Rare, catastrophic heat will render our server unavailable

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
gaFaYcH.jpg

Europe temperature map for June 30, 2017

A rare and unprecedented heat wave with daily temperatures approaching 45°C (113°F) is forecast for next week in Bulgaria and we expect the power grid to collapse.

We are already having trouble keeping the server running smoothly with blackouts lasting several hours.

To protect the system from heat damage we may have to switch it off entirely.

Forum support will be unavailable next week and access to the website restricted.

We regret this situation but such high temperatues are unheard of in Bulgaria and no one is prepared for such catastrophic heat.

That's bad news - seems like on problem after another for us this month!
And 45C is fearsome, anything over 30C used to be rare here and we've only once reached 100F (38C). We hit 34C down south last week but the heat is over for the time being - like your map shows we're back into cool westerly and northerly winds.

Shocking temps in the UK as well, yeah I heard on the news. Let's hope the forecast is wrong and it doesn't get that hot. I will keep you updated on the situation.

Wow, this is serious weather. I'm glad to have received a heads-up about the site being unavailable next week. This way, when I'm unable to access CDG, I won't have to wonder if it is my stupid computer's fault.

We are shutting down tomorrow until temperatures drop at least a little bit next week.

Glad that hasn't happened yet.
Can we swap weathers? Cold wet and windy here, only 12C outside and I've got the heating on.

Wow, this is serious weather. I'm glad to have received a heads-up about the site being unavailable next week. This way, when I'm unable to access CDG, I won't have to wonder if it is my stupid computer's fault.

[Hijacking one of Meatpie's thread rather than Phyzz's for a change]
Yes, welcome back indeed Milvus milvus, the Red Kite, now spreading back throughout England where it had become extinct due to persecution and pesticide residues, and probably also longing for a bit more warmth and sunshine than we're got at the moment.
The Red Kite is a scavenger of dead things, and thus eminently suitable to reside on CDG - Meatpie, can we have one?
Though sadly the Red Kite is not large enough to consume a whole cdg - unless of course it was divided into kite-size morsels like young Handsome Fit Lad
http://cutedeadguys.net/threads/54077-Handsome-Fit-Lad-Beheaded-And-Quartered
who had himself duodecimalised to make himself into suitable kite food, and even had his head planted too that he might sprout and become a ongoing and renewable source of food to fuel the return of the Red Kite.
Oh what an estimable young man was Handsome Fit Lad, we have much to learn from his example.

with acknowledgements to TripAdvisor.

4th intense heat wave for this summer

w8c5GMP.png

A 4th intense heat wave is expected again in Bulgaria starting this weekend with daily temperatures in excess of
43°C / 109.4 °F

:pass out:

Access restrictions may apply from August 1.

Meatpie, you are right in the center of the furnace! Where I live in the Northeast U.S., we've had temperatures as high as 107, but that was in 1918. A high of 109 is unacceptable for human life anywhere. Even the Bedouins in the desert bitch about that kind of heat.

And here it's cold and wet wet wet, even 20C would feel good.

Deaddirty, have you considered moving to Africa and becoming butt-boy to a Bedouin? You'd enjoy toasty temperatures year round, AND you'd get to sleep in a tent! :D

Back