Kiev Riots

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Daily protests are taking place in Ukraine against president Viktor Yanukovych after he vetoed a pact for closer ties with EU.

Thousands set up blockades in Kiev's central square including Cabinet HQ and main bank and at least 3,000 slept on streets last night. So far no one has died but many fear the protest will escalate into nationwide uprising. What do you think will happen in Ukraine in the coming weeks?

article-2516473-19C28A6300000578-698_964x633.jpg

A petrol bomb explodes in front of police during clashes with pro-European Ukrainian demonstrators near the presidential administration office in Kiev

article-2516473-19C4900B00000578-924_964x663.jpg

Protesters try to break through police lines near the presidential administration building using a bulldozer

article-2516473-19C22A9E00000578-178_964x642.jpg

Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets of Kiev as opposition leaders declared there was a revolution

Putin calls the tune and the Ukrainian leaders dance Will be a cold winter if the Russians cut off the gas Bring back the Princess Leia lookalike :)

Putin calls the tune and the Ukrainian leaders dance Will be a cold winter if the Russians cut off the gas Bring back the Princess Leia lookalike :)

Yulia Tymoshenko I assume?

Gas cutting off? Highly likely. Russia has been accused of doing that before. To Georgia I believe.

It is in Ukraine best interest to join the EU if they want to remain independant, as in my opinion it is only a matter of time before Russia starts to claim back its former USSR territories.

Last edited:
It is in Ukraine best interest to join the EU if they want to remain independant, as in my opinion it is only a matter of time before Russia starts to claim back its former USSR territories.

Agreed, but it's for the Ukrainian people to decide. My impression is hat the majority probably do want to bond with EU rather thn Russia - but split down the middle, weatern Ukraine looks west and eastern Ukraine looks to Russia?
What do our Ukrainian members think?

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-putin-riots-foreign-602/

A interesting article I found.

Who is behind the protest movement?
Is always one of the first questions in my mind when they are huge protest like this.

Putin said that? hmmm, reading between the lines, interesting intelligence report he has got, I wonder how he got that? If there is any truth to this article that is.

Phalanx Formation vs Molotov Cocktials and Protestors

Recommend they partake in regular drills/marches to maintain Phalanx formation and discipline.

By Fav Ukraine Demnstrator tactics So Far

1) Serenade the Riot Police

2) Sex & Food

3) The I am An Old Man/Lady Routine

4) My New Favourtie Demonstration Trick I Have Picked Up

The formation is the old Roman testudo - worked then, works now - just no spears to advance with or Gladius drawn

The formation of eastern and western separist states is a likely outcome at this point. Either that, or Ukrainian politics are going to provide "ukrainification" laws against the russian-speaking citizens (which is a high percentage in Ukraine), and quite frankly, I lean towards the Russia, because we are simply not ready for the EU integration, neither our mentality, nor culture, nor people.

The formation of eastern and western separist states is a likely outcome at this point. Either that, or Ukrainian politics are going to provide "ukrainification" laws against the russian-speaking citizens (which is a high percentage in Ukraine), and quite frankly, I lean towards the Russia, because we are simply not ready for the EU integration, neither our mentality, nor culture, nor people.

I actually thought it would be Odessa that broke away first, there is now a slight possibility that Ukraine will break into 3 parts? East, West and Odessa.

I do not think that Russia therefore Putin will relinquish Ukraine that easily and the West will not allow Russia to gobble up Ukraine that easily.

Obama is right when he says that the current situation is not a repeat of the Cold War tensions due to technically speaking the Cold War is a by product of history that has been playing out for hundreds of years (which involves multiple players); therefore I can see past Obamas PR spin and attempt to play down this situation and do not really take these statements of his seriously and in fact am taking the situation very seriously instead as the consequences of what happens next is very important; I refer you to the history books....

Last edited:
Back