Is it ok to help someone end their life if they are in tremendous pain or sick?

• Yes

Votes: 56 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters

NecroHeadfucker

Forum Resident
Elite Member
So I went through the nursing home the other day and saw sights that made me so sad. There were people who were being kept alive and were in horrible pain. I didn't understand why they didn't just pull the plugs on their machines that kept them alive.

Is it ok to kill someone if they: 1. - Want to die. 2. - Are in horrible pain. 3. - They will NEVER recover or be normal again.

Killing may not be the right word for what you describe, phrases like assisted suicide are now frequently used although there are others who still insisit it's murder.

Very difficult topic to discuss.

"Horrible pain" is something that can be managed with drugs even if the prognosis is bad people can still have a peaceful death.

I am FOR euthanasia because it is true that in some cases being alive becomes a torture for the person affected, their family and even medical staff.

Euthanasia. Better word. Thanks.

This has been abused throughout history. The Nazi's used it to kill off retards and cripples, and that was the foundation for gas chambers and mass murder.

But in some cases, it's the right thing to do. Look at the Terri Schaivo case in the USA.

Those who are capable of deciding should be allowed the choice death with dignity. Weather they are in pain or not shouldn't be as relevant has the right to decide for one's self.

Why are you so obsessed with the Nazis?

If they have made it clear they want to die, euthanasia should absolutely be allowed. Think it's hypocritical to say a person should be allowed freedom over their own body during life, but not the freedom to choose how long they want to keep that body going. Choosing how and when to die seems like a basic human right to me.

Don't know about other countries, but in the USA you can fill out "advance directive" forms legally stating the circumstances under which you would or wouldn't want life support and what measures you do or don't want taken to save you or keep you alive.

Why are you so obsessed with the Nazis?

I find the Holocaust and those behind it interesting for some reason. The Holocaust joke was in poor taste, and I shouldn't have posted it, but I've found the Holocaust interesting to study.

i personally couldnt push the pill or give the injection, but i might be able to hold the hand and give the hug.

I won't kill a person who i think is terminally ill, but if a terminal ill person (by doctor's definition), has instructed in his/her will earlier, and he/she unable to do so. If I believing everyone has the right to live but not die...does it made me Hippocratic?

If you were terminally like me or watched your mom go from a happy grandmother to a husk of a human being in a matter of 10 years,
who wants to lie in a bed unable to simply say scratch my back or im in pain watching everything going on around you..yet you cant do anything but wait..for death to come...
how could you look into their eyes an say she looks great...lets go yall an let her rest???????????
im sorry i was raised with proper mannors BEAT into me.""respect"" i still have scars &...mental scars...
If you ran over your dog the vet tells you there is nothing he can do...will you let ""HIM"" who cant tell you the pain is so bad..lie there till he dies from his wounds,
a human being that allows anything bird cat snake mom? to suffer...in my book oughta be shot!
i feel this way JUST on MY MOM not others i dont know,all i can hope is
i dident pull the trigger on my mom,but yes i told her id be fine..
every case is different..sorry yall dont know me or the bond i had with my parents..the last kid of 5.
my dad had cancer,chemo was offered as an extra 6 mnths maby more...
he simply came home an passed 11 months later..me an my mom tended him..
we are old fashioned no nursing home,family keeps family...
please dont hate me nor try to pic your loved one in a place my folks were in...
Enjoy your life..an be at peace as i am..
every case is diferent..
may you never have to live through watching your parents wither away before your eyes..thanks Le'roy

This was a struggle in my family as my mother was very ill and had a lot of pain for a long time. We did actually make the decision at one point to have the doctor administer morphine so she could die comfortably. But the morphine actually just killed the pain and allowed her to recover... morphine is actually a life saver!

She died just two weeks ago, peacefully, in her sleep when her heart stopped. It was the most peaceful, painless death one can hope for.

Because of my personal experience, I strongly support assisted suicide and euthanasia.... but only when the patient is of sound mind and has had chances to change their mind. For example, when my mom nearly died and the morphine saved her... she changed her orders so that they would revive her. Apparently coming that close to the edge gave her a new perspective... that life can be worth living even in tragic circumstances.

Those here thinking of suicide or dying: Don't make the decision lightly. And please get some help if it's because you just don't think you can face life anymore. Even if it's from people like us on this website. Chances are, we're all here for different reasons.. many of them not necessarily positive. But that means we can relate and help. Misery loves company. Never choose to die alone.

Agree very much with northguy!
I've seen friends suicidal because of life problems (not helped in at least one case by the side-effects of medications meant to help - beware the mood-swings in the first few weeks of many antidepressants!), then sort thngs out and go on to live enjoyable and worthwhile lives.
I've also been waited for operations with a real risk of waking up totally paralysed, and still have the possiibilty of major disability in future. If that does happen (it's absolutely not my present situation) I know that there is a point where I would want to end it quickly and in a way of my own choosing - and if it ever does come to that I would much prefer to hae someone with me rather than die alone.

I am so sorry you have to even........ its killing me to say this go to that place in your mind
I cant type the emotion i fell for you and wordscant express it either..

heck id fly to be by your side if i could..you are so right folks ought not die alone...

i wish you peace hope an warm fuzzy dreams Le'roy

I think it's common decency to help but countries need to have show sympathy and let people make their own choices about their own lives.. I find forcing a human being live a life knowing their disease will kill them and forcing them to have to endure it right to the last breath very very inhuman.. No animal on the face of this earth gets treated with such abuse.. I understand the right to life but one should have the right to die in circumstances such as this.. Forcing them to endure it when they want to die is cruelty.. I am not saying family members are cruel but the country is.. A family member should never have to be put in that position but that is always the case and its really sad because as i say.. no animal gets treated like this it gets put out of its misery and it dont even have a say on the matter...

IT`S A HORRIBLE THING TO DO BUT IF THERE`S NO CURE OR THERE`S LITTLE HOPE OF GETTING BETTER AND THE PATIENT WANTS TO END IT THEN YES

Just my take on the subject:
When the founding fathers of our nation drafted the Declaration of independence, they listed our inalienable rights as Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. These words were written in a time when it was common for a man to fight a duel over matters of honor, and even take his own life to save his family shame in cases of crime or scandal. In short, They also believed a man should also have the right to choose his own death and the liberty to carry it out if he thought he'd be happier for it. I don't recall the rights of hospitals, hospices, nursing homes and drug companies to get rich as they keep a person alive at the expense of everything that man has earned for himself and the future of his family.

if you think you could do it I have so much support for you as I could never do that to someone I know and love. It is probably selfish of me but I would want to spend as much time as I possibly could but at the same time want them to have peace. I can't begin to say how I would handle the situation because I have never been there and hope I never have to.

The human race in my opinion is a disgrace. They have so much sympathy for ANIMALS and will put them out of their misery in a second and yet leave a HUMAN BEING to suffer and die coked up on all sorts of A class drug substitutes until the moment they pass. You probably don't even know who you are and where you are weeks before you actually do find peace..I think the system needs to change and professionals should put people out of their misery when they are dying and cannot be saved and so OBVIOUSLY suffering.. As I said we show animals more dignity and compassion than each other..

I couldn't personally kill an animal either but America for example will put a human down for killing another person so it should show similiar albeit sympathetic not hatred approach to the terminally ill and fulfill the wish to die peacefully if they want to.. To refuse that I think shows their death penalty is not peaceful because they would back it up as an option if it was.

Wish you all the best in the world and cannot fathom the difficulty of your situation.

Back