Category 5 Hurricane Irma Headed for Florida

Forecaster Chris Rothwell watching radar closely this morning, as the first band of Irma moves into the Keys with 40-50mph gusts.

it's horrible because im supposed to be sent to St. Petersberg Florida to live with my adoptive parent's relatives next week :(

here's a recent picture of it's storm track, it's shifting west, but it's also beginning to weaken:
ZYl2rwQn.png

hopefully it weakens very much and doesn't cause too much damage by the time it gets there :(

here's the link to the storm tracker i was using: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane-central/irma-2017/AL112017

The eye of Hurricane Irma hit Florida's southern islands as a category four storm a few minutes ago.

I hope it does not arrive in Orlando, I want to burn my money in this paradise of captalism one day :happy stud:

man, I predict many disasters in these recent events. Mexico was hit by a major earthquake, the largest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic, the west coast of Canada and the US being threatened with "the great earthquake" that occurs every 300 years approximately (and almost 300 years ago had the last), magnetic field reversing causing animals to become confused and altering the food chain and salinity of the site. And to make matters worse, North Korea is looking for loopholes to declare war and without losing the alliance with China...
If something big happens in the US it's going to be a FUCK domino effect.

Thanks, very cool. The hurricane has weakened to Category 3 so no major damage to infrastructure reported so far.

The Florida Keys are very vulnerable if the
Overseas Highway gets destroyed the islands will be cut off from the US mainland.

During the The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane 423 people died mostly in the Floriday keys and the Islamorada area was completely devastated. All connections to the continent were destroyed so people had to be evacuated with boats.

it's horrible because im supposed to be sent to St. Petersberg Florida to live with my adoptive parent's relatives next week [/URL]

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the St Petersberg area took a fair hit, though not as bad as it might have ben since the storm was weakening.

Sounds like Irma is fizzling out over Tennessee - I'm wondered if it was going to do a Sherman act over Georgia, reach the coast, and revive and head into the jetstream, possibly meeting up with Jose (aawww, sweet) and sending its Mordorspawn our way. But no, Irma's dying over the US, Jose is circling aimlessly in the Atlantic looking for Bermuda but hopefully not finding it, and anyway the jetstream seems to be doing weird things - last week it was running more or less straight west-east from the northern US to the UK, now if Jose did manage to reach it it would probably end up dumping on Iceland or even Greenland.
But guess what, we've got our very own Storm Aileen, centre due to pass right over here about 3am.

Actually right on the stormtrack isn't such a bad place to be - for those in other climate zones, mid-latitude depressions aren't symmetrical, the heaviest rain normally trails south along the two fronts and the strongest winds can be anywhere but most often on the south side or SW quadrant, often quite low along the actual stormtrack (normally west to east) because that's following a pre-existing trough. So tonight the strongest winds of 75-80 miles per hour are forecast to be over Yorkshire c 100 miles south of here, and though there is a forecast of up to 2 inches/ 50mm of rain, my gues is that it will be less here because we're in the rain shadow of the Pennines.
At the moment it's raining heavily, not much wind - an ordinary British wet night.

I hope it does not arrive in Orlando, I want to burn my money in this paradise of captalism one day :happy stud:

man, I predict many disasters in these recent events. Mexico was hit by a major earthquake, the largest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic, the west coast of Canada and the US being threatened with "the great earthquake" that occurs every 300 years approximately (and almost 300 years ago had the last), magnetic field reversing causing animals to become confused and altering the food chain and salinity of the site. And to make matters worse, North Korea is looking for loopholes to declare war and without losing the alliance with China...
If something big happens in the US it's going to be a FUCK domino effect.

....And ending with the biggest domino of the bunch - Yellowstone going boom! Then no one will ever even SEE what hit them from the heavens after that!

Back