We may be witnessing New Zealand's darkest day': PM says 65 killed in quake
February 22, 2011 - 5:40PM
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key says 65 people died in the earthquake that devastated Christchurch today.

''The death toll I have at the moment is 65 and that may rise. So it's an absolute tragedy for this city, for New Zealand, for the people that we care so much about,'' Mr Key told TVNZ. ''It's a terrifying time for the people of Canterbury.''

At least 65 killed in Christchurch quake
New Zealand Prime MInister John Key has confirmed at least 65 people are dead after a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck the city of Christchurch.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key says 65 people died in the earthquake that devastated Christchurch today.

''The death toll I have at the moment is 65 and that may rise. So it's an absolute tragedy for this city, for New Zealand, for the people that we care so much about,'' Mr Key told TVNZ. ''It's a terrifying time for the people of Canterbury.''

As thousands of shocked people wandered the rubble-strewn streets of Christchurch after today's devastating and deadly earthquake, emergency workers were searching for survivors.

The 6.3 magnitude quake - classed by experts as an aftershock to last September's 7.1 quake - struck at 12.51pm (10.51am AEDT).

http://www.smh.com.au/world/we-may-...m-says-65-killed-in-quake-20110222-1b356.html

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/...stchurch/20110222-1b3a5.html?selectedImage=23

Horrible disaster, I hope they manage to pull out those trapped, what a nightmare.

Australia and New Zealand have suffered a lot of natural disasters in the past few months, let's hope Earth gives those poor people a break.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this horrific disaster.

Strong earthquake at shallow depth = major destruction.

I hope they find those missing alive and well, Christchurch looks like a beautiful city.

it is...well it was a beatiful city indeed, and i hope it will become a beautiful city again soon

I don't want to sound mean but do you really believe there is a point in rebuilding Christchurch as it lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire, destructive earthquakes will happen again. Maybe relocate? Or start building like the Japanese?

If I lived in Christchuch I would do my best to move out. Cities on the pacific ring of fire are disasters waiting to happen, Tokyo and LA are megacities sitting on time bombs as well as Istanbul and Tehran.

Sofia, Bulgaria will aslo very likely be destroyed by an earthquake as it has been many times in the past.

All in all, half the Earth's population lives in earthquake prone areas. :unreal:

Hope the people of New Zealand manage to recover quickly from this disaster.

Someone snapped this photo of Christchurch seconds after the earthquake hit showing dust shooting into the air as buildings in the downtown area collapse.

article-1359865-0D54375A000005DC-393_964x178.jpg

Christchurch earthquake death toll rises to 113 with hundreds still missing

The number of confirmed dead from the Christchurch earthquake has climbed to 113, with grave fears held for 228 people still missing.By Paul Chapman in Wellington 7:08AM GMT 25 Feb 2011
Search and rescue teams from six nations combing the rubble of collapsed buildings refused to give up hope of finding anyone else alive but acknowledged the chances were looking bleak.
No survivor has been pulled from the mangled and twisted wreckage since Wednesday.
Superintendent Dave Cliff said the rain could make already dangerous masonry and buildings even more unstable.
"Rescue staff are operating in highly dangerous and volatile situations, and we are continually reassessing the risks."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rises-to-113-with-hundreds-still-missing.html

What a complete utter nightmare, especially for those trapped, I hope they manage to pull more survivors.

you are totally right pieman, it is kinda a waste of time rebuilding the city, god knows when it will happen again:dunno: may be they should relocate the city centre:not sure:

because the quake happened in the city centre and thats why so many have died, the city centre is now basicly vanished as you see in the photo :(

I think the whole of Christchurch better be reolcated or if survivors insist on staying they should build earthquake resistant buildings, it's such a shame that so many were trapped, perhaps if structures could remain standing wven for a few minutes people will be able to escape.

Some modern buildings just pancaked in the first few seconds leaving all residents trapped, it's a horrific fate.

One of the reason causing the buildings to collapse so badly is that they didnt get a make over since last years earthquake happened in the same place :/

yeah & also "harmonics"; in LA some mid-rise buildings collapsed during the Northridge event; skyscrapers like U.S. Bank Tower, (73 levels) did fine--its the vibrations & type of wave that makes the difference--I've rocked & rolled on level 52 of 333 South Hope Street (Bank of America Plaza) during events; its fucking amazing to see, hear & feel the whole tower twist, bend, & snap back! It's built on rollers, as are most new EQ-resistant structures . . . at home we are almost on top of the San Andreas, so I'm anticipating a really big party when that mother snaps . . . Christchurch is such a horrible tragedy, & an example of why those in "Earthquake Country" [around the globe in places already mentioned] should have contigency plans in place--remember, its not if, but when . . .

Back