It’s Illegal To Be Gay in 72 Countries

Deofol

Forum Newcomer
Homosexuality continues to be a crime in 72 countries and territories around the world, even warranting the death sentence in some. According to a report by the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA), same-sex relations can result in a prison sentence up to life in dozens of countries and in eight it can even lead to a death penalty. https://thewire.in/162074/lgbtq-gay-rights/

This serves to show how much social disparity there is in our world. Most western countries have already legalized homosexuality and most allow gay marriage. Most countries that criminalize homosexuality are either theocracies or very poor country where the government has to come up with a pet cause to distract the population from the atrocities the government commits. It is kind of similar to Orwell's 1984 in which the three super powers fought a perpetual war just so the populace would never revolt against the government.

I think it is very interesting to see that countries with the biggest popular opinion against same sex marriages are christian countries. Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia, Bahamas where more than 90 percent of population areagainst same sex marriages and Ucraine 85 percent.

USA has a substantial 34 percent minority against same sex marriages.

We can compare this with most muslim countries where homosexuality is now illegal but population is not so strongly against same sex marriages. Iraq 50 percent against same sex marriage,
KSA 58 percent, Indonesia 69 percent, Malaysia 47 percent compare with Singapore 55 percent!,

In south saharan Africa where same sex marriage traditionally have been accepted, the opinion against same sex marriages are now grooving. I suspect that is because of lutheran christian mission during the last century.

I think it is very interesting to see that countries with the biggest popular opinion against same sex marriages are christian countries. Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia, Bahamas where more than 90 percent of population areagainst same sex marriages and Ucraine 85 percent.
I think this is not because it is Christianity. Rather those countries have higher percent of religious people. The more secular a nation is, the more liberal it tends to be. Look at China. It is not by any mean democratic, but because it is fairly secular, their gay rights situation is much better than in Russia.

Society for all it's boast of progression toward a more inclusive and tolerant community has turn it's head away from truly becoming a more enlightened and advanced world that places maximum value of it full potential of creating a healthier and happier world to live in. I guess this comment runs counter intuitive to material presented on this site. But, it cannot be denied.

It seems as though the US is moving to the left on social issues, but moving to the right on fiscal issues.

This is a remarkable new trend, and I'm not saying that it's bad OR good.

I was talking recently to the teenage son of the couple who run a shop I use regularly. He told me that at his school, in the Religious Education class when they were discussing gay marriage, one person expressed hostility - and the whole class erupted in disagreement, teacher included. That's all but one of probably quite a large class of 15-year-olds in a Catholic-run State school (so mixed backgrounds though probably a majority middle-class given the area it's in) - like he said 'I guess the only thing we're intolerant of is intolerance'.

I wish tolerance was more evident everywhere. As things stand in my neck of the woods, one can't count on people being gay-friendly. The dark days of homosexuality being practiced only in secret still make sense here.

Practice makes perfect :)
It helps that the city council leader (ie cityboss, since like most cities here we don't have a directly-elected mayor) is openly gay, gay-married, and a campaigner against homophobic bullying.

Back