lynched nude

I'm amazed that I never saw this photo before, but it probably hasn't been widely distributed because of the visible erection. How could those people have stood there staring at something like this? They should have been ashamed of themselves...and embarrassed as hell too. Though I wouldn't have known it to look, the victim must surely be a black man.

This incident occurred in San Jose, California in 1933. Two men, Jack Holmes and Harold Thurman, kidnapped Brooke Hart, a 22 year old young man and son of a local prosperous businessman, and held him for ransom. The FBI led the investigation and they found Brooke's body dumped in San Francisco Bay. He had been murdered almost immediately after his abduction. They caught the two men, jailed them in San Jose but local citizens, who were outraged at this incident, stormed the jail and lynched the two murderers. In response to the above comment, neither of the lynched men were black and this was NOT a racial incident. The entire story is recounted in a book called "Swift Justice".

It is certainly not widely known that white people were being lynched in the 30s in the United States. Thank you, tobor98, for providing all this detail to accompany the photos.

Thanks, barryds, for providing more photos of the event...what a revelation this thread has been!

This incident occurred in San Jose, California in 1933. Two men, Jack Holmes and Harold Thurman, kidnapped Brooke Hart, a 22 year old young man and son of a local prosperous businessman, and held him for ransom. The FBI led the investigation and they found Brooke's body dumped in San Francisco Bay. He had been murdered almost immediately after his abduction. They caught the two men, jailed them in San Jose but local citizens, who were outraged at this incident, stormed the jail and lynched the two murderers. In response to the above comment, neither of the lynched men were black and this was NOT a racial incident. The entire story is recounted in a book called "Swift Justice".

Thank you for the information. It did not look like a racial lynching - seen enough of them but to think this happened within the lifetime of some people still alive is terrible (although there are parts of the world where this sort of thing still happens) I like to think we are past that. Justice requires a trial by peers - unlike in Indonesia, Philippines, and elsewhere.

absolutely amazing - thank you for the photos and the information --- swift justice indeed - i'd love to be executed nude and publicly, although i am sure they did not

Back