Scientists detect gravitational waves for the first time in human history

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
nGvUckO.png

Scientists have for the first time found telltale ripples in the fabric of space and time, confirming one of Albert Einstein’s strangest, yet most elegant, predictions.

This discovery, announced a few hours ago, comes 100 years after Einstein first theorized gravitational waves.

Einstein himself actually thought a detection might be beyond the reach of technology.

0NJmXX7.png

In an interview with the BBC Prof Stephen Hawking said one day we may even see relics of the very early Universe during the Big Bang at some of the most extreme energies possible.

Is time travel possible? Will that speed up travel to other planets or systems? Do we have time travelers among us now?

Scientists have for the first time found telltale ripples in the fabric of space and time, confirming one of Albert Einstein’s strangest, yet most elegant, predictions.

This discovery, announced a few hours ago, comes 100 years after Einstein first theorized gravitational waves.

Einstein himself actually thought a detection might be beyond the reach of technology.

Yeah, great news. Space is very strange stuff, that gets a little warped by things with mass. Awesome they've actually measured that now.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=TWqhUANNFXw[/video]

Birdlike chirp? That's what they said.

They are taking advantage of our gullibility my friend.
The joke's on us.

What advantage are they taking? If they'd try to sell anti-gravity-ripple-pills, I'd be with you, but now I don't see the problem.

After hearing a segment about this discovery on the radio, my thought was: Yeah, that's cool, but so what?

I enjoy science, but I don't understand why gravitational waves and black hole ripples matter. What will be done differently now that we know all this?

Yup, Alex. So what?! Because these people are bullshitting us with their make believe world. The stuff they tell us is not based on reality let alone knowledge. Look at the joke of a myriad of space programmes around the world. Black holes colliding, sounds like buttholes colliding. Birdlike chirp, more like chicken fart.

Actually, I like black holes, the way they suck the life out of the universe, and then spit it back out in some other dimension. I'm kind of awe-inspired by that scenario...but the business with the ripples leaves me underwhelmed.

We've been lied to when it comes to the science of space. Pointless to talk about it when the best groundbased telescopes view of the sky is like that of a pixelated Atari game screen. All the pictures that they released for public viewing are images touched up by artists. Look it up and I mean REALLY look it up and make up your opinion. Don't let me nor the people that call themselves the Scientific body tell you what is really out there. We don't want to get duped again, do we?

After hearing a segment about this discovery on the radio, my thought was: Yeah, that's cool, but so what?
I enjoy science, but I don't understand why gravitational waves and black hole ripples matter. What will be done differently now that we know all this?

I've no idea what will be done differently now because of this. But I do know this:

The waves are a direct consequence of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity (GTR), which he published in 1915.
At the time, and for decades since, no one saw any practical application.

However nowadays billions of people are using smartphones with GPS, and GPS is impossible without GTR.

For new fundamental scientific insights, never ask "what use is that"?
There has never been any scientific insight without major social benefits eventually.

I can appreciate the need for scientific research even when an application for the work is not immediately obvious, and I accept that exploration just for the hell of it often leads to unexpected products or services. I am simply not scientific-minded ENOUGH to be excited by gravitational waves. I wish they would find an ET. Now THAT would give me a hard-on.

That's OK, Alex. Nowadays, you can't tell whether people are scientifically inclined or plainly indoctrinated. When eventually ET is disclosed to the public, it will probably be Project Blue Beam. Talk about Scooby Doo.

I wish they would find an ET. Now THAT would give me a hard-on.

There must be millions of planets where life as we know it can have evolved.
Unfortunately (or maybe very fortunately) we will never be able to see what their hard-ons look like, nothing can travel faster than light and that is so damn slow on a cosmic scale! A civilization 400 million light-years away (not all that far) will not even see dinosaurs on Earth yet.

Back