Bulgarians knew how to deal with their undead.

alexonedeath

Mortua sed non sepulta!
Vampire-Proofing Your Village
Volume 65 Number 5, September/October 2012
by Matthew Brunwasser

vampire-like graves

vampire.gif

Among more than 600 rather typical graves found in a church graveyard in the Bulgarian Black Sea town of Sozopol were a pair of skeletons bearing witness that at least two of the town’s inhabitants were thought to require special treatment after death. One of the skeletons had a plowshare-like object driven through the left side of his rib cage, while the other had an unidentifiable metal object in his solar plexus. According to archaeologist Dimitar Nedev, head of the Sozopol Archaeological Museum, who found the skeletons, these burials are evidence of protection against vampirism—the belief that the dead would leave their graves.

The site includes two overlapping churches in use from the sixth to seventeenth centuries, and although Nedev was able to date the two graves to the fourteenth century, he says there is little information about who they might have belonged to. During the Middle Ages, Bulgaria was famous for practicing Manichean Bogomilism. The sect called for a return to the teachings of early Christianity and a rejection of the political ambitions of the reigning ecclesiastical authorities, Nedev says. "The Christian rituals practiced then—and now—still included many pagan elements," he explains. Such rituals are "particularly well preserved" in the Sozopol site, as well as in the surrounding Strandzha region.

Bulgaria has some 100 other known "vampire" burials, but Nedev is quick to take a friendly jab at the "explosive" interest at the Sozopol site vampires. "It is not as if the word ‘vampire’ was written on their foreheads or they had very long teeth," he says with a smile.

How do they know the metal was driven in AFTER death? Maybe just BEFORE?

How do they know the metal was driven in AFTER death? Maybe just BEFORE?

Mr. PC, you must keep in mind these were the bodies of suspected vampires, and thus not exactly dead OR alive. Such creatures DO, however, assume a horizontal and inanimate posture during the hours of daylight. That is when, as Bulgarians knew, it was safest to deal with them. Impale their evil hearts and stop them forever!

Surely you don't suggest the remains described were simply murder victims. That takes all the fun out of the article. :[

Mr. PC, you must keep in mind these were the bodies of suspected vampires, and thus not exactly dead OR alive. Such creatures DO, however, assume a horizontal and inanimate posture during the hours of daylight. That is when, as Bulgarians knew, it was safest to deal with them. Impale their evil hearts and stop them forever!

Surely you don't suggest the remains described were simply murder victims. That takes all the fun out of the article. :[

Aha, a good way to commit the perfect crime.
"No, your honour, I didn't kill him, he wasn't even truly alive to start with."
For me, that adds a lot of fun to the article :smirk:!

I dont understand the history of vampyrism and the logic of it.

You drive a stake through a mans heart and bury him so he doesnt rise from the dead. Does this insinuate that if you remove the stake he would return?

Why would you plunge a stake into the heart of a man to stop him coming back? When it could be removed and he can come back? I dont understand the logic assuming they genuinely believed this?

Why wouldn't you cut out and remove his heart entirely? That's what I would do.

Brazilian Cartels do not accept death until the boys heart has been removed and the head. With Muslims it is just the head.

With me it would be just the Heart. I would cut it out of all my victims

Bulgarian brought me here, I have a growing fancination with young muscular bulgarian men and am looking for Heart related deaths. the dream of extracting the live pumps from some of the guys I follow on instagram fills me with such mouth watering joy..

Last edited:
Back