When is suicide okay?

Subnetizen

Forum Newcomer
My favorite NFL chat board just had a posting asking for help by a member who is depressed and suicidal. There was an outpouring of support, and another board member who was also suicidal spoke up and also got lots of support.

At the same time I find suicide something that can be acceptable, as Brittany Maynard showed in one way. I'm also turned on by the idea of consensual snuff, in fact I think if I had been Brittany my last days would have been pretty wild until one day I'd enjoy my Ultimate Orgasm...

So that chat post got me thinking, when is suicide okay? I won't say "if ever" because Ms. Maynard is proof demonstrating it is, as far as I'm concerned. But I jumped in to help save those posters, why? What made me work against suicide for them even though I regard it as okay sometimes. What defines those sometimes?

One part seems easy. The posts were made looking for help, by guys who did not really want to die, and thus did not truly want to kill themselves. So, at least part is it's not okay if the victim does not really want to die.

OTOH death was inevitable for Brittany Maynard, she just got to choose the time place and manner of her death, to avoid inevitably much less desirable situations. But we all will inevitably die, so why isn't the same control of our choices okay for all of us? Well, maybe it is, or maybe the range of situations might need to be constrained, perhaps with some medical conditions. Or perhaps just age? When the body breaks down and it is painful to be alive, why is it not okay to end it? But how pronounced must the deterioration become? I'm already starting to feel my body show the effects of the years and miles, I've got too much living to look forward to be seriously considering these things, but the day will come...

To be honest with you Suicide is NEVER,NEVER,NEVER ok. If you feel that way everyone on the board can help you get through.

I agree that as a general rule no one should ever consider suicide as a solution to their problems. But that then brings up the issue of assisted dying. Where someone has a terminal diagnosis and is in great pain to the extent that life is a total burden then I can understand them wanting to end it. But there must be safeguards to ensure that they do not choose this a s a life option, if that isn't a contradiction in terms. But, as jbarn said, I have no doubt that most people on this site would do whatever they could to help out fellow members in distresss even if that is just lending a sympathetic ear.

Suicide is never a solution to a problem you can very well overcome without the correct help and support in my opinion. Depression can be supported

That said I would rather choose to end my life early if it meant dying of cancer because I've seen my loved ones dragged through the bitter end coked up on so much morphine they don't even know they exist or can evern control their bowels. I would never allow myself to get to that stage... That's common in this country's backwards ethics that mistake pity/humanity for forcing the the dying to endure the end of their lives.

Last edited:
And our legislators, by defeating Lord Falcalner's Bill to permit assisted dying,have guaranteed that torture such as demon describes can continue

i have a rather poetic answer:

When everyone you have ever loved is finally gone
When everything you have ever wanted is finally done with
When all of your nightmares are for a time obscured
As by a shining brainless beacon
Or a blinding eclipse of the many terrible shapes of this world
When you are calm and joyful
And finally entirely alone
Then in a great new darkness
You will finally execute your special plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZpEFJhO6k

pretty well describes the moment, when suicide is ok.

If you are incurably ill and suffering severely, without hope of recovery or effective palliative care, I think it's OK to resort to euthanasia (I would, and it's legal in the Netherlands under such conditions).

I know I'm out of step with most of the comments here, but so be it. I think suicide is always okay. It's everyone's right, and society should work towards making it easier for the suicidal to accomplish it. I have heard people say that suicide is a selfish act, and I couldn't disagree more. What is selfish is for happy folk to insist, for their own convenience and comfort, that the sad among us hang around and suffer. If you are depressed and want help, go get it. If you're ready to exit, there's the door.

No man is an island. Everyone has friends and/or family who will be affected by his death. Okay, maybe if there is no one likely to be affected I might see the logic in your vieW but there could be friends, estranged family even work colleagues who might blame themselves for what happened. And no, this is not hypothetical. A guy I managed at work some years ago killed himself because he was having problems including, so it turned out, an inability to do his job, something about which I was not aware until after his death. Both I and his team colleagues took some time to come to terms with his suicide despite our company providing us with counselling. No way could we have known what was going on in his mind, any more than the family who had possibly let him down. But his death affected us all both separately and as a team. Without any reason to do so we all blamed ourself for contributing to his death.
So unless the potential suicide has no one who might be affected by his death suicide is a selfish and self indulgent act.
I do draw a distinction between suicide and assisted dying where the alternative is a prolonged and agonised death.

I agree with euthanesia, for the terminally ill and all treatments have failed and the person is in hospice. There, are several and I mean several things you need to take into account if your going to recomened euthanesia for a person. Legal issues,is it legal in your state, ect. BUT I DO NOT AGREE SUICIDE IS OK, AGAIN I DO NOT AGREE SUICIDE IS EVER OK.

PS: Sorry for the caps, I needed to get my point across loud and clear to a few selected people on this thread whos comments are out of line.

Last edited:
I know I'm out of step with most of the comments here, but so be it. I think suicide is always okay. It's everyone's right, and society should work towards making it easier for the suicidal to accomplish it. I have heard people say that suicide is a selfish act, and I couldn't disagree more. What is selfish is for happy folk to insist, for their own convenience and comfort, that the sad among us hang around and suffer. If you are depressed and want help, go get it. If you're ready to exit, there's the door.

duh, that's quite interesting, being the bunch we are i wouldn't expect you'd be all so uptight about the subject. except here for mr. Alex. yes, damn, that's one bold existentialist talking.

I never discuss hanging with someone that seems like they are genuinely suicidal, depressed, just wanting to kill themselves, that kind of thing. I pick up on that and our discussion is over.

Someone like me that really feels like they need to hang some day is a different story. Myself, I feel I need to experience the real thing. Were it possible to be hanged by a real hemp noose to unconsciousness and be safely revived for certain, I'd be satisfied with that and go to great lengths to get it done. But I know a real hanging like that is likely to cause permanent severe injury, once past a certain point, I'd think it would be best to just let it finish. Death is more like an unfortunate consequence of the ultimate thrill but a price I think I'm willing to pay.

I might be full of shit though! In the unlikely event that the perfect opportunity presented itself, a sexy woman being into doing it for me or wanting to see me hang myself for her, I think I would be prepared to go through with it. The closest I ever came, the one time I thought I'd found a serious hangwoman, I certainly thought I intended to really do it. She backed out so that moment of truth never came.

I think I had myself psyched up to do it. Saying fuck all the reasons not to. Friends and famiy and all that would just have to deal with it like they do every day when someone hangs themself for stupid reasons. Mine might be crazy, but 100 years from now, no one would care that I hanged at 50, or died from cancer or something years later. I was going to get it just the way I wanted! It would have been made to look like a simple suicide, so most would never know how it really went down. The lady may have eventually told the tale, but most wouldn't believe her unless she took pics and risked incriminating herself.

In a case like that, totally consensual on all parts, I see no reason to be squeamish about it or no big tragedy. I think that kind of arrangement should be perfectly legal. Maybe some kind of documentation or permit required and screening involved. Mostly to ensure some kid wasn't having himself hanged over losing a girlfriend or something stupid like that. Maybe require it to be filmed and documented to ensure that the person being hanged wasn't backing out at the last minute, the hangman or hangwoman just going ahead and doing it anyway for their own thrill.

You hit the nail on the head like I was saying eariler. About the proper legal forms, lawyer signs off, ect. So no one can challenge that they were forced to sign the document.

dudes, with all that paperwork, you sound so bureaucratic! i'm sure i would have rather killed myself if i'd have to fill in all that!!!

hangedguy, why do genuine suicidal tendencies change the situation for you? i mean, i can kinda intuitively grasp, but can you try to put it into words?
i myself have had both history of depression and suicidal thoughts (no attempts though) AND thrill of the strangling and hanging, and somewhat the same way as you - if i myself or someone else takes me over that edge one day, why not? it is my ultimate wish after all.

thinking about it... what seems important for me is control over it. i think of my death as the ultimate thrill, i am really genuinely interested in the process of dying, what it feels like, the experience. much better to do it of my own will with conscious preparation for the moment, rather than slow and unwilling death of some illness. much less with the feelings of resentment, self-pity, feelings that one does it to punish those that have done them wrong or whatever else bullshit. it's what i mean when i quote the Current 93 text (written by Thomas Ligotti, fyi) "When you are calm and joyful, And finally entirely alone"

Yes, I think I would make a good bureaucrat. I would make certain people suffer that piss me off, by having them fill out paperwork and "ACCIDENTLY" loosing it. I will accidently loose it if they piss me off too many times. Then if they come back to me crying and whining that they could not do this or that, the paper work would no longer be accidently misplaced. :)

Well, since you deal with the depression and haven't done it yet, I suppose that wouldn't really be the reason you'd hang yourself if you actually decided to do it. I can see some catastrophic event that I would certainly be depressed about, triggering my fantasy and making me go ahead and do it. It would be more of a case of finally having a good enough excuse to do what I wanted to do all along anyway. Once I ws spyched up to do it, the depression would be overcome by the thrill of finally getting it done.

dudes, with all that paperwork, you sound so bureaucratic! i'm sure i would have rather killed myself if i'd have to fill in all that!!!

hangedguy, why do genuine suicidal tendencies change the situation for you? i mean, i can kinda intuitively grasp, but can you try to put it into words?
i myself have had both history of depression and suicidal thoughts (no attempts though) AND thrill of the strangling and hanging, and somewhat the same way as you - if i myself or someone else takes me over that edge one day, why not? it is my ultimate wish after all.

thinking about it... what seems important for me is control over it. i think of my death as the ultimate thrill, i am really genuinely interested in the process of dying, what it feels like, the experience. much better to do it of my own will with conscious preparation for the moment, rather than slow and unwilling death of some illness. much less with the feelings of resentment, self-pity, feelings that one does it to punish those that have done them wrong or whatever else bullshit. it's what i mean when i quote the Current 93 text (written by Thomas Ligotti, fyi) "When you are calm and joyful, And finally entirely alone"

If the depression is that severe then you need to check the closest mental health facility and check in as a patient overnight on your own so you can be checked on a trained doctor and make sure your ok.

I know this is an old thread, but how many of you guys think I would make a good bureaucrat? The paperwork comment I was making was too make sure all legal loopholes are covered.

You have all the characteristics of the perfect bureaucrat.

You have all the characteristics of the perfect bureaucrat.

Thank You, If a certain TROLL from the UAE came to get some paperwork straightened out. I would saddle with him with so much useless paperwork and forms and make him run around getting signatures, I think that will kill him from going nuts with all of those forms.

If it was one of you guys on this board who needed to deal with a terminally ill family member, I will fast track the paperwork and make sure it is done myself.

But for others, I want to make them suffer.

Back