Civil War photos

barryds

Forum Resident
46ccfc1b0be9e7b052ef694723a447a5.jpg

"Dead Confederate soldier in trenches before Petersburg, Virginia, 3rd April 1865 "

cas8.jpg

Dead Confederate soldier near Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia

p1318411366-3.jpg

Dead Confederate Soldier; Fort Mahone, Petersburg, VA; April 1865

The coloured ones have to be paintings. Thank you. War was very different 150 years ago wasn't it?

first color pic man in baby blue socks would love to pull his pants off suck him off slobber all over it put his legs over my shoulders insert into him back n forth while i massage caress kissing licking his baby blue socks on his feet n other freaky stuff with his socks that ill keep to myself lol

The coloured ones have to be paintings. Thank you. ....?

yes..color in these days meant they had to be hand tinted - also many are available as stereo-grams. I LUV these civil war pics - thanks barryds :yes:

I would not have guessed photos from that long ago could be of such high quality. The clarity of detail is remarkable. As always in war, those poor corpses are sons, husbands, dads, brothers...so much sadness.

I would not have guessed photos from that long ago could be of such high quality. The clarity of detail is remarkable.

The Civil War (on-line) Collection available at the US Library of Congress is worth a site visit - glass or gel negatives retain AMAZING detail - they were of course ultra large format!!! compared to our cameras. For those who are interested - they are also available in uncompressed tiff format (usually >100mb).

Some are in stereo - so you can pop them in a viewer - or make a 'wigglegram' to get the depth from the photo (one of barry's posts is wiggling) - all very interesting :yes:

Here is the link to the right place in the US library of Congress.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/cwp/

I appreciate the link to the Library of Congress, Jon. I live in the U.S. and I didn't know about that collection. :( As for the "wiggling" image here, are you referring to box #6? The photo there is vibrating, but I don't see the point of making it do that. Should there be more to it that my lousy computer isn't picking up? You surely do know a great deal about all sorts of IT subjects.

... As for the "wiggling" image here, are you referring to box #6? The photo there is vibrating, but I don't see the point of making it do that.

Ahh interesting point alex....if it is 'wiggling' on your system - it is indeed doing what is intended. The intention is to give you a 'sense' of the depth of the image in 3D as it flips the 2 'views' back and forward (its really just an animated gif) - it is intended as a simple alternative to more complex ways of 'seeing' images in true 3d or stereography - if you don't have access to the equipment.

When these were originally made the double images were placed in a simple viewer with 2 lenses and they 'jumped' into 3D when viewed through the lenses. Even today - if you can view them in this way the quality and sense of depth in these early photos is breathtaking. Unfortunately - these days most of us don't have this simple technology - hence the alternative - but much less satisfying compromises of 'wiggling' between the 2 views. :dunno:

Here is a more modern example of a viewer...

Oh, that's like the View-Master devices we had as kids! They were fun...

tumblr_nwsansukAR1qb169go1_1280.jpg

Back