Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Hi all,

I just wanted to inform you about some changes we are making here and the reasoning behind them.

It costs quite a lot of money to keep us online, perhaps a lot more than some of you might think.

The website is entirely supported by its members - through donations which unfortunately are no longer enough to cover our increasing expenses.

We launched another donation campaign which was planned to be finished by mid-August but later we realized we would lose a lot of members if we stay closed for that long so we are open again for all members and guests.

In just a few days our inbox was flooded with hatemail.

Happens everytime when we block accounts.

But we also got good advice from owners of other websites and decided that we will no longer raise money by blocking user accounts.

From now on, access to the board is free but those who want to belong to the Forum Elite usergroup will have to donate a small amount every month so that we can keep the site running.

When CDG was first started, we aimed to remain free for all.

But as more and more people joined it, we ran out of bandwith and disk space until the server crashed.

We upgraded to a faster but more expensive server.

Our biggest problem is lurkers - they eat up bandwith without contributing anything to the community.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. You can reply here or PM me. I will reply to as many as I can.

cheers

Sounds like a good solution to me. we need to stay reliable and online to keep members, and that keeps us open to new guys while raising enough to keep the site going.

:)

I have a suggestion
----------------------------------------------

To find lurkers, seek out those who lurk by looking at the member list and see how many post users have. If they contribute with money/books/pics.
If they don't ban them...or send them a message saying a donation of some sort is needed for them to come back.
I am working on things to contribute more {Donation/Books/Pics etc}
I also suggest um, appointing someone to take care of that kind of stuff
-wink wink- =D

um?

Thanks for your help Rottie, you rawk and have great potential.

At least 20 euros to join. Most users who join the Secret Room become addicted lol

What does this mean from PayPal? "This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

It means you are bumping all threads that are not relevant anymore.

I am new here and yes I guess I am a lurker and probably always will be. If you want to ban me from your site then I guess I dont really blame you how ever some (such as myself) do not have much of a choice but to belurkers as there is neither enough time in a day between work and personal appts etc. as well as finances to be able to contribute much.I work all day have ADHD depression anxiety and ocd however I find it extremely diffacult to even post and or reply comments when after an extremely long day the only thing I want to do is to sit down and surf/read/watch but when 1 ha to worry about having to write or pay or spend what little extra time on other sites rather than being able to visit favorites such as CDG makes a boring and even more depressing end of day.

Dear Meatpie, I will be happy to contribute a monthly amount, just let me know how much and how to get the funds to you. This forum deserves the support of every member. Lincoln

Hi Meatpie, thank you for letting me know about the changes. I'm sorry I can't be more of a contributor but I've enjoyed being a member for the short time I've been here and grateful for the new friends I've made thanks to your site. For a long time I thought I was the only one like me and now I know I'm not alone. Thank you.

I have contributed to this site and have received the password to the secret room. Where do I put the password? I signed in with the new password, it didn't work, so I had to use my old password.

Back