Why referendum in Ireland is wrong

tirex

Forum Regular
Ireland to legalize same-sex marriage, as voted on referendum.
http://time.com/3895041/ireland-legalize-gay-marriage/

I find this infuriating. No matter what the result, the very idea of conducting referendums on gay marriage is wrong in my opinion.

Because this means letting others decide, whether I should marry or not. Whether it is the government or the crowd, it doesn't matter. Gay marriage should never be decided on a referendum.

There is a subtext here; The Irish are seriously unshackling themselves from the tight reins of the church

I see your point and agree in principle, Tirex.
But since there is a law in effect there now that doesn't include gay marriage, it needs to be changed, which can only be done by the legislators.
After that, there is a free choice for everyone whether or not to marry anyone else.
This change can be done with or without holding a referendum (it was done in the Netherlands without one years ago).
I don't know why the Irish government decided to have this referendum (in a parliamentary democracy the decisions are formally approved by a representation of the people anyway). But if that clears the way to gay marriage I think it's fine.

I see your point and agree in principle, Tirex.
But since there is a law in effect there now that doesn't include gay marriage, it needs to be changed, which can only be done by the legislators.
After that, there is a free choice for everyone whether or not to marry anyone else.
This change can be done with or without holding a referendum (it was done in the Netherlands without one years ago).

I actually found that legalizing gay marriage in Ireland requires a change in constitution... Maybe that's why they had to conduct a referendum. Let me just hope other nations will try to find another way.

There is a subtext here; The Irish are seriously unshackling themselves from the tight reins of the church

Church should go to hell. My personal point of view. :)

I unshackled myself from any church long time ago. They dicked up my brain Grade School through High School. Took me till my mid 20's to get things straightened out. I was 30 before I even acted on my Sexual orientation. Here in AZ they are trying to pass laws absolving them from Liability when the Bible thumpers fuck with Gay People. It got shot down by the Governor. I rail against any post on FB where the Bible Thumpers want to fuck with Gays in the name of God. I say good for Ireland.

I unshackled myself from any church long time ago. They dicked up my brain Grade School through High School. Took me till my mid 20's to get things straightened out. I was 30 before I even acted on my Sexual orientation. Here in AZ they are trying to pass laws absolving them from Liability when the Bible thumpers fuck with Gay People. It got shot down by the Governor. I rail against any post on FB where the Bible Thumpers want to fuck with Gays in the name of God. I say good for Ireland.
You sure got my vote:winner:

I actually found that legalizing gay marriage in Ireland requires a change in constitution... Maybe that's why they had to conduct a referendum. Let me just hope other nations will try to find another way.

Yes, many have by now: Canada, several states in the USA (as Stustutagoo (Ricky) is fortunate to know!), Mexico(!), South Africa(!!), several states in Europe and South America. It's going in the right direction.

Church should go to hell. My personal point of view. :)

The sooner the better.

:winner:

Yes, many have by now........several states in the USA
37 states and counting! The United States Supreme Court must decide whether states that do not recognize same-sex marriage shall accord marital rights to gays who are married and move to those states where it is not yet legal

The United States Supreme Court must decide whether states that do not recognize same-sex marriage shall accord marital rights to gays who are married and move to those states where it is not yet legal

Exciting, I hope that ultraconservative body will find themselves compelled to rule favorably.

Here's another angle that no one thinks about, besides the fucked-up church one ---
TAXES! Here at least in the U.S. of suppressed A, it's the SINGLE, NON-MARRIED person that pays the highest tax rate - to pay for all those welfare babies!
Now, if they legalize gay marriage, they better change the tax code as well.
Remember - in ANY considerations on this fucked-up planet, it ALWAYS comes down to MONEY - MONEY - MONEY!

It is sad when what is considered a given right has to be fought for by others, but I guess that is the nature of being in a minority. We have to keep fighting until the rights are won.

If the alternative to a referendum is the prohibition to same sex marriage then I am glad the referendum took place.it wouldn't be a bad idea if a similar referendum took place on abortion, it seems hypocritical for Irish women to come to Britain for their terminations with the connivance of the Irish state. However I would never advocate Britain removing this service since it prevents unwanted and seriously disabled children being born. It would be great if this pope could address the issue but I am not holding my breath. And until he does I suspect the hold of the church will prevent necessary reform

Back