Yeah, hurricane season on its way..NOAA predicts at least six major hurricanes reaching the US.

EXTREME HEAT

hot_sun.jpg

Today is 40'C (104 F)

:retard:

I don't feel well, I have a triple headache. We don't have air-conditioning.

SMOKE FROM FOREST FIRES IN RUSSIA REACHES BULGARIA

The whole of Eastern Europe is under a thin veil of smoke.

Not as thick as in Moscow but still visible.

Temperatures every day reach 40'C and hospitals are overwehelmed with patients suffering froms stroke and heart failure.

Young people have died esp in the mountains in various accidents, tourists die every day in the mountains here from stroke and heart attacks.

Terrible news man, 40 is just too damn hot...whats going on over there?...changed weather pattern or just a fluke or just from all the fires?
Hope you are staying cool Meatpie, wouldn't want anything to happen to you!

Just check NASA's site. Their satellites show a global anomally in weather patterns - some regions are ten degrees hotter than average this summer, while others are colder than normal.

All continents are affected, North America also experienced a recored heatwave earlier this year.

You can find more information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Northern_Hemisphere_summer_heat_wave

Today is 52 degrees at 7:56 am. Nice morning to step out on the deck of our house before all the siblings are awake and up, I like the peace and quiet in the mornings.

Any pics are welcome. Here it's been pouring with rain all day.

COLD

autumn.jpg

Gone are the long warm summer days, the weather turned sharply - mornings are chilly, still no frost though.

I cover with two blankets to keep warm at night. I don't have a partner, my toes are cold and I am lonely and depressed.

Cold and windy

We had our first frost last night.

fal08_frost_on_grass.jpg

The weather here has been considerably drier than usual. The temperature swing is desert like. It's forty degrees in the morning and up in the eighties by evening. The relative humidity is as low as twenty percent when it warms up. The dry spell has lasted a few weeks now and what showers we have had are short lived and have little effect. This has been an asset for farmers harvesting grain because the ground is as hard as concrete making fields easily accessible. No getting stuck in wet ground this year. Now, some farmers are complaining that its too dry. While dry grain is desirable for the best price per ton, there maximum profit is obtained by harvesting at the moisture level demanded by the grain buyers and no less.

Normally, the desired moisture level in corn is sixteen percent. This season, its down to as low as twelve percent. That may not seem significant to most people. But, for a farmer, it means less weight per bushel of harvested grain which means less profit per acre/hectare. It adds up when considering the thousands of bushels of corn a farmer might sell during harvest.

The dry weather has also "sparked" another problem. Carelessness by people living near farms and even by those driving past are causing field fires. The grain plants are dead and dry just before harvest which makes them somewhat flammable. During harvest the plant waste is shredded and spread about by the combine which makes it burn like shredded newspaper. Carelessness when burning trash and cooking outside have been causing a number of fires in the area. But, a carelessly discarded cigarette, a hot muffler, even sparks from a passing train can start one. Hundreds of acres of chaff can be set ablaze and the fire sometimes finds its way to homes and other buildings. Lately, the area fire departments have been running all over the place extinguishing fires. The rural fire departments have small brush fire trucks with foam pumps that can respond quickly. One firefighter can operate them.

It may rain today. But, probably not enough to make any difference.

Thank you for this interesting post Snerdy. The weather has been erratic in the US this year. Have you heard any long-term forecast for your area?

All major forecasters here say Europe is going to be hit by major winter storms with lots of snow and low temperatures based on the NAO index which this year is strongly negative (-NAO).

Well. It happened Saturday. We have had a drought for weeks now which has left the field stubble crispy and flammability. Despite all of the warnings, someone decide to burn some leaves. Even common sense should have prevented it. A field caught fire near where I live. Worse yet, it was windy because of an incoming cold front. The fire burnt many acres which leaves to ground unprotected during the winter. There will probably be clouds of dirt blowing around until we get a good cover of snow.

A number of fire departments responded. They worked for hours to stop the burn. It was heading for the village at a surprisingly rapid rate. A local farmer finally came in with his soil conditioner and plowed a fire break which seem to help. It was fortunate they got it under control. Had it started down the railroad embankment, it could go many miles through the weeds and right into the fertilizer plant where there are lots of chemicals.

It supposed to rain Saturday evening. But, what little there was wasn't even enough to dampen the soil. It may rain tomorrow. Or not.

Has this year been drier than usual? Do you get snow in November in your area?

I've never seen a year like 2010 - we keep breaking temperature records every month.

Temperatures here are abnormally high for November - 27C (80.6 F)

I am afraid the world is getting so warm now seasons that we are used to will no longer make sense.

We are below normal levels of precipitation for the year. But, the average is a little misleading. We had a large amount of rain early in the spring versus this much drier than normal fall. The world weather has been a little warmer the last couple of years. But, our Farmers Almanac predicts the whats to come based on weather cycles. There have been previous times when the weather was like this and previous cycles of unusually cool weather.

You are not old enough to remember previous periods of extreme temperatures. There was a time many years ago when farmers were growing citrus crops in the state of Georgia. There were also times when it snowed in June. The were global crop failures during what was referred to as the year without a Summer. That was the year of the potato famine in Ireland.

According to the Farmers Almanac, we are supposed to have a much wetter than normal December. I just hope it doesn't all come as snow. We do seem to be approaching a temperature extreme because of low sun spot activity. But, it should swing back in a few years. Who knows????? I have seen no snow yet this season, not even a flurry, which is unusual. We sometimes have snow in October.

I have read about the events you describe and I am afraid they are very different. Large volcanic eruptions can cause a global cooling but it willl pass in a few years while global warming is pushing the system into a positive feedback loop.

Lightning

lightning567.jpg

Lightning storms here and torrential downpour.

Temperatures are abnormally high, 20'C.

Trees are blossoming, flowers are blooming in our garden like it's spring.

:very very sad:

Back