Major TV channel in Bulgaria shuts down because of Financial Ruin

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
A prominent Bulgarian TV station has popped up a message on its website telling its viewers they channel is no longer in operation.

The reason they give is the devastating worldwide econimic crisis. The TV supported itself entirely on advertisements played between programmes.

But advertising has been hit hard by the global downturn and profits have plummeted.

I have close friends who work there - I have known these people for years and they have helped me a lot. They have never been without a job bcause they are professionals with years of experience.

Hundreds are left unemployed now, only from this TV.

:sm (41):

Nowhere is safe, you can lose your job at any time no matter what you do. At least here.

In March, another prominent company closed down and the company I worked for also declared bankruptcy and shut down operation.

Its fucking sad seeing people loosing their jobs in such huge numbers, when is this gonna stop?

:sm (20):

California sucks as well. The weather is perfect but the state is broke.
Our unemployment rate is up to 19% in my county.
I work with schizophrenic adults so I have some job security.

the situation in China is better. although it's hard too here to find a job but you can always get one if you are not too picky.

a lot of foreigners , unable to find jobs in their own country, have come to China for job. they are paid well here, much better than the Chinese natives.

meatpie, maybe you should think about moving to another country. you are young and intelligent i can't see why you can't find a job.

I work with schizophrenic adults so I have some job security.

You are truly amazing person vihrmin. What exactly are your responsibilities?

the situation in China is better. although it's hard too here to find a job but you can always get one if you are not too picky.

I watched a new German documentary about jobs in China. They filmed young Chineese men in Shanghai, they were all around 20 years old and unemployed. They searched for jobs and although they offered them jobs it was all manual labour and for $400 a month.

That's really low pay and in a big city like Shanghai their money was enough only to pay rent and buy food.

Three guys lived in one room, two even slept on one bed.

Also in Shanghai they showed a lot of people begging on the street and in metro stations.

As I said this is a movie from 2009, I have never been to China I get all my information from movies and stuff I find on the internet.

In my area there are no jobs.

I have two cousins who want to do manual labour - they are both construction workers. But all construction has stopped so they just sit at home and wait for pensioners to call them to help keep the garden for food.

Their parents are both unemployed.

All factories - I really mean all - shut down. Its a vicious circle.

If I go abroad I will be very poor, no home and I will be a slave - working in a factory although I have university degree.

I will just wait for the situation to improve but all predictions say 2010 will be even worse than 2009.

meatpie , i'm sorry for your situation. i give you my best wishes that the situation would improve soon.

Friend, i have to say what you saw on this German documentary is not true.

i live in Shenyang, a city less developed than Shanhai, but even here, the minimum pay is 300 per month. people who earns less than that, the government will give them pension. in fact, most people can make at least 600 yuan here in shenyang, only a few people need government's relief.

i have never been to shanghai myself but i have friends and a cousin working there. they told me the average income in shanghai is much higher in shenyang, around 2000yuan a month.
as for those who are doing manual labor for 400 yuan per month only enough to pay rent and food, they are minority, most of them are uneducated and from poor rural areas. For them, 400 yuan, sharing one bed with another person is much better life than the one they led in their hometown. i think there are people like them everywhere even in the richest country in the world. i wonder why the person who made that documentary only focus on those people instead of those living a comfortable life who are majority in Shanghai.

Back