jon_b

Forum Elite
Last week while visiting a site to check for pics - the site dumped some malicious software on my system.

This sytem has loads of expensive stuff on it - much from microsoft. It was protrected by Microsoft Security Essentials. It never squeeked! The software set up home on my system and caused havoc. The crappy prog then politely suggested I might have an infection!!!!

It has been retired - and substituted with Kaspersky, which found several trojans and viruses, which had never shown up with MS Sec Essentials! Meanwhile I am really busy, and the sytem has slowed down and my desktop is corrupted. Kaspersky says it will need 14 days to complete the rest of the scanning (7.5 terabytes). It may have killed off the virus but cleanup is not very good.

This has caused much stress!!!! If you use Microsoft Security Essentials - be alert to my experience. Personally - I will never trust it again!!

I use Norton, so far so good. Sorry for your problem, Jon

jon,
same shit happened to my laptop 2 weeks ago,
had to buy a new acer lappie, it was a real bitch,
wouldnt let nothing run.
it would override everything, finally said screw
it and just smashed the piece of shit and got the
new one............

Terrible, just terrible.
And so, so HYPERTENSION creating stressful !!

MICROSOFT has the SHITTIEST programs,
including Microsoft Word 10.
So fuckin' difficult to learn, navigate and master.
I know, yous guys ... MicroSHITTYsoft
DRIVES me bizerkin' into total PISSED OFFHOOD, too.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I really despise these SONS of BITCHES
and how
MicroSHITTYsoft so DOMINATES our professional business workplace
and computer world !!!

:red with anger::red with anger::red with anger::red with anger:

For SURE, JonnyB n' Stutsgo .. yous got plenty of company
hating MicroSHITTYsoft,
yous way so do!!

:very angry::very angry::very angry::very angry::very angry::very angry:

I use NOD 32
Long ago, looking for CDGs on web, It opened a window similar to a antivirus, but it was really a virus, and detect the most important files of computer like virus. It locked internet. Was difficult to eliminate. This happened the day that my antivirus expired.

Were you using internet explorer? My suggestion is to never use that browser. I only use Firefox. Too many malicious programs get installed via Internet Explorer.

Were you using internet explorer? My suggestion is to never use that browser. I only use Firefox. Too many malicious programs get installed via Internet Explorer.

I agree entirely jhall.... this time Firefox was the browser I was using....i think I have now got everything - but the cleanup has not been good - a couple of progs that should fire up on startup have there settings wiped out, and I get the error "there was a problem starting gclgaf40.dll" everytime the PC starts up. - This last bit has resisted all efforts to sort it out!!

I agree entirely jhall.... this time Firefox was the browser I was using....i think I have now got everything - but the cleanup has not been good - a couple of progs that should fire up on startup have there settings wiped out, and I get the error "there was a problem starting gclgaf40.dll" everytime the PC starts up. - This last bit has resisted all efforts to sort it out!!

I would recommend you download spybot search and destroy, super antispyware free edition, and spyware blaster. Also google the keyword combofix and read the tutorial on how to use it.

I would recommend you download spybot search and destroy, super antispyware free edition, and spyware blaster. Also google the keyword combofix and read the tutorial on how to use it.

thanks jhall - will follow this up this am.

I use AVG Professional, seems to be pretty good. And spybot as a back-up, though it's ages since it picked up anything AVG didn't.

Thank you guys for all the tips to sort out this problem. I was ready to re-install windows, but have managed to avoid this. For the moment I am running Kaspersky, whch turned up a flurry of problems - althought it has still not finished its full scan!!!! The anti-spyware recommended above also turned up problems - now also corrected.

The error message was eiminated by searching the registry for changes (which I got from a security website) and manually deleting these. The trojan/malware deleted previous registry backups - so I was unable to turn the system back.

There are still progs not starting correctly - I need to work on these. The time needed has been considerable, and the impact on my work considerable - during a period when I was already VERY busy.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice given by our CDG members above - I am very grateful :bow:

Last edited:
I got so fed up with microcrap 10 years ago i threw all of my windows computers out and switched to mac's, never regretted the decision. Got to admit though I liked the mac better before it became so trendy over past couple of years.

I got so fed up with microcrap 10 years ago i threw all of my windows computers out and switched to mac's, never regretted the decision. Got to admit though I liked the mac better before it became so trendy over past couple of years.

A friend runs his system on Linux - and really likes it. Macs would be great for the image work I do and for photoshop - unfortunately my system needs to be windows based to integrate with my employes stuff, who are very good at giving me great software - but its all for windows !! :dunno:

I use linux since years.....no spyware and other malware....and it is easy to learn (opensuse kubuntu etc.)

Back