How to Tie a Hangman's Noose

badtom

Bad Tom
Elite Member
Some folks might not know how to tie a classic hangman's noose.

Here's an extremely short lesson on how. It's easy. No boring videos required!

You can tie a noose with almost any kind of rope. I prefer 1/2" hemp or a good nylon-poly rope personally. Some folks prefer 3/4" or even larger. What you want is something reasonably soft and easy to handle, but also without much stretchiness. 6 - 10 feet is enough to tie a noose, and leave enough for attachment.

If your gallows is large, etc., you will need to add appropriate length.

hangmans_noose.jpg

Simply follow the diagram, steps 1-4. You will need to get a feel for how much rope you want to have in the free loop below, and in the section which is doubled back in steps 1 and 2, so that the coils will naturally fill the space when you tighten them down.

I usually hold the doubled back section in one hand, and make the coils with the other, tightening them as I work up the knot. In step 3, insert the loose end of the coil through the loop formed by the doubled-back loop at the top, and pull the free loop at the bottom down to tighten. Again, work with the rope to get a feel for doing it.

When the noose is formed, one side of the loop can be loosened, and one cannot. This distinction is vital to remember.

For safety, the running end (which can be loosened) should be worn so that it tightens under the chin, rather than so that it tightens towards the back of the neck. Wearing it the second way greatly increases the risks.

And yes, I know, that can be very exciting. Understand what you are doing. Knowledge is power.

And there is nothing at all to stop you from using rope suitable for tying up say, a cock, instead of a neck.
If that's what you want to do...

Back