Petrila Mine Disaster - *Recent Event* - 16 Nov 2008 in Romania

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Petrila Mine Disaster

On November 15, 2008 at least 12 miners died after two explosions at Petrila Mine, Hunedoara County, Romania.

Two explosions in a coal mine in southwestern Romania Saturday killed eight miners and four emergency workers, officials said. Prime Minister Călin Popescu Tăriceanu said the explosion that killed the miners in the coal-rich Jiu Valley occurred Saturday afternoon at a depth of 800 feet (250 meters).

Later, a second explosion killed the four rescue workers, said Ilie Păducel, mayor of the town of Petrila where the mine is located. Hundreds of relatives gathered at the mine after the first explosion, Realitatea TV reported. Romanian President Traian Băsescu said he would travel to the site later Saturday.

Mine officials said the explosions were believed to have been caused by an accumulation of methane gas. Officials have banned anyone from going down the mine for the next 48 hours. Eight injured miners are being treated for burns. Officials said about 100 miners were working at the time of the first explosion.

610x.jpg

^ Relatives mourn next to the coffin of a dead miner in Petrosani city, some 320km northwest of Bucharest, on November 16, 2008. Twelve miners were killed and about 10 injured on November 16 after two gas explosions at a mine in southwestern Romania, officials said. The two explosions occurred after an accumulation of methane gas in the Petrilamine, causing one of the deadliest mining accidents in Romania in recent years.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

yes. was cute and even beautiful in coffin although burnt.

Poor guys, getting burnt hurts like hell, esp in the face

I can't imagine what that felt like.

I once burnt my hand as a kid and pissed my pants with pain.

Hope they suffocated first, I dunno otherwise terrible way to go

Back