Ever thought of learning Portuguese?

Immortal1

Forum Regular
Has anyone of you guys ever thought of starting to learn Portuguese after joining this forum (and maybe even actually succeeded in it) ? Especially seeing how much of the content here is from Brazil and how sometimes even entire topic titles can be in Portuguese, I guess it shouldn't be too hard imagining one would, to understand the background of some murders, for example...

I can get some idea of the content. But there is always Translate - much the easiest solution!

I understand the 75% of Portuguese language

Well, that's not exactly what I meant. It takes more than just knowing common words like "executado" and "jovem" to actually be able to comprehend a full story, that's what I meant, if someone ever started learning Portuguese only to acquire (and share) information about some of the content here, and I don't really believe robot translation can provide as much in-depth information as actually reading the original text. "Lost in Translation" is the term for it.

Or 'England and America are two countries divided by a common language' (widely attributed to Churchill but this wording probably used by George Bernard Shaw -Churchill probably did say something similar but not in these exact words).
I agree with you both points - picking up on a few key words does not give anything like the whole story though it may well give the crucial fact((is) (for me 'is this guy hanged' if it isn't obvious, or 'how did he die' if I've spotted s hot pic and just don't know the story
And digital translation is always pretty imperfect. Between Western European (in origin) languages and English it is normally quite good and the mistakes are normally mentally translatable and often enjoyable - there is a whole genre of Translatish on here. With Asian languages it can be a bit of a struggle to get the sense, and if they are written in non-Western script sometimes the Translatish makes very little sense at all.
By the way, just as there significant differences between English English and US English, there also difference between Portuguese Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese - Metalmachine has given me some useful tips on that.

the mistakes are normally mentally translatable and often enjoyable - there is a whole genre of Translatish on here.

AGREED -- I find Google Translatish to be the source of much good clean fun! :D

You do, because 75% of Spanish IS Portuguese! :D (Or the other way around, idk)

If I were to live in Spain, I probably would've mastered it after 5 years! =D

Not only Spanish. I live in "Galicia". The Galician language is an dialect between Spanish and Portuguese. And Galician is 90% Portuguese

Not only Spanish. I live in "Galicia". The Galician language is an dialect between Spanish and Portuguese. And Galician is 90% Portuguese

Obviously it won't apply to you, but is there any truth in the belief that Spanish people can understand Portuguese but Portuguese cannot understand Spanish? in my limited experience it has seemed to have a bit of truth.
And by the way, I think the name Galicia originates from 'Gall' as in Gaul and Pays de Gall (the French for Wales) because it was once Celtic-speaking. And if that is correct, does the original Galician language survive or if not is anything known about it?

Obviously it won't apply to you, but is there any truth in the belief that Spanish people can understand Portuguese but Portuguese cannot understand Spanish? in my limited experience it has seemed to have a bit of truth.
And by the way, I think the name Galicia originates from 'Gall' as in Gaul and Pays de Gall (the French for Wales) because it was once Celtic-speaking. And if that is correct, does the original Galician language survive or if not is anything known about it?

Spanish and Poruguese has similar words, but very different pronunciation. With Galician is different. Gaician and North Portuguese have similar pronunciations.
I can understand perfectly a north portuguese, but not a south portuguese. In different places of a same country the pronunciation and the accent are variable.
Galicia is a Celtic land. His name comes to celtic speakers "Kaleoki", after, the Romans calls "Gallaecia" ans the name evolutioned after years to "Galicia" or "Galiza"
In Middle Ages, Portuguese and Galician was the same language and both evolution in two different branches.
The language changes years after years and actually still have changes.

A few info in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain)

And like everybody knows, Spanish and Portuguese goes to Latin America
Thats because I cand find lots of stuff who anybody found. Because I understand very well the Latin America languages and I can make more detailed searches.

Thanks Metal, very interesting though I am particularly time-poor at he moment I haven't had a chance to read it properly. It sounds as in neutral linguistic terms Catalan, Spanish/Castilian, Gallician, and Portuguese (deliberately working geographically) form a single cline in which the separation into languages owes more to politics/identity than to the linguistics. And I am guessing that if the politics had been different, the Andalusian dialect might just easily been accepted as a separate language?.
Something rather similar happens within England and between England and Scotland. But not between England and Wales where the issues are very different though just as interesting (to some). Because Welsh and English are very different languages - probably more different than English and the Iberian languages.
And that is the reason for my interest - one side of my family comes from the Welsh border and I now live near the Scottish border, and they are so different.
If I had more time I would add a sample of Welsh and English to illustrate the point. I will if anyone is interested but I can't do it tonight.

And I am guessing that if the politics had been different, the Andalusian dialect might just easily been accepted as a separate language?.

Andalusian is not a dialect. Is not a language. Is Spanish. But they have a different pronunciation and accent, but they write in Spanish.

I'd probably call that a dialect, I'm guessing there's a ew different words which is probably the criterion.

Back