mxboots888

Forum Legend
In the spirit of Meat's post on his hobby with trains, here are one of my hobbies - building unusual clocks from obsolete East European (Ukraine, Lithuania, Russia) "Nixie" vacuum tubes which were used in the old military electronic equipment. Some of the boxes I've used are from Polish keepsake boxes the rest I built from scratch as you can see from the pics. A few of them use GPS so they set themselves automatically to the correct time. The clock with 1 digit tells time by sequencing the time. :aha:

This is awesome, nice hobby

Thanks phyzzique, that's one of my favorites and most difficult because of the wooden enclosure. The oscilloscope clock was also difficult due to working with metal parts and almost being electrocuted (about 1000V) and ending up on this site :hahahahha:

Wow, wow, wow! What amazing dudes we have here, that's an awesome hobby, I like this one best:

Work of art dude. Thanks for sharing with us. :good job:

Your attic is very clean btw.

Thanks Meat. Ya, in terms of art, I think my fave is the oscilloscope clock, although the word clock is a close second. If you notice the styling of the latter, it's fashioned after Frank Lloyd Wright, the famous American architect. Going back to the oscilloscope clock, the metal base is actually an inverted kitchen buffet server tray. It was murder to drill as it is made of stainless steel. :very angry:

Anyway, I like clocks as there is something very ethereal about the passage of time; that you can never recapture it as the seconds tick away.

BTW, I meant attic in a metaphorical sense only :aha:

I once made a working pendulum clock out of matchsticks and a few thin metal rods.It was some time ago when I was in Prison in England.I still have photo of it if anyone wants to see this.

I once made a working pendulum clock out of matchsticks and a few thin metal rods.It was some time ago when I was in Prison in England.I still have photo of it if anyone wants to see this.

Oh ya, please post! I'm always curious to see what clocks others have built. I still have a boxed pendulum clock kit made of cardboard which I've had for years but never got the time to build yet!

Here is clock,thanks for encouragement to post

Here is clock,which was pendulum clock,this the only picture,clock thown out some time ago

Last edited:
Shit!

Do not post image tags around your link, just the bbcode from imagebam!

Here is clock,thanks for encouragement to post

Here is clock,which was pendulum clock,this the only picture,clock thown out some time ago

Thanks to Meatpie for your patience,Thanks to Physique for your reply.Later will attempt larger image,got wrong image size.I do think that more stuff on members interests outside CGGs would be interesting.

Wow, most excellent matchstick clock Risley. Was that from a kit? Or did you follow some building plans or did you just build it out of thin air? Those are mighty big matchsticks though! Good job! This might motivate me to start working on my cardboard pendulum clock!:good job 2:

Here's another clock I made but haven't housed it yet. It's made from old analog panel meters where I changed the gradations with number of hours, minutes, and seconds, so the needle moves slowly upward, then when it reaches the top, it drops back down to the beginning.

CIMG0004.jpg

CIMG0001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi MXBoots,
The clock made from normal sized matches.Designed by myself,it was first attempt so had some peculiar features eg pendulum was 2.4 metres long I think,pendulum designed to be in front of clock dial.Metal rods for axles obtained from prison workshop for me,price one Mars Bar I think.The consrtuction was similar to some early wooden clocks I later found out,ie axles first fixed by wedges into frame.
I like your clocks which have functional beauty.Have you made any mechanical clocks?

Wow, that's a looooooong pendulum. Maybe you just need more gears ;)

In answer to your question, no, I haven't made any mechanical ones. Hopefully the cardboard one will be my first :yes:

Back