The Great Recession

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
default.jpg

I went to the local shopping mall...and got a complete shock. Empty shelves and I was the only shopper!

I made a video, watch how far a nation's economy can fail and pray that this doesn't happen to your country - it is sad and depressing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkh1uocvZRA

What is the situation in your area?

What time of day were you in the mall? The only time I have a seen a mall empty like that was one that was closing and most of the stores had left. I am lucky that in the area I live in is doing fairly well. The unemployment rate is lower than the national average (9.1 vs. 9.7). I also live in the suburbs which generally do not have the same type of poor conditions you find in the cities. The shopping mall that is closest to me is huge and is in an area referred to as "The Golden Triangle" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Triangle_(Massachusetts))

I liked the music you set your video to, what is the name of it?

Around noon. This shop has been like that for several months but today was complete devastation.

People here have stopped shopping, you have no idea who many shops have closed in the last month or two.

I can not imagine a mall that empty in the middle of the day. The only reason I go to a mall is to be around people. I have 8 malls within 25 miles of my home, and that does not include shopping centers. I usually shop in the stores in my town. I like toto give my business to those companies in my town, so that they stay open and the downtown does not become a ghost town, like has happened in so many small towns across america.

You are doing a great job for the community man, keep it up.

On CNN they showed some really devastated towns in small-town America, sorry to say but it looked worse than here.

It is very sad when a small town loses it's stores and becomes empty. The people blame it on the malls, but I think it goes deeper than that. One of the largest malls in the state is only 7 miles from my town, and a walmart is only 4 miles, but yet, the downtown prospers, because people here make an effort to stay local whenever possible. It also helps when a town has business to help with shoppers during the day. A lot of people shop on their lunch hours or right after work, so it helps if you have people in your town during the day.

I agree with you. It is more complicated that what we can conver in this discussion. Perhaps it is a combination of factors.

Maybe the shop's managers didn't have a succesfull strategy, another shop near this one offers discounts and still survives.

Back