My mom shouts then apologizes

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Living with your parents is hell, I don't recommend it to people who want to do something with their lives.

I moved out of the family home when I was 18.

In 2008 we sold granny's old apartment and bought a new one at the height of the construction boom.

In 2009 the residental complex was completed, far off suburb of Sofia.

I was happy and felt optimistic about the future.

In mid 2009 when the Great Depression hit just as they were ready to fit in the windows and give us the keys the construction company declared bankruptcy.

I moved in back to parent's house with granny, and from then on everthing went downhill.

My parents are devastated, we paid hundreds of thousdans of euros.

Banks don't give loans to construction companies, new apartments remain empty, no one buys anything.

Mom and dad suffer some sort of mental breakdown from time to time, they say they feel sick.

My mom shouts at me, has anger outbursts then comes to apologize.

I feel awful.

For how long is this fucking crisis going to continue :sm (20):

It's absolutely ruining people's lives.

Meaters
Its affecting everyone.
I'm saddened by your plight.
I hope this world can get back on its feet.
Theres always a flat for you to stay when your CDG's Leader.
HERE, HERE!
FOR THE GREAT MEATERS!

Sorry to hear about that, Meatpie. Sounds like a very difficult environment to be in. Keep thinking positive and things will work out for you.

Thanks for your replies.

We have very close family friends, we grew up together. They too bought new homes that should have been completed in 2009.

I recently talked with them and none of them has yet managed to move in, all construction projects were put on halt.

:sm (20):

Now they promise they will be ready by december but I don't believe them.

At least my dad was smart enough to change our contract so we can claim a compensation.

Very good meaters

Do not worry. They can not continue delaying finishing the project for ever....(although in Balkans - including my country - stories about "people with authority' stealing money are very common....What can I say.Be patient....

Thanks for your replies.

We have very close family friends, we grew up together. They too bought new homes that should have been completed in 2009.

I recently talked with them and none of them has yet managed to move in, all construction projects were put on halt.

:sm (20):

Now they promise they will be ready by december but I don't believe them.

At least my dad was smart enough to change our contract so we can claim a compensation.

Do you have courts for settling bankruptcies? If so, the families involved may be able to ask for a judgment that would allow another contractor to finish the job. Then, your original contractor would be required to pay for the work even if it means liquidating their assets.

Another possibility is shared work. The contractor would allow the tenants to do some of the work and then reimburse them by an agreed upon amount. Tenants usually do painting, trim work and installation of cabinets. That way the work gets done sooner.

A third possibility is where the tenants loan the contractor enough money to get the work done. But, the contractor has to finish and pay them back within an agreed upon time and with interest. This one can be kind of risky.

In any case, the tenants may want to get together and hire a contract lawyer to keep things moving. You should have certain rights. A promise of completion means nothing unless written up as a contract. Sometimes, you have to get tough with contractors. Bankruptcy should not be an easy out for them. Besides, the contractor could demonstrate good faith by a least doing some work There is no good reason for them to simply stop. Their promise may be a delay tactic while they file for protection from creditors and try to shift assets.

Its a good time to start taking photos and documenting everything so materials don't start disappearing.

He promised work will resume in a matter of weeks, I will post again on how things develop.

Hi Meatpie:
i dont know what the current situation is, but it sounds as though the builder who went bankrupt had either his loans called by the bank(s) and couldnt pay because the units were not finished and no loans could be gotten on them for people. If your parents had paid in cash in advance as
many seemed to do in Bulgaria at the time, thenthe money given to the builder may have been mixed in as a bulk with the other money and the builder still could not pay when the banks called his loans. Your parents might be able to get a very sharp attorney there to seek damages from breach for mishandling the funds, but i woul suspect that enough time has now elapsed that it might not be much help.

When will this all end? unfortunately, not for a truly long time.

Back