking towards the door.

Then he tried to stop me, “Don’t leave! I’m scared!... I thought death was easy. It’s not as easy as I thought it was. I wanted it to be perfect!”

I kept walking towards the door sobbing.

“Please look at me!” Mark called out. I turned to face him, still in the glass tank. He placed his right hand on his chest, “I …”

He stopped with what he was going to say then stared at his torso and began running his finger on the soaked shirt that clung to his skin following the contour of his body.

“Shit!” he exclaimed. “Look at my body. I’m HOT!!! I’m cumming just looking at myself. Come and touch me.”

I shook my head.

“Come on. Touch me. I want to cum buckets before I die. Pleaseeee!”

I came over to him and touched his face, still sobbing. His stubbles tickled my fingers. Mark sighed and kissed my hand. I noticed that his pants… you get the idea. Something was definitely moving inside it.

“Not my face, I want you to touch here!” he grabbed my hand and began rubbing it all over his torso. He brought my hand lower and lower then shoved it in his pants. I pulled my hand away.

“That felt good.” He sighed. “Would you mind turning the camera on for me? The red ‘ON’ switch on the right.” pointing at the camera propped on a tripod. The small LED light turns red and the camera started recording. It was too painfully for me watch Mark took his own life that I began to leave the room.

“Can I have a goodnight kiss?” Mark cheekily asked. I went over to him and kissed his forehead. He raised his head and stole a kiss on the lips. His breath smelt so warm across my face. My tears fell onto his face and into his eyes.

“I love you.” He professed to me in a warm low tone. It was the first time he said those words to me. I felt betrayed that he said those words to me on his dieing seconds. I turned my face and walk away. The camera beeped.

“I said, I love you… Tell me you love me!

I turned my face, “I love you Mark. I really do.” Mark smiled.

As the door closes, Mark Heston took deep breaths and enjoying every second of it. He felt like a huge weight was taken of his shoulders but felt disheartened by the one he’s leaving behind. Feeling sure he was ready, he submerged his head but then got his head back up and brushed the embalming fluids off his face. He closed his eyes and prayed for God to give him strength and then indefinitely submerge himself into the tank full of embalming fluids. Mark kept his eyes open, daring not to fall asleep as his last breath slowly escape his lungs disturbing the surface of the tank in small strains of bubbles. Mark hated to leave the world of the living but since he already made the decision, he can’t turn back even if he wanted to, eventually he’ll die.

The door closes behind me. I stopped crying pulling myself together. I sat on the chair that was next to the door. I came back to my senses and realised what was I thinking leaving Mark dieing in the room. I had to stop him. I opened the door and saw air bubbles coming out of Mark’s nose. I ran towards him and thrust my arms into the tank to pull him out but Mark grabbed my right arm with his left hand. He was so strong that I was bruising. I struggled, not wanting to give up on him.

His voice garbbled by the embalming fluids trying to comfort me. “No crying…” His expression was so warm, I can’t refuse him. The last bubbles escaped him, “I’ll be fine…” he released his strong grip and lay proper in the tank with his eyes fixed on me. My eyes was fixated on him. His face was so comforting like he was still alive it took me a while to realise that he was gone. Distraught, I was speechless. I glanced at the manual and knew the promise I made. After I strapped his body onto a machine that slowly turns Mark in the embalming fluid as the manual said. I got ready for bed. I felt numb. The whole world felt distant from me. The whole mansion was dark without any lights illuminating the dark corners. I used Mark’s phone to escape mansion. I got out of the front door and stare onto the sky where the only light that can be seen are the stars and the Milky Way. It had been a long time since I see the sky this beautiful having had live in the city where the artificial lightings from buildings and street lights never ceased to obscure the brilliant beauty of the heavens. Land and forest was eerily dark. The black sea down below the cliff was thick like tar, unforgiving to limit one’s conception to it’s vastness.

Recognising the fact that I can’t possibly find my way back home in the middle of the night, I made my way back inside, had some juice from the fridge and went to sleep in the room that was pre-determined where I was to be staying that night.

FLASHBACK - Meeting Mark Heston for the very first time.

THE GOOD AND BAD, HIGH AND LOW

A man was pleased for the day. His face gratefully content.

The office was filled with, “Congratulations Mr Heston!”, “Mark buddy! You deserve it!” and “Well done big shot! When are there going to be party?”

“There’ll be a party soon. I promise you all!” he said to the crowd that was either admiring or despising him

He glanced at his receptionist, “Ingrid, I’m going to lunch. Anything came up?”

“In ten minutes, you have a meeting with the ‘Associations of Cereal Growers’ to do with the revoke of the deal late summer. Then, you have an audience with our clients from Qatar, Bahrain and Zambia. Two thirty shape!

“About?”

“Logistics.”

“Tell the department dealing with the ‘association’ to stall them for as long as they can.”

“Will do Mr Heston!”

Heston stared at Ingrid.

“Well? Aren’t you going to ask me when I might be back?!”

“Oh! Yes!... But you just got promoted. I think you deserve a break.”

Heston laughs, shaking his head.

God, it’s cold! Though once and a while, the warmth of the sun do reflect some of it’s rays amongst the glass enrobed stilae that made up the city. Frosts already started appearing on surfaces this late autumn.

It has been three days I’ve had familiarised myself with the new setting also, I’ve been staying with my hosts and I started to feel awkward being around strangers. So today, I’m going to get my own place on my own. I know it’s going to be hard because my hosts told me the cheapest rent I can get in the city was around one hundred and fifty, with no running water and no toilet, and that was just a room!

I’ve been walking around fifteen minutes aimlessly hoping to find and advertisement or some flyers about a place for rent. None!

Scanning the area around me I realised I’ve had stepped into the wrong neighbourhood. It’s a rich peoples’ area with high end so-called ‘amenities’ like hotels and designer vintage shops. I’ll never find a place I was looking for here. I knew there was a convenient shop tucked in between the minted wide glassed windows after having had passed it when my host picked me up to my temporary accomodation.

The shops was impressively beautiful despite exhibiting decadent persuits that urbanites so persistently strive for. Watching the traders and merchants playing the ‘hard-sell’ with their clients in regards to their mundane fares fascinates me. A woman late in her time was trying out a lipstick that clearly doesn’t match her purse or anything she put on, a beautiful young lady exchanging her skimpy dress she was wearing for another skimpy dress that doesn’t even make sense and a man trying out a new watch, possibly to celebrate a life changing event.

Three shops later after a ‘BVLGARI’ shop, I’ve finally found the shop I was looking for. It was not imposing like the rest of the establishments along the street. A rather humble nook, less than a tenth of the width of each of the shops there. People that may pass the area everyday may miss it due to it’s timid nature.

The pleasing familiar sound of the bell ringing as I gladly entered the shop door. Nothing really tickled my fancy in the shop. Crisps, fizz, sweets and candybars, batteries... The only thing that looked interesting was the cold storage where they have exotic looking fruits and vegetables. I almost picked a bottle that claimed it was a grenadilla juice, the I looked at the price tag. Five fifty for a small three forty-five mililitres of af juice.

“You gonna buy something?!” said the shopkeeper. Feeling awkward, I put the ridiculous juice bottle hardly filled with passionfruit extract. I glanced across the shop and saw a billboard with posters, flyers and bits of papers stuck on it.

“Is that the classifieds?” I asked the shopkeeper. He nodded. A man entered the shop as I walked towards the noticeboard. A local band was performing in bar across the street. Some wanted posters of petty criminals, shop lifters, vandalisers.

Here it is! ‘For sale/rent’. Shop for sale. Apartment for sale. Apartment for rent, ten thousand a month!

“What’chya doing!” I jumped, shocked by the sudden surprise introduction.

“Looking for an apartment.”

“To buy?”

“No, to rent… I saw you in BVLGARI buying a watch. Is that it?” pointing at the watch.

“Yes. How do I look?”

“The watch looks expensive.”

“I know a recently rennovated apartment block across the street. There might still be some ain’t snapped up.”

“Where is it?” I asked, searching for the advert on the noticeboard.

The man lifted his and pointed at a flyer with only one single slit of numbers left.

“I’ll never get a place there!”

“Come on!” he said optimistically and ripped the last piece of paper from the the flyer.

“I’ll show you.”

When we arrived in front of the building, I was awestruck. The walls were grand, the revolving doors had it’s own porter. Everything was polished and shiny.

The man patted my back, “Here’s the place. I’m of for lunch. Good luck getting an apartment.” Then run off left me standing in front of the building. I just looked at the people comings and goings for a while until I got the courage to enter. The porter convincingly greeted me with enthusiasm.

“Good morning to you too…” I stared at his name tag. “… Mr Friedman. I hope you have a nice day too.”

The inside was even more impressive. A huge lobby streamed with carpet runners, with exotic marbles, gold and silver surfaces and brasswares, tasteful, not enough to make them look gaudy and the choice of greenery was immaculate, not a fake in sight. I walked over to the reception to ask about the apartment for rent.

“I’m here about apartments for rent. Is there, are there any free units?”

“We’ve sold and rented out most of the units. But yes, we still have some free units.”

“Can I see them?”

“Sure.” She picked up the phone on the counter and pressed on a speed dial. “Kodiak. You need to give a tour of the apartments to a client.”

In the phone, “But I’m having my break. Can’t this wait after lunch?”

“Just do your job Randall. Gees!” she put down the phone and looked at me. “Mr Kodiak will be here shortly to show you our show room. Would you kindly have a sit over there in the mean time before the tour, please?”

“Sure.”

A few moments later, a short thin balding man rushed over. He pulled of a white napkin from his collar and stuffed it in his pocket while finishing chewing food in his mouth. He obviously looked discontent. He stared at the receptionist, then she pointed at me. I stood up as he was coming my way. We shook hands and followed the usual procedure.

“Follow me!” Mr Kodiak beckons. We entered a lift that still had it’s stainless steel surface covered in clear plastic.

“Pardon the sight. We’ve recently renovated the whole building. Is it buying or renting?”

“Renting.”

“Right. The rent is around five to twelve thousand a month depending on the owner of the respective apartments. The official policy of the building charges ten thousand dollars a months”

“Is that in US dollars or Chinese yen?”

“Haha! Funny! Seriously, transactions are in the standard fare of the country of the United States of America. The US dollar.”

The lift pings, “We’re here!” The floor that we arrived in seemed bare compared to the lobby we left. Kodiak unlocked an apartment and invited me in.

“Our apartments have standard three rooms, some even have five…” The place was impressive. Enormous spaces, wide windows and a great view of the city below. “… top notch central heating…”

The apartment was a feast for the eyes with all its features and potential. As Kodiak was rambling on how amazing the apartment, I finally broke the news, “I can’t afford ten thousand a month for the place. Do you have any other apartments that may cost less. Maybe even a room for rent.”

“What do you have in mind?”

“My funding is around a thousand a month for accomodation. Two thousand tops.”

“We rent out apartments here, not rooms. If you want a rent for two thousand dollars, you go to the harlem! What do you think people like you doing here? Go back where ever you came from and stop polluting this country with your filth!”

Kodiak locked the apartment and we took the same elevator back to the Lobby. I felt so humiliated and furious with what Randall Kodiak said to me but I just held my head high not even once looking at the… face. The porter bid me good journey but I can’t be bothered to attain the formality, just nodded.

A guy was calling out, “Hey!”

I didn’t realise until I bumped against him.

“Hey, how are you? Did you get an apartment?”

“No.”

“Did they sold out or something?”

“No, they have plenty of vacancies.”

Randall Kodiak came out through the revolving door. The man called out to him.

“Randall, didn’t you get a place for this client?”

“No sir! The client can’t afford to rent an apartment, instead was looking for a room to rent, Mr Heston sir.”

“Nonsense! We rent out rooms! We don’t deny our clients.” Heston looked at me. “What did he said to you?”

“It’s nothing. It’s OK. I’ll find somewhere else.”

“No, I need to know! Randall! What did you say to our client!!!”

“I didn’t say anything sir! Honest! It’s just…”

“You’re fired!”

Feeling guilty, “I don’t think that is necessary…”

“But Mr Heston. I…” Randall Kodiak went red, took out the napkin he had in his pocket and threw it on the ground.

Heston put his arms on my shoulders and took me back inside the building. The receptionist greeted him.

“Good afternoon Mr Heston. Had a good lunch?”

“Very good Kelsie.” And raised his hand as a friendly gesture to the receptionist.

Again I’m in the lift, but this time, it is going to the top floor, floor number Thirty. The lift pings.

“You can rent my apartment.” He took out a key and unlocked one of the doors in the hallway.

As we entered the door… it was way bigger than the previous. Twice, maybe thrice the size. The window’s goes from floor to ceiling. Massive skylights. It’s like those penthouses you see on television.

“So… what do you think?” he said looking for a reaction from me while taking off and hanging his sash and coats on the hooks.

“I… It’s… I can’t afford it. It’s a bit big for me.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll provide the furnitures. It’s looking bare right now. Once I get the decorators here, the apartment will feel like home.”

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, I really can’t afford this place.”

“Rent out a room!”

“For how much?”

“Name your price.”

“Three hundred dollars?”

“Deal!”

“What?! Are you sure?!”

“You can stay right away!”

“This is an extremely generous offer. I can’t take it. Are you alright Mr Heston? Is anything the matter?”

“I’m feeling extra generous today. I’ve just been promoted to a chief executive officer of the company I work in.

“Congratulations! Can I really rent a room in your apartment for three hundred dollars a month?”

“Sure.” The bell rings. “I’ll sort out the paper work today when I get back to my office. Have a look around. Choose the room you wish.”

We part ways. I began discovering what the apartment has to offer while Mr Heston went to answer the door.

Heston answered the door and found his wife.

“Ana, how did you know I’ll be here? How are you?”

“I’ve called your secretary, Ingrid.”

There was an awkward silence then both of of them began to say their sentence then stopped abruptly.

“You first!” they both said to each other almost simultaneously.

“I’m getting by.”

“How’s the kids?”

“Missing their father.”

“I miss them too. Tell them will you.”

“I will.”

There was another silence then Heston begins, “I miss you too…”

“Mark, do you know how long you’ve been away?”

“I… Why are you here Ana?”

“You’ve been away for five months. The children hadn’t heard from you for two and a half months Mark!”

“Ana, I’ve just been promoted to CEO. I’ve been working really hard for the past few months. Let’s move to the city. Bring the kids. There’s a private school across the street. How do you like this apartment it’s ours. There are five rooms, one each for the kids and a room to spare…”

“Have you forgotten what we are suppose to be doing today?”

“What?”

“You are unbelievable Mark! I thought you would grow up. We were suppose to meet the lawyer about you and me as husband and wife. I guess you don’t care about me and the kids.”

“I forgot, honey. Give me another chance!”

“I gave you a couple of chances Mark. I can’t do this anymore. You left us Mark! You left us without telling us where you were. I was worried sick thinking what could’ve happened to you!” Ana cried.

“I struggled telling the kids that everthing was alright, that daddy was just away on one of his long business trip. I can’t lie to them anymore. I had to beg from our friends and relatives to pay for the groceries and the bills when the credit card bounces. It was humiliating Mark. The kids had to do their homework in darkness whe they cut off our electricity. We had to use candles.”

Tears came out of Mark’s eyes.

“I prayed that you showed up Mark. Hoping that you’ll show some effort. We’re done Mark! I’m getting the full custody of our children. You don’t have to worry about the settlement because I’m giving them up.” Ana gave Heston a file.

“Don’t say that it’s over Ana. I love you and the kids. Don’t leave me!”

“You should listen to yourself!... You only have to sign the document to declare you agree with the terms. You can appeal but I will not change anything. I will not ask anything from you ever again.”

“How will you manage raising our kids on your own? At least let me help you financially.”

“Leave us alone Mark! I’ve got myself a really good job. You wouldn’t hear any money problem from us!

Mark firmly grabs Ana’s arm, “Don’t leave me Ana. At least don’t take the children away from me. I beg you!”

“I begged you to come home after all that happened between us but you were too much of a coward to face me. Goodbye Mark!” Ana took off he wedding ring a placed it in Heston’s hand.

“No no no Ana… Don’t give it back. Please keep it.” Forcing the ring back to Ana.

“I will not keep it Mark.” Ana said definitely then walked towards the lift. Mark chased after Ana to the lift.

“Don’t just leave me like this! Let’s talk!”

“Goodbye Mark.” The lift opens. Ana got in.

“But babe. I love you.”

“I thought I love you too.” The lift closes.

Each of the bedrooms had its own bathroom. Sweet! I’d pick the one with a window with a fine view of the city. The pollution from the cars will compel me to give it a wipe often but who’s complaining. Three hundred a month! Now I have to tell the owner that I’ve found my room. He was nowhere to be seen until I found him at balcony.

“Mr Heston?” I called out to him. He didn’t respond. I saw him leaning dangerously against the railing staring at the ground below.

I went close to him and stand close to the railings to his left.

“Mr Heston, I’ve picked the room with the large window.”

His expression looked down and upset.

“Mr Heston, who was that woman that you talked to?” he didn’t respond.

“Mr Heston?” I asked again. He took a deep breath then exhaled.

“She’s my...”

“Oops, don’t tell me. It’s none of my beeswax.”

His stare didn’t move an inch from long drop below. I looked around and saw the frost covering the floor and railings of the balcony.

“Mr Heston, it’s a bit slippery out here in the balcony, not to mention freezing. You might fall off.”

“Maybe I might. Maybe I should.”

“That’s silly talk! Come on on inside. We still haven’t started with the paperwork.”

He took a deep breath and turned away from the railings. “Let’s go.”

Mark Heston sitting on a sofa in a hotel room with his friends, Heather and Terrence that tries to accompany and comfort him after his wife left him. Clearly upset, wrenching his hand to his chest groaning.

“You’ll be fine without her. I never seen you like this over a pussy! In my opinion, I think you dodged a bullet there!” said Terrence.

Heather hisses, “Terrence! Can’t you see he’s upset!”

“I can see that. But what good is it for him to be like this the day his career finally took off! Mark, I say this as a friend that really care about you. Let her go…”

“I can’t. She wouldn’t talk to me. She said she’s moving away and changing her name so I can’t find her. My kids…” he beats his chest really hard that his friends hold his arms so he couldn’t hurt himself.”

“Terrence is right. You shouldn’t beat yourself up about this. Just move on. Make a fresh start.” Heather suggested.

“Yeah man! For a start, stop living in hotels. It’s not healthy. Get yourself a real place.” Terrence suggested.

Mark clenches his fist and shakes Terrence and Heather’s grip. “Guys, I need some alone time right now.”

“OK, but don’t do anything stupid!” said Terrence.

“If you need company, you can come to my place.” Heather offered. Mark then lie down on the couch wrenching his chest. Heather and Terrence left the hotel room.

“Will you stop that!”

“What?” ask Heather.

“Trying to get him to get you laid. Keep your lonely pussy to yourself. He’s a gay man!

“Don’t judge me! It could happen!”

“Remember! Hands off!”

“Oh yeah! Whatch you gonna do about it?!”

“I’ll rape you!”

“You wouldn’t! You’re too much of a poof!”

“Yeah, you’re right! It’s just that I have plans for him.”

“What sort of plans?” Heather asks. Terrence smiles shamelessly raising his brows up and down.

“Oh, eww! You’re sick! I shouldn’t have asked!”

BACK IN THE PRESENT

As a force of habit, I woke up early and found myself in a strange room. It was still rather dark and cold so I wrapped a blanket on myself to keep warm. As usuak, I went into the washroom to wash my eyes. Struggling to remember what happened last night, I walk around the place trying to jog my memory but to no avail. Everything felt so surreal like it was a dream. It must’ve been a dream. A bad one.

I saw the large french doors that was obviously the reception and opened it. Somehow, this same action felt familiar. The wind was gushing rather than howling so I wrapped the thin sheet tighter but the cold still seeped through the weft of the fabric. I did not go back in because I was starting to remember why I was there. The grass was cold to the touch yet dry, possibly because it had been mild last night. A low, heavy feeling came over me. I remembered! The emotion was overwhelming, my legs lost it’s stature and I collapsed onto the lawn, crying. The winds now really began to howl, obscuring any other noises other than it’s own.

WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT?

It seemed like the world welcomed the sun willingly, uncompatible to how I was feeling inside. I felt like… A best friend just died, I don’t feel like going to work. I know I’m going to jail because of what happened. In the mean time, I have to get on with this stupid existance. I know the bar that Mark stopped over yesterday was fairly closeby, so I thought maybe I can find someone there that can help me get back home. It took me fifteen minutes walk to eventually find the place. The bell rung as I entered the place.

“Good morning!” greeted the barman.

It turns out it wasn’t just a bar. There was a mini shop within it too. After having no dinner last night, I thought I’d get some junk to calm my nerves.

“How much is this crisps?”

The owner seemed confused. Realising my mistake, “I meant chips!”

The shopkeeper smiled and right away stated the fare, “Two dollar!”

Then a cross-eyed man came over and approached me. “Hey! ‘You a friend of Mr Heston?”

I nodded and introduced myself.

“I’m Charles Wylie. People call me Chuck. Mr Heston called me ‘Chuck-O’-Billy-Willy’.”

I giggled.

“So what did he called you?”

“Mark just called me my name.”

“He called you ‘my name’? ‘My name’ is a strange name or did you mean he called you MY NAME. I thought he used that name only on me!”

I laughed, so did the shop owner. The owner held out his hand, “I’m Peter Drummond.” We shook hands.

“Pleasure to meet you Mr Drummond.” I replied

“I need to get back home in the city Mr Drummond. Is there any buses that passes through the area?”

Both of the men laughed. “There ain’t no buses passing around this joint… Tell you what, Mark told us you’ll be needing a ride home. Chuck here helps me with errands and supplies. He can give you a ride back to the city. By the way, did you stay overnight at Mr Heston’s grand mansion? How is Mark doing?”

“I did…”

“Chuck, go and help Mark’s friend.”

“Sure thing Captain!” Chuck turned his face to me. “You know, Mr Heston was very generous to me. Every time we meet, he’d gave me a large tip. Around, I don’t know a hundred or so. Catch what I’m saying?” raising his eyebrows.”

Looking at the amount of cash I had in my money bag through my sling bag, I had around six tens and some silvers. Chuck took all of the notes.

“Here’s ten to pay for your snack!” giving me back a tenner. Mr Drummond gave me the bag of chips and a bottle of OJ. I showed him the note but he shook his head and pushed away the money.

“Ready?” Chuck asked me. I nodded.

It felt weird going back to the apartment knowing Mark will never be there ever again. Staring outside the car window as we finally entered the city limit, watching people in their cars carrying on their daily mundane routines, working nine to five. I don’t know whether life will feel like it used to. My head just hurts thinking about it.

“Here is the place! Fancy! Are you sure this is where you live?”

“Not for long.” I told myself.

“Charlie, can you give me a ride to work later?”

“Sure kid, shall I wait here?”

“Yes please. I won’t be long.”

Entering the building was mind numbingly familiar. The glistening surface of the interior felt like someone placed a tuning fork close to my head as I walked across the Lobby. The lift opens and closes as it pleases just as it always have, securely ready to bring me to the top floor. It felt like the lift took a long time to do it’s job but generous enough not letting anyone else to board it. I forgot the duration I was in the elevator until it ‘pings’.

I hate the generic movement of opening door with a key that so often done everyday just so ones can get inside their own homes. Seeing the apartment looking just as it was surprised me maybe because it felt like I left it ages ago despite being only yesterday that I left the place with Mark. I felt like trudging but the polished laminated flooring caused me to glide instead. I felt sick to the stomach looking at the whole place. It was too big, too grande and I no longer have a reason to keep the place tidy. I feel like breaking everything in plain sight. Why is it I am the one that have to pick up the pieces of the mess left by a selfish so-called friend that didn’t keep his promises. I don’t even know what I’m doing in the apartment wondering around the corridor like I was looking for someone.

Suddenly I remember the intention of me coming back to the place. I’ve rashly made the decision that I can’t stay here anymore because the whole reason I was ever really there to begin with was gone. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. As I make my way to pack some clothes to stay at least till Wednesday away from the apartment, I saw the white tank top that Mark wore yesterday when he woke up. It was next to the bathroom in his giant walk-in wardrobe. I walked closer to it to have a look. Couldn’t bear the sight of it, I turned away and went straight to my bedroom. I stuffed my travel bag with the things that I need. For some reason, I also brought along empty jars that I wasn’t even sure why I did it. Before I leave the apartment, I had a wash then leave the space without turning to look at its cruel indifference of my plight.

“Where is your workplace dawg?”

“I don’t feel like going to work today Chuck. Please take me back to the mansion.”

“As you wish.”

As the car turns the otherway round, I feel like vomiting. Perhaps a déjà vu moment. After Chuck’s pick-up left the city limit, we’re back to being surrounded by the façade of greenery and foliage, I began to wonder what Mark told me before he died.

“Chuck, what do you know about Mark’s ex-wife?”

“Nothing at all. Heck, I never knew he was even married!”

“Did he ever told anyone about his love life?”

“Who’s asking?”

“I’m just curious.”

“A man like Mr Heston have trails of girls following after him. Huge ego! Eligible bachelor and all that! Why are you not asking Mr Heston all this questions?”

“It’s nothing really! It’s just that he said he gave me something really grande that I didn’t agree to accept. Then he said he loved me.”

“I would accept any gifts Mr Heston offers. I think you misunderstood Mr Heston about the love thing. I admire good old Mr Heston so you queer types stay away from him!”

“I think you misunderstood me Chuck…”

“No! I think you misunderstood about everything here! And that’s Mr Wylie to you!”

Chuck pull the car in front of the entrance of the mansion.

“You got me all wrong!”

“No, you’re that got it all wrong. Don’t you dare take advantage of my friend Stetson Heston. He’s just a lonely man surrounded by no good gold diggers that are after his money…”

I opened the door got out of the pick up. “You really got me all wrong Mr Wylie. It is nothing like what you thought I was saying. In fact it’s the otherway round. Honest!”

“Oh, OK. Since Mark told us over there to look out for you. I’ll believe you. He made it clear that you were important to him… Tell you what! You can call me Chuck again. Now we’re like family! Remember that! We look out for each other!”

“OK Chuck! My bretheren, innit!. Thanks for the lift!”

“You better get under somewhere dry. It looks like it’s gonna rain soon.”

I took my travel bag from the back of the pick up truck before it disappears on the highway.

Somehow, now I feel like some of the heavy weight that I lugged around since last night disappeared until I opened the front door and got in. I feel sicky… I left my luggage hanging around at the corridor then went straight for bed at three in the afternoon that day.

FLASHBACK

APARTMENT

First day having secured my own place. Very appreciative of the luck I had. I started by buying a second hand refrigerator…

“Easy guys, let me open the door first before you wheel in my new fridge.” As I opened the door, the sound of grinding, wood being sawed, walls being knocked over. I was dumbstruck. Have I entered the wrong apartment.

Someone was calling out for me amidst the tinkering. My glance turned towards one of the labourers. He stopped knocking down a wall, resting the sledgehammer against what was left of the wall lifted his hearing preserver. Somehow the man seemed familiar despite everyone other than me and the delivery men looked almost the same.

“Mr Heston? What are you doing?” I screamed to make myself heard.

“Knocking down walls.”

“I can see that but why? How am I suppose to move in? What is happening around here?” The grinding of metal object hits my ear painfully.

“Thanks for your help guys. You may leave.” I told the guys that helpfully carried my newly bought fridge. Together, the guys, me, and Mr Heston walked out into the hallway. As Mr Heston closed the door, the sound of the work being done within the apartment dulled. Here we can hear ourselves better.

“Thanks guys!” I bid the delivery men farewell.

“Don’t mention it!” said one of them and they left using the lift.

“I’m turning six apartment into one. Two floors, three across.”

“But I’m only renting one room Mr Heston. Not even a whole apartment. What am I going to do with SIX?”

“I’m living here from now on. My workers are now remodelling the whole place with furnitures and what not. We’re going to be housemates! We can help each other out.”

“But… How… Since when did you acquire six apartment units… How do we deal with the rent? I can’t afford any extra costs.”

“Worry about that later. Right now, go inside and pick out of the twelve new rooms that you want before they knock it down.” Mr Heston placed his ear protector on my head and signalled me towards the apartment door the carried my luggage to God knows where. It felt awkward spoilt with choice in picking my own room with the fact that this sort of generousity is extremely rare in the big cities. I just knew I had to be cautious with everything I had to do in this new setting because nothing comes this easily. I roamed around in the chaotic scene until I reached a part of the now enlarged apartment unit where it was way quiter as being already ravaged by sledge hammers and grinders. It was probably the smallest apartment before the unification but it was perfect. A small kitchen area with three rooms. Three rooms, one was bigger than the other and a large room was in between the two rooms with stoppered pipings and bare drainage holes. The smaller room had more than a modest space, enough for a single bed and had it’s own complete bathroom. I had made my choice.

BACK IN THE PRESENT

THE NEXT DAY

There was someone there in a maid outfit with a blonde hair. I walked closer to see who it was. As I got closer, I saw her face was caked with make up. It was attrocious.

“Excuse me who are you?” I asked her.

In an accent she talked to me, “Oh, hellow! I’m Elsa Verbinski… I know you! You’re that kid in that video… Mr Heston’s house maid in his apartment, ya?!”

“Actually, I’m his housemate… Video? Maid?”

“Ya! Of course! Are you heeya to replace me? Where is Mr Heston?”

“He’s sort of… dead.”

“He’s dead… yes…” looking like an idiot. I don’t know whether she was genuine or just mocking me.

“You know, Mr Heston is always very demanding, no?! I used his tooth brush to clean the toilet many times. He likes to tell me to do this, and do that. I hate him. He’s my number one enemy, no?! Like Osama bin Laden. I want to karate chop him like you, yes?!

“Mr Heston is… was my friend. I never did that to him.”

“No?! Why?!”

“I better go now Elsa! I’m staying in one of the employee’s bedroom if that’s alright.”

“OK!”

Then I remembered about the promise I made to Mark. “Elsa, I need you to help me deal with Mr Heston’s body later. Can you?”

“Mr Heston’s body?!” I can’t be bothered to explain the whole thing to her, I just left her hanging until I came back after leaving my luggage in the bedroom.

“Mr Heston?” Elsa stared bewildered as I showed Mark’s body in the glass tank. I stopped the motor and began unstrapping Mark from the articulating frame.

“Elsa, I don’t know how to operate this crane. I think I broke it.”

“Ya, you broke it.”

“Oh, bug… Help lift him onto that gurney.” We lifted him and placed him on the metal gurney.

“He don’t look dead. He looks like he’s happy. Mr Heston!!!” Elsa began slapping his face. “You know, Mr Heston is so sexy. I had to sleep with him to get my job. Do you know he like dead people?”

I smiled unsincerely, “Yes I do.”

“I like dead people too. Mr Heston looks better dead. Don’t you think?” Elsa held Mark’s face admiring him.

I saw a giant glass fish tank just about the same size as the other glass tank but it was empty. The manual talked about draining blood from the corpse, replacing it with arterial medium. I can’t even tell what they really want me to do. All the words say like I was suppose to poke around on a guy that I just witness recently died in front of my eyes. I kept flipping the pages. Then a piece of paper fell from the manual. It was from Mark. I now know what to do.

“Elsa, help me carry Mark in to that glass tank over there.” Instead of listening to me, Elsa was too busy captivated by Mark.

“Oi! You! Help me carry Mr Heston into that tank!” She woke up from her unattentive disposition and immediately get the job done. We then poured something slick and oily liquid that looked like baby oil from giant unlabeled white vats. It was surreal doing this. I’ve just commited a felony by failing to prevent a suicide, then actually enabling it, then performing illegal embalming of a corpse. I constantly ask myself whether I had really thought this through. When it was time to lift the glass lid to seal the glass case, Elsa and I failed to perform. It was too heavy and fragile for us to lift. We gave up. Elsa went running off somewhere leaving me wondering how to solve this obstacle. I sit on a stool staring at Mark’s unchanging expression. What have you brought me into Mark? Have you been refering me to everyone you know as someone who merely cleans your apartment rather than a friend? What is this talk about a video. Is there even more things that you failed to tell me! You told me about that snuff prank you did when you drugged yourself. God I hope that was only it. I left the strange and morbid room.

I thought I’ll go to the kitchen and poke around. The kitchen was amazing! Sure, the furnishing and equipments were high-tech but what really impressed me was the larder! Then I remembered the empty jars and then decided to make spiced peaches. I don’t have a reason to but what else am I to do? The peaches that Mark picked wasn’t enough to fill in the jars, so I walked over to the orchard to get more. In the mean time, I also picked up some herbs for spicage. I tried out an apple, surprisingly, they were sweet this time of the year so I also got some of them. I made spiced peaches just enough to fill in all the jars after it’s been sterilised and an assortment of pies and tarts. I’ve made all those and I wasn’t even going to eat them. I thought to myself, what was I thinking? What a waste!

I hated looking at the food, so I left the kitchen and bumped into Elsa holding a mop and bucket with a cleaning spray and a cloth.

“Hey! Watch where you going! Can you help me, ya?!”

“Hmm… go on, what is it?”

“Can you help me clean a room?”

“Yea, whatever!”

“It’s the pink room.”

Then I remembered, “Oh, what do you know about Wednesday?”

“Some of Mark’s friends coming over, no?”

I hummed confirming it.

When I went up the flight of stairs to go to the room, I saw two men coming out of of the room I was suppose to clean. One was wearing a suit with his chest exposed, the other was stark naked with a bed sheet providing censorship.

“Where is Elsa? She’s suppose to clean the room for us last time. That was on Saturday…”

“I’m cleaning the room.”

“So you’re replacing her. You should’ve been here earlier!”

“What are you talking about?!”

“Wait a minute! You’re that kid!” said the man in the suit.

“Yeah, yeah, I remember!” said the naked man.

“What?! What is it?! Is there something you know that I don’t know?”

“It’s nothing kid. How’s Mark doing?” said the man in the suit.

Another person asked me the same question. What am I suppose to say? “He’s dead!”

They laughed, “Isn’t he always. Catch you later kid.”

“Later.”

“Yes, later.” I smirked unsincerely.

The room stank like humans. I’m too scared to touch anything in there, fearing that I might catch something. There was sticky wet marks on the sheets and blood like someone was murdered there. The strange things humans do. I wonder what might be under the bed so I looked. It was too dark for me to see but I can tell it was a box. I pulled it out from under the bed and opened it. Inside was a bottle of glue that plainly had a label in marker pen saying ‘LUBE’ and a few strange gherkin shaped thingies. Without thinking, I picked one up that was made from metal. It was warm. Then I realised. Oh my God! I dropped it back in the box and pushed it back under the bed and run off to wash my hands obsessively with bleach.

It took me hours to get the whole place ship shaped. Some stains just didn’t want to come off. I’m just glad there was no poo! But the things that was there instead was equally revolting! As I was putting away the cleaning products, I saw one of the men I saw earlier. He was still walking around with the bedsheet wrapped around him but this time he’s wearing a pair of boxers. He was eating the food that I made. I went over and looked at him.

He greeted me, “Hey!”

He was eating it and eating it. Grumbling like he really enjoyed it.

“This is good!”

“Thanks.”

“Who made these?”

“I did. Why?”

“What is this called?” he pointed at a flan tart.

“I don’t know. It was just short crust pastry with yogurt, sugar, apples and nuts.”

“I love nuts! Am mam mam mam mam…!” then Elsa showed up. Somehow she looked different. She went behind the man and put her arms over his shoulders.

“Go easy on the food! You’ll choke.” I told the man.

“I’m really hungry! Got anymore?!”

“No, but I can make some more. What would you like?”

“Well what do you have?” he asked

I went over to the fridge and found a whole chicken surrounded by junk and stuff and a few things that I wish not to mention.

“There’s chicken! Roast chicken? But it will take a couple of ours to be ready.”

The man shook his head.

“Maybe a fajita.?”

He nodded, then changed his mind. “I had too much calories already. Gotta watch my weight!”

Elsa was running her hands over the man’s torso. I was cringing as it was happening.

“Elsa, stop that.” The man told her.

“I can’t help it. You’re so sexy.”

“How’s the surgery? Did you finally fixed your massive nose?!”

Elsa let go of the man. “There’s a little swelling, but I look pretty, no?”

“Next time, get yourself a penis so I can be more interested…”

He then turned towards me and hold out his hand, “Hei, I’m Toby.” I replied and shook his hand.

“Thanks for the food. It was delicious!” then grabbed my head and kissed me on the forehead and left the kitchen. I was taken by surprise.

Elsa made a face then said, “Toby is so handsome! All of Mark’s friends are handsome and beautiful people, except you! I don’t think he ever friends with you. You are ugly, yes!” then strut out of the kitchen.

She was right. Who am I kidding. Mark didn’t really mean what he said to me. I leaned on to the counter work top feeling really upset and fell asleep.

I wake up later when it was dark and there are people around me with loud music in the background. I looked at the clock and realised it was five past seven. I decided to go to bed but curious about what is happening here that I took a detour to get a closer look. The mansion was filled with people, mostly young people. The atmosphere was wild, so was the scene. I don’t even remember seeing a disco ball hanging over the huge forum before. It’s like a scene from those gangster mafia movie in the scene where they show the boss’s club.

“Hey, dude, great funhouse!” a man dressed in party outfit with that stupid plastic shades that has become the rage right now.

I removed myself from the crowd and got into the bedroom I’m staying. It was dark so I turned on the light. The glare hurts my eyes. Then I saw the man that ate my pies again, on my bed fast asleep. I thought I was seeing things. I flicked lights on and off over and over again. The man wouldn’t go away! I turned lights back off because I started to get headache.

A girl opened the door, “Oops, sorry! Is this bathroom?”

“No. It’s right across the corridor, third door on the left.” I said and closed the door.

I shook the man really hard then hit him over and over again but he wouldn’t budge.

“Get off my bed!”

A man opened the door, “Is this the toilet.”

“No! Third door on the left!” I shouted. I really want to sleep. I tried again to wake the man up but he still wouldn’t go away!

A group of three girls showed up asking the same thing again. I pushed them out, again told them, “Third door on the left.” Then I locked the door. Consecutively the same question asked over and over again, coupled with the loud music and the smell of alcohol lingering the whole place, I feel nauseous.

A knock at the door, “Is this the washroom?”

“Go away!”

“OK, geez!”

I sit at a corner of the room, waiting for it all to get away but the ruckus was unabating. In the end I fell asleep because of sleep deprivation.

I wake up later when it was dark and there are people around me with loud music in the background. I looked at the clock and realised it was five past seven. I decided to go to bed but curious about what is happening here that I took a detour to get a closer look. The mansion was filled with people, mostly young people. The atmosphere was wild, so was scene. I don’t even remember seeing a disco ball hanging over the huge forum before. It’s like a scene from those gangster mafia movie in the scene where they show the boss’s club.

“Hey, dude, great funhouse!” a man dressed in party outfit with that stupid plastic shades that has become the rage right now.

I removed myself from the crowd and got into the bedroom I’m staying. It was dark so I turned on the light. The glare hurts my eyes. Then I saw the man that ate my pies again, on my bed fast asleep. I thought I was seeing things. I flicked lights on and off over and over again. The man wouldn’t go away! I turned the lights back off because I started to get a headache.

picture.php

A girl opened the door, “Oops, sorry! Is this bathroom?”

“No. It’s right across the corridor, third door on the left.” I said and closed the door.

I shook the man really hard then hit him over and over again but he wouldn’t budge.

“Get off my bed!”

A man opened the door, “Is this the toilet.”

“No! Third door on the left!” I shouted. I really want to sleep. I tried again to wake the man up but he still wouldn’t go away!

A group of three girls showed up asking the same thing again. I pushed them out, again told them, “Third door on the left.” Then I locked the door. Consecutively the same question asked over and over again, coupled with the loud music and the smell of alcohol lingering the whole place, I feel nauseous.

A knock at the door, “Is this the washroom?”

“Go away!”

“OK, geez!”

I sit at a corner of the room, waiting for it all to get away but the ruckus was unabating. In the end I fell asleep because of sleep deprevation.

FLASHBACK

MARK’S INSOMNIA

I’ve received a call from the owner that the apartment had finished been rennovated and furnished. Today was so exciting for me. Finally I’ve got my own place where no one can tell me what to do. The building felt extra grand knowing that I’m finally one of the residents. Every floor the elevator missed was a floor closer to a place of my own. I’m jittering just from the excitement. “Ping!” Now two of the doors in the hallway was missing leaving one inbetween. I slowly turned the key to cherish the moment that I am finally independ…

It was impressive. Within one day, an apartment that was originally six be dismantled that put up again in one day and made to look like a proper penthouse. I called out for the owner.

“Is that you?” He answered back. I walked in deeper into the appartment and down a flight of steps.

“You’re early!”

“When you called that it’s ready. I couldn’t stay away.”

“So?”

“So, what?”

“So, what do you think of the place?”

“It’s great!”

He smiles, “Good! Now, I have to get ready to go to work. Can you do my laundry?”

It was a strange request but after what he had done for me, “OK…”

“Great, it’s in a pile in… I don’t remember which room. Can you look for it yourself?”

“Sure.”

“If you do this well, I promise I’ll lower your rent back down. I’ll be home really late, so don’t wait up.”

“Sorry, what?!”

He left me wondering what he meant by “… I’ll lower your rent back down.”

My room had a bed, a desk and a drawers. They changed the toilet bowl and the wash basin. Now, the shower and the bath tub was separate. I quickly unpack.

When I finally organised my belongings in the room I looked around told myself, “My room!” I heard the lower front door slammed.

picture.php

Hey… Sanderson! We’ve got a big ONE!

“I don’t know about this. I’ve never done this before.” Mark said, slightly nervous.

“You’ll be fine matey! You’ll love it!” Terrence assures him.

“OK. If you say so.”

Terrence brought him into a room with studio lights and cameras. He then introduce Mark to a man in a suit in the room.

“Meet Hayden Sanderson.”

The man shook hands with Mark, “Call me Dale.”

“He’s a lawyer!” Terrence excitingly ejaculated.

“Nice to meet you.” Mark professed.

Dale begun, “Shall we start now?”

“Yes, let’s start by warming up.”

Dale sat on a chair preparing while Terrence got the camera.

“What’s happening right now?” Mark asked Terrence. Terrence jumped.

“You already got a boner! I’m still getting myself to the climax. How are you doing Dale?”

“Still working on it!” Dale answered.

“I don’t really know what I’m doing. I’ve never done this before.” Mark getting more nervous.

“Don’t worry about it.” Terrence touches Mark’s… “All you need is this. Hey… Sanderson! We’ve got a big ONE!”

And you know the rest you sickos…

I was woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of someone groaning and sheets being turned over and over again, so I got off bed and went off searching where it was coming from. The sound was coming from the owner’s bedroom. He was twisting and turning and talking in his sleep.

“Mr Heston, are you alright?” I nudged him.

“Mr Heston!” I said it louder and shook him to wake him up. He risen, breathing heavily in cold sweats.

“Can’t you sleep Mr Heston?”

He looked rather disoriented and mumbling. “What? Sorry. I’m alright. Get back to sleep.” Then lay back on his bed. I left his bedroom feeling sorry for him. So I made some of my camomile tea and brought it to him.

“Mr Heston?’

“What!”

“I’ve made some camomile tea.”

He grunted then told me to go away.

“It will help you sleep.”

He grunted then drank the tea swiftly. Before going back to my room, I first washed the drinking vessel. I felt bad that he can’t sleep because of his problems but I need to get to sleep as well. He was still making a lot of noises but I eventually nodded off after being tired of it.

THE NEXT DAY

I felt sorry for Mr Heston, so I woke up early to make him breakfast. It wasn’t much really. Only eggs on toast and a cup of coffee that I made from a stream packet of instant coffee a friend gave me but I’m not that fond of coffee so I didn’t drank it. Mr Heston had the breakfast I made and was just about to leave when he received a phone call.

“That’s today?! Ssshoots! Thanks for reminding me earlier before I got to the office.” He turned his face towards me.

“Can you help me out?” he asked me.

“Why not. What is it Mr Heston?”

“I’m suppose to be having a function here, more like a business party but I lost track of time to organize it. Do you know what to do? And please, call me Mark.”

“The function is here?! When?”

“Today! Promptly two thirty – two forty five!”

“That leaves us with not much time. Tell you what, I’ll make a few calls… by the way, what’s the budget?”

“I’ll have to worry about that later. All I know is I have to get it before the schedule dues. It is very important to me that everything runs smoothly.”

“I’ll run down the street to get people to do the catering. By the way, how would you like it to be like?”

“What do you mean?”

“The food. Is it like dining in, canape or a buffet…”

“I’m pretty sure it’s a canape!”

“Right! I know a shop three streets away that makes great finger foods.”

“It has to be sophisticated! My career is on the line!”

“I’ll makes sure it runs smoothly.”

“I’ll call my secretary to help you out.”

I don’t know how we pulled it off, but we did it! We got everything done by two fourty-one, just as the guests was coming in.

“Ingrid thank for your help. And thanks to you too!”

Me and Ingrid both said you’re welcome to Mark.

“Will you be joining in the party Ingrid?” Mark invited his secretary.

“Sure will boss! Anything to celebrate your achievements! I’m very proud of you!”

“Thanks!... Go on over! Mingle!”

“Thank you!” Ingrid giddily went over to where the guests are.

Mr Heston looked over to me, “How about you? Aren’t you joining in?”

“Nah! I don’t feel like it.”

“Come on it will be fun! But it’s a formal party. You’ll have to put on a suit.”

“I don’t have one and I don’t wear suits.”

“You can borrow some of mine if you want!”

“No, I mean I don’t wear suits.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t like them.”

“Come on! Why don’t you like wearing suits? I like dressing in a suit!”

“I just don’t. I mean, you look good in a suit Mark but I just cringe if I had to put them on.”

“Why is that?”

“Well, I watched this documentary about fetishes and there are some people in this world that have something called ‘kinky suit fetish role playing’ or something.”

Mark’s face turned from a smile to expressionless.

“What is the matter Mark?”

“Do me a favour and keep out of sight so the guests can’t see you. The party strictly has a formal dress code. I hope you’ll keep your discretion to yourself.”

“I’m planning to stay in my room the whole day anyway. Enjoy your party Mark!”

“Thanks.” he said looking like he didn’t really mean it.

The party ended at nine thirty but some guests stayed around longer. When I thought all the guests were gone I went out of my room and helped out with the cleaning. I thought there was going to be someone helping me then suddenly Mark appeared.

“So how was the party?”

“It ran smoothly. The company’s clients were impressed. Not that you would know!”

“Where are the caterers. Aren’t they cleaning up?”

“They left right after it ended.”

“So we’re the one that has to clean up.” I sighed. Mark walked away. “Aren’t you helping?” I asked.

“I’m going to turn over. I want this place cleaned by tomorrow… Oh yeah, your rent is two thousand five hundred dollars a month.”

“What?! But we made a deal!”

“Well, I changed my mind.”

“But I live on scholarship! It barely reach the thirty six thousand dollar mark. I can’t live on a few hundreds!”

“Well you better start working then!”

“Wha’ are you playing at?!”

“Tell you what! You keep the place clean, and I’ll cut you some slacks. Deal?!”

“Wh…!”

He left me to clean the party mess on my own. When I finally got the place in order, I saw two man in suits on Mark’s side of the apartment. I thought they were one of his guests. I remembered that he said I shouldn’t let myself be seen by them so I left and went over to my room and closed the door. I was rather hungry. The only thing I had for dinner was a few slivers of sliced apples from the canape’s leftovers. I thought I wait a little longer until the strangers disappears.

After I had a shower, I noticed a loud music coming from outside. I tried to open my bedroom door but it was blocked by something. I banged on the door and called out for Mark but the music was so loud, probably no one can hear me. Something yucky about the music that I can’t describe. All I know is something really suspicious is happening beyond my bedroom and it doesn’t sound sanitary. I waited for God knows, but I was so tired, I fell asleep without any dinner.

picture.php

Antonio, Terrence and Mark doing... things. I wanted to censor this but you guys are ignoring my posts, at least not reacting to them anyway. Is anyone even reading this stuff?

BACK IN THE PRESENT

MORNING

I yawned as I woke up on the floor of the bedroom the next morning. I tried to rub my eyes then realised a strong pair of arms holding me firmly from behind.Ahhh!!!!! A naked man is hugging me! I struggled to loosen his hold but instead he tightens it. I can hear him sucking his saliva and breathing heavily behind my neck. It felt like he was smelling my hair.

Oh God! I start feeling myself then relieved that I wasn’t violated. Thank God!

I kicked the man and gave him a good knock on the noggin’ until he released me. I went to the bathroom and freshen up. I had a terrible migrane so I look into the medicine cabinet for something to ease it a bit. There was a bottle of aspirin so I had one. It tasted weird! Different to the usual aspirin I ever had. I keep washing my hands and my face with cold water. Then I realised my skin went flushed. Then I looked in the mirror and my face was flushed too. What is this thing in the bottle!

As I was about to leave the bathroom, the man that refers to himself as Toby was blocking the way.

“Did anything happened last night?” he asked.

“Nothing happened Tobias! Thank God!”

“How did you know my name is Tobias?”

“Yesterday you said your name was Toby. Don’t you remember? You ate the things I made in the kitchen.”

He rests his arm on the door frame, “Oh, I remember.” He winked then raised a brow up and down.

“Do you mind moving away? I need to get out of the toilet.”

“I can’t do that!” he smiled showing his white teeth then grab hold of me from behind and jumped on the bed.”

“Help!!!” I cried out.

“I missed the party last night!” He said. I shook as hard as I could. My honour is at stake. The man keep holding me tighter and tighter, breathing on my face heavily, smelling my hair. Then I felt the… “Ahhh! Get off me!” so I kicked his gents extremely hard. He groaned in pain then released me. “Not the balls! Ughh!”

I ran away as fast as I can. I can still hear Toby crying out in pain. Serve you right you perve! I went over to the kitchen to make some tea then stared outside at the driveway as a car pulled over. Then the door bell rang, then a knocking not the front door, but another door somewhere else. There are more than one front doors it turns out to be. I opened the door and a suave man in suit was standing right there.

“Who are you?” he said. I introduced myself.

“I’m Hayden Sanderson.”

“Nice to meet you Mr Sanderson.” I remembered that his name was one of the names that had a green tick next to them.

“You’re one of Mark’s friends, aren’t you?” I said.

He smiled then shook my hands, “Call me Dale.”

“Please come in Dale!”

I looked up to the sky and noticed storm clouds brewing from as far as the eyes can see but stopped right in front of the mansion as if the tall trees was guarding them off.

“Did you clean the house?”

“No, I didn’t.”

“Then Elsa must’ve. Where’s Mark? I came early to talk to him…”

I didn’t answer and left his sight. I got hold of the black book, and began flipping it’s pages. A couple of hours later. I saw a rugged man on a chopper came onto the driveway. I went downstairs to check it out. Dale asked me to open the door for the guest. I did. As I did, a towering man stood up and smiling at me warmly, “Hey kid!” he ruffled my hair. “Are you another of Mark’s friend, Dane Karl Johnssen?” I asked picking out the remaining four names with the green marking. He held out his hands. His hands was huge, like he could crush my head with it. He looked nothing like a person with agromegaly or giantism. He was proportionate for a man his size. I probably over exaggerate, but he was a frightening titan!

“Dane! Great to see you!” he then took his eyes off me looking pass me.

“Da- Dale mah man! Looking good!”

They gave each other a bros hug. Mr Johnssen looked at me smiling. “Catch ya later kid!” then walked off with Dale.

The next hour, more guests coming, both came over in a car, so I thought I’d guess their names as well. I opened the door, a man way younger than the two appeared. Now the wind outside started to pick up.

‘Mr Landon Glenn?”

He didn’t say much. He just sighed and we just shook hands. The same thing happened a few minutes later with another young man that has dark skin but he had the discretion to say hi at least.

“Winston?” I asked. He nodded then came in.

Dale found me as I was sitting on a chair in God knows where in the oversized house.
“Do you know where Mark keeps his liquor?”

I shook my head.

“Can you please alert me when Jay has arrived?”

“Jason Kronen?”

“Yes.” He affirmed. “OK.”

A battered van parked outside. It’s twelve past eleven, the storm clouds completely covered the sky but the air was still rather dry and slightly chilled. I went downstairs to open the door.

“Has Jason Kronen arrived?” Dale asked me. I nodded.

“My man Jayjay has arrrived. Oh yeah!” Mr Johnssen excited.

I opened the door, a beefy bald young man was standing outside with his hand in the pocket of his jeans. I introduced myself the held out my hands. He just say hi, smiled then went inside without even shaking my hands. How rude! At least he said hi and his smile was cute if not I would totally keep a grudge. Well, not really.

Dale shook hands with Mr Kronen and gave each other a bros hug.

“Jay Jason!” Mr Johnssen called out and they also did the same. The three men talked amongst themselves then laughed.

“You’re right…” Mr Kronen said. He then turned to me, “You’re that kid aren’t you. Wanna join us in our next snuff videos!”

My eyes widens, “The kid is freaking out!” Kronen said. They laughed it out.

Then Johnssen said, “Don’t worry kid. We know you’re not into this sort of stuff.”

Kronen started to talk to Johnssen.

“So Daney my dude, are ya gonna let me do some tinkering on your chopper now that you’re in town?”

“Sure thing bud! Three days on the road, straight from Atlanta did a toll on the gears and engine.”

“Three days! That’s amazing!”

“I’m surprised myself! My best time was five days!”

“Wow!

“I think I shouldn’t have done. I feel like shit!” Johnssen’s stomach grumbles.

They went over to the sitting room except for Dale.

“Where are the documents?” he asked.

“Documents?”

“Yes, Mark’s important documents. Have you seen it?”

“No, but he left his briefcase in the office.”

“You mean his study?”

I nodded.

“By the way, where is Mark?”

I turned away and walked off.

“Can you help us make refreshments?”

“Yes sure.”

“Are you OK? You look like you’re going to cry.”

“What?! I’m OK. What would you like?”

“Some Sauvignon Cabernet…”

“I don’t know where he kept those.”

“Then a coffee would be nice.”

“OK.”

After I gave Dale the coffee, I went back to staring outside the window. It started to rain now. The droplets of water trickled disingenuosly because of the eratic winds. Elsa Verbinski showed up in a new outfit different from the maid outfit she wore yesterday. The had some man clothes on a hanger in her hands and gave it to me.

“Give this to Toby if you seen him. I can’t find him anywhere.” she told me without her accent. So she was mocking me. “If you’re wondering about the accent, I’m Latvian.” She raised her nose and walked away. The nerve of some people! She stopped and turned her face. “The boys want some drinks! The liquors are in the cava downstairs. Make them something to eat too!” then carried on walking. Who are you telling me what to do. But the people she’s talking about is… was Mark’s friends so I feel obliged to.

I went downstairs to the servant’s bedroom to see if Tobias was still there. I can hear the toilet bowl being flushed then a man sighing.

“Aaah! My stomach hurts!”

It is Tobias. It turns out he’s still there. Thank goodness he got his trunks on.

“Serves you right!”

“No, that’s not it. Aaaggh!”

“I told you not to eat all those sweet stuff yesterday. You probably didn’t even brushed your teeth last night.”

He smiled, “Hehehe!... But I did brush my teeth this morning. Uhhh!” he sighed. His stomach made a funny sound.

“Does it really hurt?”

He nodded, “I had to go five times already. Ugggh!” he went back in to the toilet. There was a sound of flushing again.

“Come ‘ere you stupid man! Put some ‘Vicks’ on your belly.” I called out to him. I hang his clothes on the door knob and took the bottle of ointment from my travel bag.

“Here!” I gave him the bottle.

“That doesn’t look like ‘Vicks’!”

“It’s homemade! Vicks use paraffin and silicone as base. I use coconut oil. It’s the samething!”

“They use the same silicone in the computers to make ‘Vicks’!”

“No! You idiot! It’s silicone jelly, like Vaseline!”

At least he didn’t said ‘boob-job’ because that would be pretty close. He took the bottle of ointment and smiled.

“Can you put them on me?”

“What?!”

“Please?!” he made a face trying to be cute. He sort of reminded me of Mark. Are all of his friends this immature?!

“Fine… whatever!”

Toby laid on the bed. I poured the ointment on his stomach. “Rub it on yourself!”

Still smiling like a monkey, “Can you rub it on for me please?”

“What is wrong with you?! Can’t you just leave me alone?! Your clothes hanging over there!” I pointed to it.

“Don’t you like me?!” he said while making puppy dog faces. Again it reminded me…

“Ya ya, I’ll rub your belly! What is wrong with people in this house!”

He cheered while I rubbed the ointment on his skin. He placed his hand on mine while I was rubbing his belly.

“Hands off or I’ll bash your nuts!”

Toby got scared and took his hands off. He keep staring at me freakily, smiling.

“Can you stop that!”

Back