Brazil and the World Cup

New Yorker

Forum Regular
Washington DC (Georgetown) and New York City (UES)
This is a video that is going viral in Brazil and it exemplifies how Brazil is having a very difficult time dealing with violence. You can't really see much but the victim was executed in broad daylight with three shots to the head in a place called Belford Roxo in Rio de Janeiro.

apparently the victim was a burglar who was causing some problems for pedestrians and for some of the businesses around the area. This is hence an example of vigilante justice where the population takes justice in their own hands due to the police's inability to deal with the country's high criminality rate.

It's kind of sad and terrifying when society devolves to this sort of thing. The World Cup and the Olympics will be in Brazil and I think things will get very ugly.

I am from Brazil but I have lived in the US for so long that every time I go to Brazil I feel like a foreigner. People from all over the world, particularly developed countries, will be flocking to Brazil and they will be easy pray for criminals. Walking down Avenida Paulista which is the busiest street in Sao Paulo is definitely bot the same experience as walking down New York's Park Avenue or Paris' Champs-Élysées.

If anyone here decides to go and wants to come back in one piece I suggest you take precautions so nothing bad happens to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHsP36xAmHw

Back