leonardo1970

Forum Newcomer
I've read in a website that there were, Saturday 8 October 2011, one hanging in the prison of Isfahan (central Iran) and four other prisoners were punished with amputation of the limbs, according to Sharia law. These prisoners were sentenced for many cases of robbery.
Article 201 of the Iranian Islamic Penal Code says: “The Hadd for theft, for the person’s first offence, is cutting off the four fingers of the right hand leaving the thumb and palm of the hand. The Hadd for the person’s second offence is cutting off the left foot leaving the fingers of the foot to the ankle intact. The Hadd for the third offence is the thief shall be sentenced to prison for life. And, the Hadd for the fourth offence, when the person commits theft in prison, is death by hanging”.

What is your thought on these punishments? There are no photos?

I have seen men missing limbs when serving in Muslim countries, never talked to them so can't know if they were guilty or not. It might be a deterrent, but many of the people are desperate and you never know if the punishments are politically motivated rather than for real crime. I agree with death for serial criminals, it is the only way to stop them - hanging or firing squad.

In Saudi Arabia they behead with a sword for capital offences, they amputate hands surgically nowadays cos they are such a caring, sharing sort. I've been to public executions in Jeddah and Riyadh. In Riyadh, the fact that I was a westerner, they ushered me to the front for a grandstand view. In defence of the practices, crime rate is low there so it must act as a deterrent of sorts. Our soft as marshmallow Injustice Secretary, Kenneth Clarke, doesn't evern believe in prison for offenders! Says prison doesn't work and yet crime rates have fallen in all those areas where people were locked up for rioting in the summer!

My thoughts exactly. Functionally speaking, easier to lose a cock than an arm or leg...although it might be more frustrating long run.

I'd be surprised if it's never been done. Can see public cock removals via guillotine as a punishment variant.

In Saudi Arabia they behead with a sword for capital offences, they amputate hands surgically nowadays cos they are such a caring, sharing sort. I've been to public executions in Jeddah and Riyadh. In Riyadh, the fact that I was a westerner, they ushered me to the front for a grandstand view. In defence of the practices, crime rate is low there so it must act as a deterrent of sorts. Our soft as marshmallow Injustice Secretary, Kenneth Clarke, doesn't evern believe in prison for offenders! Says prison doesn't work and yet crime rates have fallen in all those areas where people were locked up for rioting in the summer!

Singapore has severe punishment for a number of offences and it is one of the cleanest, best cities in the world to visit. Flowers and trees, orderly people on the sidewalks and car drivers obey traffic laws. I am not saying that would work everywhere (Detroit, for instance) because there is more economic equality in Singapore. Part of the problem in many US cities is the huge discrepancy between rich and poor.

Yes the crime rate may be down over there but they have few freedoms as compared to America.

Again, referring to Singapore - I found it quite a free city for going places - while being gay is supposedly a crime, there are several gay bars if one knows where to look.

In Saudi they lop off heads for dissent. Or being gay.
In fact according to this morning's paper the juveniles sentenced to death for confessions made under torture are likely to be meeting their executioner very soon. And after he has chopped off their heads the dead bodies will be crucified post mortem.
I think I'd prefer a little street crime than see fellow creaturess subject to such treatment

I have met people who have watched executions in Saudi but also know a professor who witnessed an electric chair execution. Executing someone for being gay or having minor drugs seems to be immoral but how does one deal with serial killers? I have mixed feelings there. I recognize, it is not for humans to judge. I also know some have been executed when they were innocent but it also seems when the evidence of serial killings is overwhelming there needs to be protection against that person ever committing the crime again, even while in prison.

Back