Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
At the heart of Syria's ongoing civil war is one of the oldest religious divide in history - that between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

The USA supports the rebels which are Sunni and Russia supplies weapons to the regime which is Alawite, which is a sub branch of a Shia.

If you want to understand why this war has turned out so catastrophic with so many dead check out this BBC documentary called "A History of Syria".

Meat Pie,

Thank you for the this awesome find,

Will post my review on it in about 2 hours approx (juggling online poker tournament at the same time)

OK, would love to hear you views.

Syria has become a proxy battle ground for Sunni dominated states in the region and Shiites ones particularly Iran. The Saudis and the ? want to see a Sunni dominated Damascus, the Saudis have been supporting anti-assad group or
many years. Behind that of course you have the United States and most western countries supporting Saudi Arabia and revolutionary forces
to overthrow the Assad regime and in the end they see this as a weakening of Iran and a blow to Iranian influence on the region.
The great forces of Syrian history are fueling the bitter war
East vs west, Sunni vs Alawite, secularism vs religion, democracy vs authoritarianism.
The threats running through this conflict means there is no simple solution.
All Syrians are now asking what the future holds for their country.
The great fair today is that Syria will break up, fragment, will be divided.

Sums the Syrian situation very well.
I would say it is not Syrian history that is fueling the whole, it is the whole Sunni Vs Shiite and the history of the middle east that is fueling the conflict.
If Assad was removed from power it will send Syria into another a second cycle of civil war consisting of Sunni VS Shiite, Sunni VS Sunni, Shiite vs Shiite, which will drag other middle eastern countries in.

This is why I am currently in support of Assad remaining in power and a workable solution implemented.

The domino effects are wide and far reaching.

One must understand the history if the middle east to understand these domino effect.

These range from when the Ottaman Empire broke up and the western creation of certain middle eastern state and how they have affected the middle east, the creation of Israel and the displacements of the Palestinians, the Lebanese civil war, Israel, Gaza strip, West Bank, Hamas, Hezbollah, Jordan/Trans-Jordan, the Iran revolution of 1979, the history of Islam/Muslim in fighting, The Crusades, Muslim Brotherhood, Russia and the Afghanistan and etc.

(You can search these keywords and wikipedia at your own leisure)

I am at a lost why some western governments would risk these scenarios.

I agree there is are no easy solutions.

Only way out is a full blown conflict sometime in the future between the middle eastern countries.

Some Sunnis and Shiites want to make their religion the dominant global religion.

No thank you, that is what I say to it.

Assad in my opinion is not really holding into power, but doing what he can to protect his people, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and crossing my fingers at the same time.

Militant elements in the rebels camps, I strongly suspect of shit stirring as nasty tactics to get a foothold on Syria.

No thank you, is what I say to this also.

Last edited:
This is a excellent documentary for people who want to understand on a basic level what all the fighting in Syria and middle east is about as it condenses the problem into this documentary very well.

This documentary is only a brief glimpse into it and for those for want to know more I suggest you research the following areas

These range from when the Ottaman Empire broke up and the western creation of certain middle eastern state and how they have affected the middle east, the creation of Israel and the displacements of the Palestinians, the Lebanese civil war, Israel, Gaza strip, West Bank, Hamas, Hezbollah, Jordan/Trans-Jordan, the Iran revolution of 1979, the history of Islam/Muslim in fighting, The Crusades, Muslim Brotherhood, Russia and the Afghanistan and etc.

Wow man, interesting things you said there especially the part defending the Assads. So you accept the use of chemical weapons against children as necessary means for Bashar to stay in control?

Bashar is Alawite btw so not all Shia are supporting him.

Wow man, interesting things you said there especially the part defending the Assads. So you accept the use of chemical weapons against children as necessary means for Bashar to stay in control?

Bashar is Alawite btw so not all Shia are supporting him.

He could have handled the situation better and not used the chemical weapons.
We do not know all the facts on why he used the chemical weapons.
Was he trying to flush out the rebels and the dead civilians were collateral damage?
How desperate was he in order to use these chemical weapons?
Does the means justify the needs?

I am not defending Assad.
I am just saying for the time being it is best to let him remain in power until a workable solutions can be implemented eg, a transitional government for Syria, I do admit this will cause collateral civilian damages.

Risk a few lives now to save more lifes in the future and years of instability in the region?:peace:

Last edited:
I think he was hoping to end the stalemate and win decisively....and potentially he could have if those chemical attack videos weren't first posted on the internet and then shown on BBC.

I think he was hoping to end the stalemate and win decisively....and potentially he could have if those chemical attack videos weren't first posted on the internet and then shown on BBC.

Totally agree.

I foresaw the use of biological weapons years back, in the near future their is a possibility it will become more wide spread like mustard gas during WWI.

As far as Chemical weapons go, the west cannot prove Assad even used them and admits there is a possibility albeit smaller that they do have access to such chemical weapons. Given that until they were seen eating each other, the world wanted to arm these rebels I believe that they were given such weapons in secret by the west.

Islam is a severely demented and toic religion. All religions have their pasts but Islam's isn't just a past. It's the present and continuing future and that needs to be addressed and not brushed under the carpet.

Between the 17 and 1800s Muslims committed their own holocaust on the Hindu population. It is a fact of history the Muslim lovers would pretend never happened that they continuously massacred hundreds of millions of Indians until they shunted the entire population to half. They call this a complete genocide. Which is why my deepest symathies and support goes to Israel. Israel is the heart of not only Judaism but Christianity also and it infuriates me that Christians sit there calling it Muslim land.. They believe land can't be "owned" when it's their syrians that are refugees and the world should be borderless.. Pity that changes when it suits them.

I believe Palestine is the way it is today because Muslims aided Nazi Hitler in their next attempt at a complete genocide of the entire Jewish religion and race out of the same hatred they had for the Hindus.. People don't hate Muslims because they are fascist/Racist.. They hate Muslims because they know what the religion is responsible for and the fact it has always got away with it and then later portrayed as the victims of it. Not the aggressor as it actually was.

It also infuriates me how people say "Muslims killing Muslims".. Such a simple, uneducated and misleading answer. People judge that religion based on the values they have in a completely different religion themselves. I saw on a British channel that an Ahmadi Muslim was killed in the street.. The page on facebook had nothing more than a wall of hatred against him by Sunni Muslims finding it an insult that he was referred to as a "Muslim"

Sunni islam is vile. The reason why ISIS is largely uncontested by the arab world is because the majority are Sunni just like ISIS WHO'S targets have all been connected to Shia Islam

Back