Hurricane Harvey rips through Texas

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
VvjJvno.gif

A major Category 3 hurricane with winds of 120 miles per hour is already starting to affect areas in Texas and remains on track to be the strongest hurricane to strike the United States in 12 years.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he’d sent a request to President Trump to declare a major federal disaster in Texas.

Little town of Rockport took a direct hit with property damage smashed cars and uprooted trees.

qTGykMh.jpg

Major disaster unfolding in Houston. Moving around the city is extremely difficult and dangerous as the entire city is flooded.

csGMslX.jpg

Everywhere you look cars are being abandoned as people scramble to find high ground.

HELP FROM NEW YORK

Eighty members of New York City’s Urban Search and Rescue task force left Brooklyn in a convoy headed to Houston Sunday to aid in storm recovery efforts.

The group included members of New York’s Police and Fire Departments, as well as emergency medical personnel from the city’s Office of Emergency Management. In addition, 40 members of the Fire Department’s Incident Management Team were also deployed.

“After Superstorm Sandy, so many cities stepped up to help our people,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a tweet Sunday morning.

With many emergency responders overwhelmed by requests for help, residents are asking for assistance on social media.

kjzj9W4.png

When it made landfall Harvey had been upgraded to a Category 4 storm so it has caused massive amounts of damage early estimtes are putting it at 2 billion dollars. Major flooding because the storm has stalled out over the area and rain is now being measured in feet not inches.

idQPTYb.jpg

Sadly new photos from today show that this is a flood of biblical proportions looks like tsunami hit the area how can so much water pour from the sky? :dunno:

Experts from FEMA say recovery from such a disaster will take a generation and that hurricane Harvey may turn out the costliest natural disaster in US history far worse than Katrina.

I just heard on the radio that Harvey is the worst storm to hit the Texas coast in 500 years, though how they could know that I can't say.

Sounds like Harvey is just about past now - hope all our members in Houston and other affected places are OK.

BUT Hurricane Irma has formed in the eastern Atlantic and is tracking west - with very high sea temperatures it could be a big one. There's some pretty apocalyptic stuff on the internet, but this guy sounds like he really does know what he's talking about
Basically, it can be tracked fairly reliably to near the Windward Islands in five days time - after that it just too far ahead for reliable prediction, but looks like there's a fairly low probability of it heading into the Gulf and maybe hitting Louisiana or Texas which really don't need it just now, majority of potential storm tracks head towards the US East Coast in 8-10 days, so there's a possibility it's heading for Washington or New York for 9/11.
Hold your hats, guys!

I don't fancy being hit by any sort of natural disaster where I live, and thus I am lucky to be in an area where almost nothing of the kind ever materializes (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Update on Irma - she has now upgraded to a Category 4, that's not looking good. Now expected to track along the north side of the Windward Islands in the next few days, still nothing clear on where she's headed after that.

Irma was upgraded to Cateogry 5 hurricane a few minutes ago things are not looking good for Puerto Rico with reports of panic buying in some areas.

Meanwhile Hurricane Harvey death toll climbs to 60 with 30 people killed in Harris County alone.

g64ZhUa.jpg

Heavy traffic reported in Houston after the city recovers from Hurricane Harvey. Meanwhile evacuations begin in Florida just a few days ahead of Hurricane Irma.

Irma is supposed to be worse than Harvey. So they say, but right now the media is just talking to have something to say. I don't believe they know squat yet.

Back