I don't understand a title from the English newspaper "The Sun" - Please Help

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
I don't understand a title from the English newspaper "The Sun" - Please Help

There is an article about swine flu today in THE SUN but I have no idea what the title is saying, can anyone help?

:sm (20):

The title says "Swine flu: Whose idea was a Mexican hen do?"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2406357.ece

Ohhh wtf, why are british papers using such titles?

English is among the most difficult languages to learn. You can manage basic grammar yes, but those puns, the play on words and the large number of idioms, really confuse me.

I spent 15 minutes ponding what the title refers to and I still can't get it.

Is it a pun? Or and idiom? Hen is a female bird? :(

And to tell you the truth some idioms in English don't make any sense to me.

Like "we had a whale of a time".

Also from THE SUN, they refer to Prince Harry's hair as a mop?

So mop can mean dirty, messy hair? Or is it something else?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/article2406150.ece

And under the pic it says "Harry...pub boast to pals".

I don't understand this too. Maybe refering to Prince Harry boasting about his hair to his friends in a pub?

HEEELLLPPP!!

:(

The Sun is a crap paper!
A 'hen do' is a party before a wedding, where the bride and her female friends go out and get drunk - but god knows what it has got to do with swine flu.
A mop is a sort of brush with a long handle, used wet with a bucket for cleaning floors

So ypou can see why untidy hair is described as a 'mop' - that one actually makes some sense

Wow...we didnt know what a hen do is here in America! Thanks!

The Sun is a crap tabloid paper- which quite often prints exaggerated stories and lies. It's just a rubbish paper with a page 3 girl with her titties out!
If you want to read the truth buy The Times or The Guardian- not The Sun, The Star, The Daily Mail.

I assume a bunch of girls got together and went to Mexico for their "Hen do" and maybe one has caught swine flu.
I'm scottish by the way.

hi nice to meet you. some of our best members here are from scotland

if the sun is crap as you say, why is it the most read paper in the UK?

hi nice to meet you. some of our best members here are from scotland

if the sun is crap as you say, why is it the most read paper in the UK?

It's the most read paper because the majority of people in Britain are working class and not highly educated. They like the paper because it's not too serious and it's quite right wing as well (conservative).
To me it's trash. Google TABLOID and it will explain better.
I love Scotland- it's the best country in the world!

Some of the topics are exaggarated yes and there are no serious analyses.

What makes Scotland the best country in the world?

I've never visited but I will do so as soon as I get enough money to afford it?

Is it cheaper compared to the England?

Here is Bulgaria's most read paper, my parents and granny regularly buy it.

preslava_weekend.jpg

But you canot afford newspaper honey :sm (53):

Hahaha so funny :sm (31):

no not funny at all.

You are not funny Opasan, you don't know me, you don't know anything about my life - what I can afford, and what I cannot.

Meatpie,
Prices in scotland are the same as in England - same state, same currency (for the moment, anyway). though prices do vary a bit from place to place - city centres and rural areas are the most expensive generally.
Scotland speaks the same language as England (except for a little Gaelic still spoken in the most remote areas), but there are some different words and in some areas there is a strong accent - English people often have difficutly understanding a Glaswegian accent (that's the accent spoken in Glasgow), but the Edinburgh accent is much easier for us. I live near Newcastle, , about 60 miles (100km) from the Scottish border. The accent is very different but some of the words are more Scottish than southern English (and some words are more Danish too, bevcause of the Vikings and the trade across the North Sea.
England and Scotland are both beautiful countries, but the best country in Britian is Wales - that has beauitiful mountains and coast and woods, and its own language (Welsh) which is still widely spoken (though everyone can speak English too). welsh is a beautiful language - I can't speak it but if i lived in wales I would want to learn it.
The Sun is probably our worst paper - ill-informed, bigoted, twists things, stirs up hate. If you like tabloid papers, The Mirror is much less bad. But we have good paprs too - I read the Guardian, the Independent also has some good thoughtful items, and the Times and Telegraph are also intelligent (though I don't like their politics).

Very very informative! Thank you.

What about the weather? Many people complain it rains a lot?

Generally the further west or north you are in Britain, the more it rains - so Wales, the Lake district and western scotland are very wet (the |Lake district is probably the most beautiful part of england, in the northwest corner just before Scotland - mountains, lakes and woods). But the wetter areas tend to be mild - in the east it is much drier and sunnier on average, but when it does rain it is a cold raw rain.

Back