South Korea Capsize April 2014

Art Of War

INSTIGATOR
Fist of all let me state the obvious, when you are told to stay in place, eg, in your cabins and the ship is tilting at least 20 degrees minimum, it is time to more up to the outside decks, as the 20 degree list mark is starting to get into the danger zone.

There was a video on line of this guy leaning up against the wall of the ship, which was on a tilt of 45ish degree. If a ship is tilting at 45 degree angle, you are definitely in trouble if you are below decks.

If the evacuation order was given at the right time, at least 100 people maximum average would have died due to the ship sinking in less than 40mins (approx at this stage). Basing this assumption on what I know about evacuation times in disasters via the Exodus software reconstruction of disasters and the bottleneck areas where people die.

I understand why one of the reasons the Captain did give the evacuation order sooner due to passenger safety. The waters where the ship capsize is naturally rough and also according to ship safety procedures, one of the reasons passengers are told to stay in their cabins is to minimize harm from moving furniture.

In this case, the passengers should of been advised to move to their designated evacuation areas.

I am confident, that the Captain, did not follow the Ship Companies Risk Assessment and Disaster Management Plans properly or the Ship companies plans in these areas was not so good anyways.

What shocks me the most, is that the Captain waited so long to start evacuating which makes me ask myself how much does the captain know about Limit of Positive Stability and other similar stuff and how well trained was he in these ares by bis company and also to a greater extend how much training other ship Captains has in these ares also. My guess in not enough.

Shocking how a captian is not aware or remembers the tilt danger zones of a ship.

Last edited:
Back