Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
In a new study published yesterday in the Quarterly Review of Biology, researchers from the U.S. National Institute of Mathematical and Biological Synthesis suggest homosexuality has an epigenetic link, not a genetic one.

Epigenetics explains how gene expression is regulated by temporary switches, called epi-marks. These constitute an extra layer of information attached to our genes' backbones that determine their effect on our development.
While genes hold the instructions, epi-marks direct how those instructions are carried out – when, where and how much a gene is expressed during development.

Necrophilia could also be passed down from your parents but it's still largely a riddle, no definitive answers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2246991/Why-people-gay-New-study-claims-trait-passed-mothers-sons-fathers-daughters.htm

Thanks for the info. Though, I do not need any scientific reason for it. I can perfectly well explain it to myself. To me it makes sense to be a necrophile. There have to be people in this world who care and look after the dead. Most people could not take it, but as the necrophile is attracted to the body and wants to be as close as possible to it, he or she will happily do all kinds of jobs associated with the dead.

That sounded like you work in a morgue.

Do you really?

Interesting article, and good they consider the circumstances of the developing foetus and present a plausible mechanism for homosexuality (and I wouldn't be surprised if mental gender identity would fit in as well). No argument for their claim that these epigenetic causes enhance the (evolutionary) fitness of the parents - although they do harm that of the offspring - is given in this summary, so I hope the original article is available online.

I wonder whether necrophilia (or other fetishes) would need a biological mechanism like this to be 'explained'. I don't think so, but I think sexual preference for males or females does.

I've gone through several scientific studies on sexuality, fetishes and kinks, and I still come back to the mix of genetics and environment. I don't buy into any out and out deterministic theory. There are so many things at play in our development as people that the end product is a twisted mix.

I do believe that people are born with certain prepositions that lead them down particular paths. The study above is one of the better ones, but of course they leave enough wiggle room for different outcomes.

I've gone through several scientific studies on sexuality, fetishes and kinks, and I still come back to the mix of genetics and environment. I don't buy into any out and out deterministic theory. There are so many things at play in our development as people that the end product is a twisted mix.

I do believe that people are born with certain prepositions that lead them down particular paths. The study above is one of the better ones, but of course they leave enough wiggle room for different outcomes.

The thing is about my "fetishes" is that they were so obvious to me at a really early age. I can remembering sniffing my feet when I was 4, I can even remember the cousin's feet that I was looking at when I felt my pecker get hard. I can even remember humping my bed thinking about his feet and other boys' feet. By age 5 I can remember seeing a beheading scene on TV and thinking how cool it was, wondering if my brothers thought it was cool too. Of course they thought it was "cool" but I somehow knew it wasn't cool in the same way I did...getting a boner and thinking about their heads chopped off. So I don't think it's environmental...fetishes are so unique. I think they must be genetic...with some wild gene that triggers each fetish(s) which might explain executioner vs victim; leather, piss, ass...etc. It will be great when they figure it out...and how we can detect everyone elses' pervy turnons!

I agree with Waikiki that I have had my fetish for feet all my life for as long as I could remember...I remember being in pre-school having to sleep (nap) in the corner by myself because I was attracted to the feet of the people in my class...

as far as I could remember I always like feet and had a fetish for them!

The thing is about my "fetishes" is that they were so obvious to me at a really early age. I can remembering sniffing my feet when I was 4, I can even remember the cousin's feet that I was looking at when I felt my pecker get hard. [...] So I don't think it's environmental...fetishes are so unique. I think they must be genetic...with some wild gene that triggers each fetish(s) which might explain executioner vs victim; leather, piss, ass...etc.

I agree with Waikiki that I have had my fetish for feet all my life for as long as I could remember...[...] as far as I could remember I always like feet and had a fetish for them!

Yeah I too remember getting erections from my fetish before I even knew what they were 'for'. So these things can be a personal property from a very early age on. That's why 'environmental' in this context means 'concerning conditions in the womb for the developing foetus'. The reason I don't think fetishes have a genetic component is because there are so very many! You can't have a specific gene for each one. So I expect something like non-genetic individual specific variations in the developing brain (something like 'cross-wiring') leading to our fetish sexual pleasure triggers. But of course no one knows yet.

Last edited:
I wonder whether necrophilia (or other fetishes) would need a biological mechanism like this to be 'explained'. I don't think so, but I think sexual preference for males or females does.

No, you do not have to explain it. Some people do, some do not. That's all.

I agree that necrophilia can be a fetish.

But in my case it is not. It is a preference. I prefer a dead partner to a living.

leather jackets and leather jeans made me gay, no doubt about that at all.

I suspect scientific papers on homosexuality are not as thoroughly reviewed before publication. At least once I saw a paper saying homosexuality can be healed, I digged deeper and found the author is a dedicated christian advocating creation theory... I downloaded the original paper in Quarterly Review of Biology and will review it by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know what I think, if you want. The journal's impact factor is around 7, which means the study probably WAS thoroughly reviewed.

Btw, I am talking like this because I am a graduate student in biomedical science, so sometimes I can show excessively smart freaks their place :)

At least once I saw a paper saying homosexuality can be healed, I digged deeper and found the author is a dedicated christian advocating creation theory... I downloaded the original paper in Quarterly Review of Biology and will review it by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know what I think, if you want. The journal's impact factor is around 7, which means the study probably WAS thoroughly reviewed.

Don't bother to review papers advocating creation theory, your time and effort is better spent on worthier causes.

U know i find it very interesting that u say necro can b passed down from parents. I was adopted but i know i recieved bipolar n schizo, as well as addiction problems from my mother. I dont know anything about her personel life and absolutely nuthing about my father. But i recently found out that my lil bro is into necrophilia too, so id say theyre definately on to sumthing! I think better understanding of wat they refer to as a "sexual disorder" cud help alot of ppl

As a pre-teen I already had the ragdoll fantasies. They made me feel "tingly". So either I always had them, or they formed in kindergarten and grade school.

Interesting. Two of my gay friends are gay and their identical twin is hetero. Even though I lved a hetero life and got married, I look back now and relaize as an elementary school kid, my best friend and I were interested in the boys and not sports (Grade 3) and after losing touch with him for 30 years after University, we came out to each other at our first contact via phone. Also. my best friend in grad school and I came out to each other 40 years after grad school. Those events convinced me I was always gay but suppressed it.

I don't think anyone in my family would openly admit to a corpse fetish, but it would be interesting if it were somehow related to genetics. I've never really thought about comparing fetishes to homosexuality though. You can ignore and stifle fetishes, but homosexuality isn't just a fetish.

I know no one in the genetic ancestry who would be gay or have the fetish I have. I know my parents never acknowldeged that any of their parents or uncles were gay (I do have suspicion about one who visited us when I was about 6 as he was called a black sheep (cousin of my father). BUT, there was no indication while he was visiting that he might be gay.

Back