The actual drowning is silent, quick and relatively painless as lack of oxygen will quickly render you unconscious and chemical and pressure changes in the lungs make the heart stop.

Brain cells start to die and in five to six minutes you are brain dead.

The thing is though, I know how much it sucks when something you are drinking goes down the wrong pipe. I can't imagine how bad that would feel in a full on drowning. Although from what I understand, many drownings the throat closes off and little liquid will enter the lungs.

I imagine the actual 'hurt' of drowing is more in the struggle, psychologically and physically, for air. Once you 'let' the water in I can't imagine it would hurt much at all unless the water was really hot or cold....

When I was a child I almost drowned, I fell in to the water and I know that initially I struggled quite a bit but the last thing I remember was sinking lower in the water and feeling very peaceful, my eyes were open and I could still see and take everything in, somebody jumped in and took me out and that was when I became unconscious, of the entire incident the most clear memory of it was when I was sinking in the water feeling very peaceful

I've often wondered how it would feel to drown. I think it would be the ultimate drowning to be held down underwater, looking into my killer's eyes as I struggle, then die....

I've always thought it would be a horrible death and I would dread it if I was on the Titanic or some other situation where I knew I was going to drown. I'd breath as fast and deep as I could to drown and lose consciousness as swift as possible, just like I'd breath as fast and deep as I could if I was sentenced to the gas chamber (if they still use it in the USA anymore). It's wild how we all have different preferences! I'd be terrified of drowning, but I'd be so hard and boned going to the guillotine or chopping block. Even hanging might get me hard. To each his own!

Last edited:
I to am into drowning and have near drowned many times. It hurts the water hurts in the bronchial tubes and your chest muscles try to force out and back in repeatedly this hurts to. My chest is red when I am finished. Also when trapped underwater my brain will make me desperately struggle the brain olso will be overcome with fear.

Back