Enty visited this city...

I had no idea Sofia was so big. It looks clean, especially the metro station. nothing like the Boston, which is often dirty, and the metro stations are nasty :(

Boston subway doesn't look that bad on pics from wikipedia....

800px-MBTA_services_sampling_excluding_MBTA_Boat.jpg

What about trams then? They look a bit outdated though.

It's the stations underground that are disgusting. The homeless people sleep in them and piss everywhere and the garbarge is everywhere. not very clean. some of the equipment is a bit outdated but the trains are pretty good.

I had no idea they allow this in Boston. Aren't they any cameras and security officers?

This cannot happen in the Sofia metro - cameras and police officers at every station.

BTW Sofia was badly bombed in WWII by American planes, "The Allies".

Bulgaria later joined the Allies.

Crazy messed up world.

They let them stay there especially in the winter, since there are not enough homeless shelters, or they don't want to go to the shelters. as long as they are not bothering the riders, they leave them alone. so most of the homeless people will stay way down the end of the platforms out of the way.

sorry to hear about the heavy bombing. it is such a shame that so much of old the architecture was destroyed during WWII. it is a pity for a country to lose it's history.

Damn it! Why don't they show this on CNN or publish it on Boston's wikipedia article.

For people outside the US it seems like the perfect city, clean and well-maintained.

But from your posts I gather that is not the case.

In the Sofia metro beggers are not allowed to enter or stay, cameras and security everywhere.

Do you have a lot of homeless people in Boston man?

Thats horrible esp now when it so cold.

There are hundreds of homeless people here....as well as street dogs.

Boston is a great city to visit and as cities go not a bad place to live. It is full of history for those who are history buffs. Overall they try to keep the city clean but like everywhere funds are limited and people are often lazy and throw their trash anywhere. I am sure it is probably like this in most large cities.

Boston has it's share of homeless but there are two types of homeless. The first are the ones down on their luck and can not afford a place to live. Housing in Boston is very expensive. Apartments start at about $800 a month for a studio (one room) and that is not in a very good neighborhood. A nice one bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood will cost about $1,300 per month plus your heat and electric. Not easy to afford if you are making 7-8 an hour. The city does have shelters but they are often full. The other group of homeless are the mentally ill, drug dependent, or alcholics and these people are the ones that stay in subway stations. They do not like to go to the shelters because the shelters do not allow drugs or alcohol in them.

On the bright side, we don't have a dog problem....yet!

Damn, why is rent so expensive?

$800 is two months salary here!

Boston is a small city and no room for expansion. It has the ocean on the east, and cities and towns on the North, South, and West so there is no land to build. They only way to make new housing is to tear something down. As a result, housing is scarce and expensive.

I guess it was even more expensive during the height of the property bubble?

Sounds similar to NYC except maybe the rent's a little more affordable in Boston. We have homeless people in the subways too but not near as many as in the past. It's not too bad a problem here I don't think.

Back