Je suis Charlie??????

PiercedChest

Transfixed Torso Thirster
I sympathize with all people wanting to express a feeling of abhorrence over terrorism, and pro freedom of speech etc (yes I really really really do!).
However, I doubt very very much whether any of my sympathisants on these matters would really have the guts to say "OK, i have this funny cartoon of Mohammed, which my muslim fellow-men (and women) would find offensive, but who cares, I'll publish it anyway, and I'm not afraid of any counter actions (whether or not stupid, misguided and far more criminal than the original triggering cartoon).

Actually, I very much doubt that, and I salute the brave men and women of the real Charlie Hebdo, with their absolutely magnificent responce of a cartoon of Mohammed himself saying "Je suis Charlie", which is sublime!

So I'm afraid I don't buy the many gratuit expressions of 'Je suis Charlie", and I know with a pain in the heart that I would not have the guts to do it. The editors of the real Charlie Hebdo were really riddled because of their moralistic stand, and they have earned my maximum respect, sympathy and moral approval, but not my active participation (I know, I'm a coward, but no fool.)

What do you think about this?

I think you have made a valid point, and one that is often true in life. People like to talk big, but they rarely have the courage to ACT big unless they are part of a mob. I know I frequently make statements I would never back up if there were the least personal danger involved. Guerilla warfare is probably closer to human nature than singular acts of individual bravery.

Back