El Nino

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
El Nino is an atmospheric and oceanic phenomena in the tropical Pacific Ocean occuring roughly every three to eight years.

According to NOAA, El Niño conditions have been in place in the equatorial Pacific Ocean since June 2009. Therefore the 2009/2010 season is expected to be an El Niño year.

El Nino wreaks havoc with the weather all around the world.

The monsoon may fail in India, storms hit California, while drought conditions prevail in Australia.

El Nino even affects Antarctica where penguins fail to reproduce because there is not enough food, mainly fish which can't survive in the warm surface waters the El Nino brings.

Also, scientists expect a solar maximum to occur in the next few years and combined with El Nino the next few years may turn out extremely hot in some parts of the world.

I know its hard to grasp the full scale of this phenomenon but just think back to 2007.

This was a weak El Nino year.

I remember that the winter was very warm in Bulgaria and we didn't have any snow!

Its just insane how changes in the Pacific affect the whole world.

We have people from California who might tell us more about El Nino affects in their part of the world.

When there is El Nino California gets battered by storms.

Dicuss, give your accounts on past El Ninos and make predictoins for the 2009/2010 season.

We will then updated the threads as events take place.

El Nino also has an effect on the Atlantic Hurricane Season resulting in decreased activity.

I am not sure what to believe any more when it comes to weather. I read the solar activity was the weakest, judging by the number of black spots. Some even hypothesized that we may be heading toward the mini ice age. It has been unusually cool here although today was like 92F.

I wish last winter had been warm here. It was depressingly cold and long. Summer has also been unusually cool and very wet. I don't mind a cool summer but a long winter is terrible.

I hate winter too.

I don't know what to think about the climate, some say we will burn in the next few years other as you useless pointed out claim we may be in for a mini ice age.

The sun is indeed at whats called the solar minimum part of its cycle meaning no spots and decreased activity.

Also no coronal mass ejections which really are tremendeous outbutsts of energy and heat that strike and heat up the Earth.

Nothing like that in the past few years.

We are experiencing more Wet Summers, with more intensive rainshowers, thunderstorms and hailstrikes.

Also summers tend to more wet, with very warm days followed by very humid days and then a drop in temperature to a more low point, then it starts all over again...

The weather here is strange, last year we had snow and ice for a first in 5 years!!!!

So snow is rare in the Netherlands? We have snow every winter, but 2007 was crazy - 20'C in Janaury with thunderstorms.

Snow used to come, but the last time I had a real snowy weather, was when i was 10.
(20 years ago)

Now it has returned...

Really strange weather these days...

I don't. Hope we live and see, it would be another lame ordinary day on planet earh, babies are born, young studs die, car wrecks, wat natural disasters etc.

As we say in Bulgaria "Nothing new under the sun".

Back