Mississippi enacts law 2 deny service 2 gays

Deathproof

Forum Veteran
What's your thoughts on this law
Should a business or service be forced to provide for an openly gay couple

That depends on what the people of Mississippi thinks. USA is a democracy and the people sets the laws.

Reuters
|
Editions: United States
TOP NEWS
BUSINESS
MARKETS
WORLD
POLITICS
TECHNOLOGY
MONEY
LIFE
PICTURES
VIDEO
BREAKING NEWSX
Victims reported at Lackland Air Force base in San Antonio where active shooter reported
U.S
Tue Apr 5, 2016 | 7:07 PM EDT
Mississippi enacts law that allows denying services to gays

Mississippi, Governor Phil Bryant arrives to attend B.B. King's funeral in Indianola, Mississippi May 30, 2015. REUTERS/Mike Blake
Mississippi, Governor Phil Bryant arrives to attend B.B. King's funeral in Indianola, Mississippi May 30, 2015.
REUTERS/MIKE BLAKE
X
By Letitia Stein

(Reuters) - Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant on Tuesday signed a far-reaching law allowing people with religious objections to deny wedding services to same-sex couples and protecting other actions considered discriminatory by gay rights activists.

The measure also clears the way for employers to cite religion in determining workplace policies on dress code, grooming and bathroom and locker access, drawing criticism from civil rights leaders.

Bryant, a Republican, said in a statement he signed the law "to protect sincerely held religious beliefs and moral convictions of individuals, organizations and private associations from discriminatory action by state government."

Mississippi is the latest state drawing national protest for a law seen as anti-lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT). North Carolina recently barred transgender people from choosing bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.

Tennessee is considering similar legislation related to school bathrooms, and civil rights groups are watching a Missouri measure seen as discriminatory. Last week, the governors of Georgia and Virginia vetoed "religious liberty" bills.

The latest wave of measures, pushed by social conservatives, came after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last year that legalized same-sex marriage.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) criticized the Mississippi law, which is expected to take effect in July.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is a sad day for the state of Mississippi and for the thousands of Mississippians who can now be turned away from businesses, refused marriage licenses, or denied housing, essential services and needed care based on who they are," said Jennifer Riley-Collins, executive director of the ACLU of Mississippi, in a statement.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo responded by banning all non-essential state travel to Mississippi.

"We will continue to reject the politics of division and exclusion. This Mississippi law is a sad, hateful injustice," Cuomo said in a statement.

The ACLU, which is involved in a federal lawsuit challenging the North Carolina law, said it was considering its next steps in Mississippi.

Major U.S. companies have pushed back against such legislation, with the North Carolina law opposed by Apple Inc, Twitter Inc, Alphabet Inc and others.

On Tuesday, PayPal Holdings Inc canceled plans to open a global operations center in Charlotte, North Carolina and invest $3.6 million locally.

In Mississippi, critics included large employers such as Nissan North America and MGM Resorts International.

Still, nearly two-thirds of Mississippi voters supported the law, according to a poll highlighted on Tuesday by the Family Research Council, an influential Christian lobbying group.

(Reporting by Letitia Stein; Editing by David Gregorio and Richard Chang)

X
NEXT IN U.S
Photo
Three years after Boston bombing, film shows distress of attacker's friends
TRENDING STORIES
Bill Clinton confronts protesters who say his crime reforms hurt blacks
U.S. military christens self-driving 'Sea Hunter' warship
Adobe issues emergency update to Flash after ransomware attacks
Trump adviser says Republicans won't have contested convention
Democrat Sanders, 'big fan of pope,' to attend Vatican conference
SPONSORED STORIES
The Next Big Stock
Daily Investor World
New Rule In Indianapolis, IN
Smart Ways To Live
Samsung Users Ignore Smartphone Recall notice!
Daily Tech Today
You're In For A Big Surprise in 2016 If You Own A Home in IN
MorningFinance
Sponsored by Revcontent
SPONSORED CONTENT
Follow Us On Twitter Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On LinkedIn Follow Us On Google+ Follow Us Via RSS
Subscribe to Newsletters | Download our Apps
Feedback | Advertise with Us | Site Index | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Ad Choices
News and Media Division of Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

NYSE and AMEX quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes. Nasdaq delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a complete list of exchanges and delays, please click here.

© 2016 Reuters All Rights Reserved

This is sickening, I know North Carolina already pulled this stunt and now Mississippi is pulling the same stunt. This has been debated in my home state of South Carolina, 50% support it and 50% of it does not, if this passes. Volvo will pull out of SC to build their factory and all sort of economic turmoil will happen. Our state is already broke enough.

I think TN might try it 2
Damm I copy pasted 2 much now can't edit I was driving when I did it

A disgraceful decision. There is no way religious bigots should be allowed to discriminate against anyone on grounds of race, religious or sexuality. It is not a decision for the voters, it is an issue of human rights.
Thank heavens I am a Brit where such discrimination would be illegal.

I've always thought life must have been simpler way back when homosexuality was something practiced only in the utmost secrecy...but maybe not.

Was life simpler when people who fell in love had to keep their love secret because they were subject to professional ruin and loss of Liberty if it was discovered. Remember Oscar Wilde. Or Tchaikovsky forced to commit suicide because of an affair with a minor Royal. Remember those thousands others who also suffered because of their sexual orientation.
I suspect you would hate to turn the clock back, I know I should.

I think TN might try it 2
Damm I copy pasted 2 much now can't edit I was driving when I did it

Do you know what the irony is all of these states are in what is called "The Bible Belt." Those that do not know what it is just google it.

I know Wikipedia is not the most accurate but this link gives you the general idea:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

Hopefully it explains how screwed up things are in the south.

Last edited:
Your link states Mississippi is 75% Baptist religion.Im southern Baptist r we the problem?

The pope has stated that it's wrong to discriminate against a person because of their religion or sexual orientation however he did say that same-sex marriage and homosexuality is wrong so to me it's like he's playing both sides of the fence I don't like this Pope as much as I did the old Pope

I hope by "the old Pope" you don't mean that rascal Benedict.

It's not my team obviously but Francis seems the least illiberal pope since the late lamented John XXIii. John seemed an old man in a hurry and achieved much in his three or so years. Francis, also an old man, seems to want to move forward but is far more concerned with the politics of the church than was John. But he seems a vast improvement on the much admired John Paul II who seemed totally opposed to any movement on birth control, gay rights or divorce.
Religious leaders always seem totally opposed to change and have to be brought kicking and screaming into the modern age. The chief rabbi is no different unfortunately and many Imen are still firmly rooted in medieval times. There are reformers in all religions but they never seem to hold ultimate power.

I am sorry I was trying to point out that most of these laws are coming out of those states were in that area.

Nothing b sorry 4 They do seem b coming from states referd 2 as bible belt.

jbarn25;328203. said:
I am sorry

Mate. Stop apologising so much. Stop always trying to justify yourself all the time. You often make some very perceptive points. Inevitably they may upset some people, sometimes with good reason, sometimes with no reason. But don't apologise for making them. Sure expect to be challenged, even criticised. That will,often happen and is part of the game of posting.
Whatever you do please don't stop posting. If we all agreed with each other the world would be a far more boring place.
Look forward to seeing many more of your posts in the future, hope you enjoy my occasional challenges.they are always in good humour, I hope.
Keep up the good work

Last edited:
That depends on what the people of Mississippi thinks. USA is a democracy and the people sets the laws.
so you would be ok with a state declaring itself a christian theocracy and only the right sort of christians now have rights.

Nothing b sorry 4 They do seem b coming from states referd 2 as bible belt.

You are right Deathproof. My point was that all of these laws are being passed in states that are part of the Bible Belt.

I do not think anyone up north like Maine, Mass, New Hampshire. Would even try to put a bill like this before their state legisture.. Any idiot who proposes a bill like this needs to be removed and replaced ASAP.

How many of you agree?

Last edited:
Back