Utah executions

Marky

Forum Regular
The news this morning is that the state of Utah has legalised the firing squad as a method of execution. Apparently there is a shortage of the chemicals needed for lethal injection.

If members here were to advise other American States, what methods of execution would they suggest, and why?

I might start by asking what the State saw as the purpose of execution. Is it for economy, to save housing prisoners? Is it for punishment? Is it for deterrence?

Proponents of capital punishment often try to present their methods as 'humane', but a painless glide into oblivion is only really compatible with the first objective. It's not much of a punishment compared with a life of suffering in a hell-hole prison, nor is it, for that reason, much of a deterrent, particularly if the death is behind closed doors, invisible to the public.

So what do people think?

Death sentences have been abolished in the civilized world long ago, the USA still have a long way to go before they can join that community.
The reasons for abolishing murder by the state are long known:
* Deterrence: death sentences do not work as a deterrent.
* Punishment: in a staggeringly high number of cases the condemned was actually innocent of the crime (17 since 1992 in the USA we know from new evidence after the conviction. 17!!).
* Save on B&B for prisomers: the average time between sentence and execution in the USA is now 190 months (over 15 years!!). Hardly efficient to cut housing costs ;-).

As for 'humane' ways to kill: the best is still the guillotine: quick and sure.

It is gruesome to read how they manage to botch up other ways to kill the condemned (electric chairs that fry the victims for minutes, injections they manage to screw up completely (Europe won't sell the ingredients to these idiots any longer, hence the revival of the firing squad), etc.

In short: there is no good reason to have a death penalty, they apply it to the wrong people and can't even do it properly anyway.

I'd like to choose the means of execution myself. Would go for a firing squad of archers.

I think if there is any possibility the man could be innocent then they should get life imprisonment because there's a chance whether you believe it or not. When it's undeniable and it cannot possibly be anyone else... Then yes... FIRE AWAY!

At the present time the death penalty is not reliable and it is not cost effective. The idea of executing criminals excites my fantasies until i see that they are all old... like wtf.. They're gonna pop their clogs soon enough anyway after being on death row for 20-30 years.. If they're 100% undeniably guilty execute them while their young.. Firing squad or lethal injection I dont mind.. I just want a bare muscular smooth chest arching out trying to free themselves..heavy breathing before I the executioner snuffs them out

Capital punishment ended here in the sixties. Pretty fortunate given that people who would have been executed were subsequently found to be innocent of the charges brought.
Fantasy executions are pretty erotic, naked muscular headsman at the block with an axe is my favourite, but fantasy is the operative word. In reality let's keep the guys locked up, it's probably a greater deterrent

I still support death penalty. Criminal definotely can't get out and kill again. THAT is deterrence.

And what do you do when the executed guy is subsequently found not guilty. Or is he to be seen as collateral damage. And yes it can happen. Maybe a compromise is a whole of life sentence although that removes any incentive for the prisoner to sort himself out

Evil is the relevant word. Probably more murders per head of population in USA than Britain despite Britain having abolished the death penalty. Mind you you gun culture may also have something to do with it.

I support the Death Penalty. I think they should bring back public executions. Also along with the choice of his last meal he should decide what to wear to his execution. I can picture bikers going out in full leather and boots.

Back