Biophilia vs Necrophilia

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Erich Fromm is my favourite psychoanalyst and philosopher.

He has interesting views on necrophilia and sexual perversions.

Freedom is a basic concept in his work. By freedom he doesn't mean "state of no war" or "not being a prisoner".

Fromm believes freedom is an important aspect of human nature.

Humans have a choice to either embrace or escape their freedom. He says that embracing our freedom of will is the healthy way to go, whereas escaping freedom through the use of escape mechanisms was the root of psychological conflicts, including necrophilia.

The escape mechanisms that Fromm outlined are automaton conformity, authoritarianism, and destructiveness.

• Automaton conformity is changing one's ideal self to what is perceived as the preferred type of personality of society, losing one's true self. The use of automaton conformity displaces the burden of choice from the self to society.

• Authoritarianism is allowing oneself to be controlled by another. This removes the freedom of choice almost entirely by submitting that freedom to someone else.

• Destructiveness is any process which attempts to eliminate others or the world as a whole to escape freedom. Fromm said that "the destruction of the world is the last, almost desperate attempt to save myself from being crushed by it"
Fromm says that there is only one "productive" way forward for a human being - active solidarity and communication with other not but the ties mentioned abvove but as a free and independent individual.

He has many other interesting ideas but I don't want to go into too much detail.

If you want you can read his work or watch interviews with him on YouTube if you don't feel like reading.

Basically he explains sexual fetishes as an individual's loss of freedom than fits different cases into the above categories.

Masochism and sadism are an extreme version of authoritarianism, he says.

Both feel compelled to play their separate roles, so that even the sadist, with all his apparent power over the masochist, is not free to choose his actions.

Necrophilia is a very special case in Erich Fromm's work. It fits the destructiveness group.

"Necrophiles - the lovers of death. They have the passionate attraction to all that is dead, decayed, putrid, sickly; it is the passion to transform that which is alive into something unalive; to destroy for the sake of destruction; the exclusive interest in all that is purely mechanical. It is the passion "to tear apart living structures," he says.

I think this is exactly Little Boy Rot's case.

So basically Eric seperates people in two large groups with subdivisoins.

Biophales vs Necrophiles
Biophales are productive while necrophiles are destructive.

What do you think? Do you consider yourself a bio or a necro or somewhere in between?

He has other interesting views including why some people become biophales while others are develop in to extremely destructive necrophiles but I stop here; we shall cover the causes of necrophilia later on.

I'd heard of eric Fromm, but never read his ideas. Very interesting, but I'm struggling to relate to them. I don't thin most of us are necrophiles in his classificatioon - so far as I can tell, most of us are fundamentally good consructive people, even with a necro urge - that doesn't seem t fit with his theory.

The very fact that you like to see dead bodies and young guys who shit their pants as they died makes you a hardcore necrophile.

Its your problem that you refuse to accept it and think of yourself as normal.

You are not!

Interesting. I have read about Fromm's idea, but never really thought about reading his work. I am somewhat partial to Jung's idea/ideology.

I always thought this fascination to be an ultimate form of domination. Most people into S&M do not cross the border, but some obviously do. While I do see something destructive in the process of desecration, the main thing that would give me the pleasure is that I have a total control over this great hot dude/squid and I will be the last one. I do not have to necessarily engage in destruction/desecration, and I guess that would be even hotter in some cases.

What is a biophale?
You never explained that.

Biophale is self-explanatory - exactly the opposite of necro. A person who has a love for life, not wanting to kill and destroy like you.

My opinion is that most people tend of these things as cases of conformism. You are either it, or you are not.

I think there any "blends", depending on how you feel, how the other peple relate to you and how the world relates to you.

Even the most selfish, destructive person can do something constructive, depending on the situation.

Although Fromm has categorized it, I also believe there the so called shades of grey, and that is also where people belong. Walking from one pillar to the other.

At least, that is my opinion and is free for debate.

I disagree.

Mood swings and the day-to-day decisions may be positive and productive, but deep down as Fromm says you have a destructive personality.

You lust for kill, for dead bodies etc.

Its similar to Freud's death instinct - he says everyone has it built into themselves and nothing can change it.

I used to read Freud in school and he used to be my favourite but now I have discovered Fromm I like his ideas better.

True.

But I also have a feeling for love and companionship.
Hardly destructive :D, but it can become.

Freud also said: "A cigar is just a cigar"

But that is how I view it, there are no absolutes.

Even convicted hardened murderers can create things of beauty, show remorse and guilt. Or even turn away from the path of killings and go out and are reborn as new individuals. It all depends on guidance, your own inner psyche and how the world reacts to you.

You are a necrophile Entilzha, you love dead things. That doesn't mean you are a bad person and that you are unable to experience love it just means that according to this classification you belong to the group of necrophiles and not the group of biophales.

I disagree, with some of it.
Some people {hopefully me one day}
Can find the truely postive in adoration of the dead.

You fit his description perfectly Rottie.

The very fact that you like to see dead bodies and young guys who shit their pants as they died makes you a hardcore necrophile.

Its your problem that you refuse to accept it and think of yourself as normal.

You are not!

Never said I was normal!
But this stuff about everyone being fundamentally necrophile or biophile makes no sense to me - I'm necrophile in some ways, biophile in others, and I reckon that goes for most people (here, and in daily life).
I'm with Entilzha on this one.

Back