Warm and sunny, low 20s C - no complaints at all!

And blessed peace and quiet on the Brexit front, since Chief Nurse Theresa sent all the Asylum staff home to calm down since they were much madder than the patients. On a quiet night you can just hear the Monster Raving Loony Brexit werewolves howling at the Moon - it was the Pink Moon on Thursday so that will have driven them apoplectic so with a bit of luck there will be fewer of them when the home leave is over tomorrow. If I can't get to sleep I try to distinguish the howls:
Jacob Rees-Mogg (the MP for the 18th Century) has a howl like the creak of an antique and slightly distressed staircase in a stately home - specifically the tread which the family and its equally stately and distressed retainers know to avoid, since it is designed to precipitate the unwary guest into a pit of vipers beneath the mansion;
Boris Johnson (the MP for Boris Johnson) howls complete piffle (which is actually his middle name!);
Christopher Chope (the MP for Up Skirting, formerly known as Christchurch) has a howl like an upper-class yahoo who has just been told that date-rape is now a crime rather than an accomplishment.
It was the Queen's 93rd birthday yesterday, so of course they fired a 42-gun salute today (don't ask - this is the Asylum after all!). I assume John Bercow (the Speaker of the House of Commons) gave her an extra-special prezzie, since he will be petitioning her for the unprecedented secondment of WaspSwatter Royal to the Houses of Parliament to deal with Andrea Loathsome who is nesting under the Government front bench and keeps trying to sting him. As for the rest of the raving bunch of werewolves and undead, if they get beyond all bearing he can deal with them himself by the traditional Speaker's ultimate sanction - to have them dragged to the dispatch box (so that's how it got its name) and impaled on Black Rod.
Oh, and Theresa May is on a walking holiday in Wales so everyone is wondering what seriously bad idea she will come back with this time (last time it was a general election to wipe out the Labour Party, which succeeded in wiping out her own majority and making Corbyn look electable). But we are assured by a senior Cabinet minister (unnamed) that there is very little risk, as it's years since she came up any idea at all.

But the Moon is rising, and I must go ...

God, is it over a year since anyone posted in this thread?
Yesterday Britain recorded its third-highest temperature ever - 37.8C, just on 100F. That was in a one-day heatwave, after two months of cool and wet - if that hot air had been over hot dry ground at the end of a longer heatwave, what temperature would it have reached - 40C?
Back to cool and damp today :(

Second hottest July on record - only 1/100th of a degree less than the hottest.

God, is it over a year since anyone posted in this thread?
Yesterday Britain recorded its third-highest temperature ever - 37.8C, just on 100F. That was in a one-day heatwave, after two months of cool and wet - if that hot air had been over hot dry ground at the end of a longer heatwave, what temperature would it have reached - 40C?
Back to cool and damp today :(

That's incredible heat and unusual that far North. :whoaaah:

It's very hot here as well yesterday it was 40°C/ 104°F.

Second hottest July on record - only 1/100th of a degree less than the hottest.

Is that for the US as a whole, or just your State?

That's incredible heat and unusual that far North. :whoaaah:

It's very hot here as well yesterday it was 40°C/ 104°F.

We've never got that hot - yet! Our all-time record is 38.7C (101.7F), in July last year.

extreme-heat-middleast.jpg-nggid0518490-ngg0dyn-700x700x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Extremely dangerous excessive heatwaves have developed across parts of the desert Southwest United States and the Middle East. Many areas are experiencing deadly heat. California and Arizona are experiencing 115-120F (= 46-48 °C), Death Valley even up to 125F (or +53 °C). Parts of Iraq, Iran, and Kuwait are approaching the all-time records, reaching up to +53 °C (= 127F) these days!

Ouch, that's close to the limits for human survival.

It's nice a chilly here. I love when it's cold.

It's a f**king bitch here. Over 100 hours below freezing; consecutive days of record lows of low and high daily temps: low temps below 10F; long repeated power outages; impassable roads; water pipe breakages; even some food shortages. Windpower (25% of source) had frozen blades BECAUSE the power companies were TOO CHEAP to winterize them. Texas can't handle this kind of weather - too far south. Our chicken shit US senator Cruz (n) went to Cancun. Now we know how much republicans (i.e. Trump supporters (n) ) care about ordinary people.

Back