Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Euphemisms are words we used to substitute for offensive terms.

For example, "idiot" used to be neutral in the past but is now considered offensive.

Connotations change over time and the new word that comes will become offensive in the future.

Now people use more polite words like "mentally challenged", "with an intellectual disability", "learning difficulties" and "special needs".....not to say retarded, which also used to be neutral.

Give your own examples in this thread.

For example in my language, people avoid saying the word "die".

When someone "dies" people say "He rested" which is ridicilous but has now become the norm.

Die sounds crude and even vulgar in Bulgaria!

LoL

:)

Euphemisms are words we used to substitute for offensive terms.

For example, "idiot" used to be neutral in the past but is now considered offensive.

Connotations change over time and the new word that comes will become offensive in the future.

Now people use more polite words like "mentally challenged", "with an intellectual disability", "learning difficulties" and "special needs".....not to say retarded, which also used to be neutral.

Give your own examples in this thread.

For example in my language, people avoid saying the word "die".

When someone "dies" people say "He rested" which is ridicilous but has now become the norm.

Die sounds crude and even vulgar in Bulgaria! :)

Thoughtful post, Pie !

Here in the USA we call it being "politically correct."

I never know what to call persons here with black skin.

First, long ago, the "N" word was used. A real FORBIDDEN word today to use if you are WHITE...yet in the black community, often blacks call each other "you nigger"...or speaking EUBONICS, "you niggah." Go figure !

Actually, the word nigger has its roots in NIGER, which means BLACK in Latin. And as we all now, in Africa to this very day there is a country there called NIGER...where manly of the blacks brought to the USA to be slaves back in the 1700's came from.

So they were "NIGERIANS"...or "niggers" for short. This is how that word came to be, but today, say it anywhere, but particularly in the black community on the wrong street corner there, and hey, be prepared to MEET YOUR MAKER PRONTO !

Then the word became NEGRO (derived from the Latin "niger" but Spanish in origin). Then BLACK. Now, here in the USA, it is "African American"....but BLACK is becoming more popular again.

Quite frankly, I never know WHICH WORD is right to use here...BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN. BUT definitely, don't EVEN UTTER the "N" word...or NEGRO. Or big heap of trouble !!!

In terms of death, not so bad to mention here in the USA. "He died" ... and look at such websites where American soldiers are remembered, like these two examples...and clearly, DIED and KILLED are commonly used, no big fuss at all:

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/4309916.html

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/dates/2009/jun/29/terry--j-lynch/

In politer society in the USA, however, in the more "gentile" class....DIED and KILLED are STILL considered rather crass and show working class to lower class mentalities. So phrases like "he passed away" and "she passed on" or "he is with his Maker" or "she is in a better place" or "our dearly departed" or "the late Mr. So and So " are employed.

In the USA, though it is promoted as this huge, wonderful democracy, it is very socio-economically structured between the "HAVES" and the "HAVE NOTS." The "HAVES" have it all and the "HAVE NOTS" are the little people who the "HAVES" exploit.

YES, a "HAVE NOT" can become a "HAVE" in the USA, but it is not easy, and many get stuck in the middle...the "MIDDLE CLASS" ... because the "HAVES" still have a lot of say who enters their privileged ranks... which are very few.

Last edited:
Thank you Arrow, very informative. I find phrases like "he is with his maker" hilarious and ridicilous.

They may be polite but this is the 21st century after all, time of quantum physics, time of the internets and what not - there is no God!

How can so many in the US believe in God?

This I think is deeply rooted in American culture and passed from generation to generation since the Puritans first stepped foot on North America.

In my country, young people don't believe to God and don't go to church.

At my funeral I don't want a priest but still I believe if I croak before my parents they will invite a priest to sing a song to my dead body.

Its tasteless and hilarious.

When grandpa croaked in 2004 dad invited a priest and gave him money and food so that he would sing a song over the casket.

Terrible.

Is this done in the US? On young people?

Please reply, I am very curious.

Hey PieMan..

YES, at young stud's funerals, even those hot soldierSTUDS killed in TheRaq and TheStan, here in the USA have funerals. Funerals where priests/ministers/rabbis officiate.

Now while many Americans do not hesitate to say "he died" or "he got killed"...nearly ALL Americans will say "he is with his Maker now" or "he is in such a better place" or "he is at home again in Eternal Glory where we will meet him, too, when that day arrives."

These kinds of phrases and thoughts are said all the time by Americans.

Now Chicago has become the most deadly city for young males in the entire USA, all the result of tough inner-city gang-bangers. These guys will shoot you down in a heartbeat just for the fun of it. No one knows what to do and President Obama is sending emissaries here to try to figure this all out.

YET EVEN HERE in Chicago, at the funerals of these young males shot down due to gang warfare, you should see the elaborate religious ceremonies, headed up by priests or pastors, who bless the "dearly departed" who is now "in a place of glory where pain no longer is, only peace and life forever."

Ninety-two percent of Americans believe that there is a God...so this explains all of this.

It is quite remarkable how a stud can be such a "mean mother-FXXXer" one day and just a few days after being shot down and killed can be an "angel" already "in Heaven" with "his Maker" in "harmony and joy everlasting."

This is really the way it is here.

In newspaper obituaries drug overdoses or suicides are never mentioned. Instead the euphemism "passed away unexpectedly" is used.

I think the word "midget" used to be used for the new term "little people" but now it is not politically correct to say midget or dwarf. I'm not sure about dwarf though.

Now Chicago has become the most deadly city for young males in the entire USA, all the result of tough inner-city gang-bangers.

Is it mostly blacks who end up in a morgue or white guys get killed also?

So in a way a street in New York is safer than in Chicago?

Depends on what neighbourhood you are in in New York. It also has it's ugly parts!

MMM, really? But nothing like Sofia, right?

:pppttt4:

Any pics?

I think verlup knows them better then i do :)

Sofia does has it's charms..but they really need to do some redecorating!!

Charms? What charms? How cum I didn't notice? :stink:

The old buildings were very appealing to me...

(I like architecture..)

Pie...

I hear that Sofia really is a beautiful place with many historic, grand buildings and exquisite countryside !

:D:D:D:D

Nature is beautiful in Bulgaria but the economy is very bad.

I mean really bad, worse than the worst ghetto in Chicagoland.

Oh, I so pray every day that President Obama lifts visa restrictions on people from Bulgaria so that I can at least visit your country and see what life is like behing the iron curtain.

Hey Pie !

YES, is blacks who are killing blacks in Chicago !

Just a few days ago, a young black mother standing on the street corner during the day time was shot dead for now reason !

Every day, much shooting in Chicago...on the troubled neighborhoods of the South Side.

But beginning to spill over into affluent yuppie professional neighborhoods on Chicago's trendy North Side in areas such as Lincoln Park.

So now all are up in arms about what to do .... even President Obama sent special emmissaries from Washington D C a few days ago to discuss gang violence with Major Dayley of Chicago.

It is a big mess....young black males, drop outs from school mostly ages 18 to 35 , say they like GANGS because can make lots of $$$$, have lots of WOMEN, drive fancy cars and live "the good life" without really working hard. Downside is that they are at risk of being killed by other gang bangers, but they don't care ... one black gangbanger on news last night says "worth the risks for wine, women and song."

Terrible problem in Chicago, murders all the time...but mostly BLACK on BLACK crimes....and Latino gang violence, too.

The police are outnumbered...get this:
CHICAGO HAS now over 100,000 GANG-BANGERS !! MORE than ANY OTHER city in the USA !

Very tough time, these gang-bangers are as tough as tough can be, and they will shoot you dead in a HEART-BEAT if you venture into their "turf."

It is like BAGHDAD in parts of Chicago, guns being FIRED a lot, people being killed....it is really bad, and THIS is supposed to be a nation built where the "RULE OF LAW" rules !

Really bad news...but downtown Chicago and the north side of Chicago are still really fine and mostly nice....lots of tourists, great cultural events, fine restaurants, The Sears Tower (second tallest bldg in the World), world-class museums and orchestra, art and culture...parks, shopping, all kinds of beautiful sights right here on Lake Michigan. Great sporting events, too...like "Da Bears !"

JUST don't wander SOUTH of the downtown in Chicago or WEST too far...or you will end up in NO MAN'S LAND in a matter of MINUTES !

Anyone want to know about Chicago, give me a holler. It is still one of the greatest cities in the World, and one of the most beautiful, knownas the "Paris of the USA" for all the beautiful architecture and lights on the bldgs at night ... really a sight to see ! After all, Chicago IS the birthplace of the MODERN SKYSCRAPER !!!

Also, gardens and flowers everywhere...the city's motto is "A city in a Garden."

It is still .... "my kinda Town ! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emxh6qVJ914

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_65yXT05bo&feature=PlayList&p=A4E1368BEEBD2DE4&index=0

Last edited:

It is like BAGHDAD in parts of Chicago

Maybe the local authorities and even the US government can help this pour souls through education, sport events?

Why are so many choosing gansgter lifestyle? No jobs? Is it tough for blacks to find decent jobs, lets say as a lawyer in downtown Chicago? :sm (20):

There are so many things I don't understand about your country.

Maybe the local authorities and even the US government can help this pour souls through education, sport events?

Why are so many choosing gansgter lifestyle? No jobs? Is it tough for blacks to find decent jobs, lets say as a lawyer in downtown Chicago? :sm (20):

There are so many things I don't understand about your country.

Hey PieMan ...

The gangster lifestyle or as the black gang-bangers call it "bein' a GANSTA" is seen by many poorly educated young black males from poor, broken homes as the ONLY means to earn a living in Chicago and inner cities like it...but also in the larger Metro areas of such cities.

These young males have FALLEN through the CRACKS of EDUCATION, FAMILY UPBRINGING, MORAL AUTHORITY...many are born out of wedlock, NO fathers in the home, lots of brothers and sisters, a single mother trying to raise six, eight, ten kids ON PUBLIC WELFARE.....often, the mothers are doing drugs and engaged in prostitution, too.

ALSO, there is still an element of RACISM involved by White America...who still fear young black males...and it is true that for every FIVE black males you see here, at least two to three are involved with the CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM in some way.

It is a culture of HOPELESSNESS, DESPAIR and ANGER at White America for often "neglecting" their plight...so to get even, such inner city young males will try to compete in other ways for prestige, money, women, fancy cars...through trafficking in illegal street drugs.

Different gangs form for different areas of neighborhoods...and they become very TRIBAL and competitive. Hence, you do not sell drugs in "my part of the HOOD"...or you will "get bought ! "

The spiral of violence escalates....with over 100,000 GANG-BANGERS in Chicago, the Police are OUT-NUMBERED five to one !

The idea is to try to bring EDUCATION, economic resources and opportunities into these troubled neighborhoods to offer young black males ALTERNATIVES to gang membership and violence.

But this is a LIFE-STYLE...their DADDIES and "bros" all engaged in gang violence, so it is really hard to change...ingrained deep.

The USA has the LARGEST PRISON POPULATION in the WORLD ... 95% of those in prison here have commited murder, rape, selling illicit drugs...as part of gangs.

There are FAR MORE young black males in the PRISON YARD and the GRAVE YARD than in the UNIVERSITY yard here in Chicago and the USA.

Many feel that rather than LOCK young people up into a life of further despair and hardening, we should try to help them overcome the socio-economic struggles that being poorly educated and mostly BROKE in an aflluent, highly sophisciated society as the USA creates for them.

This all takes time, and not all agree.

Meanwhile, the killing continues on many of the mean streets of inner-city Chicago and spills out into the suburbs such as mine as well.

The only hope is to influence young males whlile still in grade school to choose different paths...those in their mid to late teens and early twenties..many experts have said it is too late to change them, and that they are a "lost generation" to violence, drugs and the graveyard.

There are FAR MORE young black males in the PRISON YARD and the GRAVE YARD than in the UNIVERSITY yard here in Chicago and the USA.

I'll tell ya what, in my opinion the root of this evil is the economy. When the economy goes bad, more and more people turn to gangsta lifestyle out of sheer desperation.

But the figures you give are stunning. It was like that in New York in the 1970 - crime and murdered ruled this city but the local authorities manged to bring this under control, maybe Chicaco can learn from New York?

Also you talk about gangsters, small fish to put it bluntly, but those who pull the strings must be the reall mafia bosses right?

Are there mafia bosses in Chicago? Something like the one big Chicago mafioso like Al?

In my country, there are small fish gangsters who mainly sell drugs and are pimps but the real money go to the big mafia bosses and politicans.

For example the mafia in Sofia is very powerful and they try to control other cities but the local gangsters will defend their turf which leads to bloodshed.

In Sofia, there is one young guy stabbed or shot dead every fucking day 99% below the age of 30.

Some drug dealers are as young as 16. They showed them on TV last night.

Economic crisis brings crime and mayhem.

All guys killed here are white. We don't have a single black person, Enty can confirm.

I'll tell ya what, in my opinion the root of this evil is the economy. When the economy goes bad, more and more people turn to gangsta lifestyle out of sheer desperation.

But the figures you give are stunning. It was like that in New York in the 1970 - crime and murdered ruled this city but the local authorities manged to bring this under control, maybe Chicaco can learn from New York?

Also you talk about gangsters, small fish to put it bluntly, but those who pull the strings must be the reall mafia bosses right?

Are there mafia bosses in Chicago? Something like the one big Chicago mafioso like Al?

In my country, there are small fish gangsters who mainly sell drugs and are pimps but the real money go to the big mafia bosses and politicans.

For example the mafia in Sofia is very powerful and they try to control other cities but the local gangsters will defend their turf which leads to bloodshed.

In Sofia, there is one young guy stabbed or shot dead every fucking day 99% below the age of 30.

Some drug dealers are as young as 16. They showed them on TV last night.

Economic crisis brings crime and mayhem.

All guys killed here are white. We don't have a single black person, Enty can confirm.

Ahhh, most distressful to hear this, Pie.

Well, many of these "gangtas" here in Chicagoland are "small fish"...but rather than the Mafia running them, these gangs have become so sophisticated that they have their OWN elite leadership running them...some have management degrees, some are attorneys to defend them....it is like the MAFIA families of earlier times, but now are BLACK and HISPANIC....no ties to the historic Italian Mob.

Yet they have patterned themselves AFTER the Mafia here in Chicago...from the "small fish" to the "DONS".....in the Leadership...and many are really SMART and BRIGHT.

There are really TWO major gang familes, and all the gangs fall under them.
It is The Folks vs The People. Here is a link to better understand the complexity of it all here...and it is very complex.

AND YES, there STILL remains in Chicago THE MAFIA as well. But they are very sophisticated these days....into restaurants, the building trades, labor union control, have control over certain politicians, police leaders and Judges of the Circuit Court.

Quite frankly, when you look at the REAL Chicago...between the minority gang-bangers as seen in the link below, The Folks vs The People...then you add in THE MAFIA still here...Chicago is by far the most corrupt city in the USA.

And THE MOST VIOLENT...but it always has been this way, all the way back to the 1930's and "Al Capone" and cronies !

http://www.chicagogangs.org/

Last edited:
Back